xisto Community
byte

What Program Do You Use To Design Your Web? Frontpage, Dreamweaver, a good text editor?

me, i would prefer using dream weaver in web design signing cause it is much easier doing your layout and coding in dream weaver. Though I usually use dream weaver just to layout my web design and do the logic and backend part of the design in vim (a linux text editor) cause my web server is linux.

I'm a web designer with tons of experience. I've used alot of programs to write my code. I prefer Adobe Dreamweaver cs3. why cs3 it has more features to use. Before i started using Dreamweaver i used Adobe Golive. I actually liked Golive it was decent. but then adobe stopped making golive so i had to switch to dreamweaver.

I've been making websites for years, and I've played briefly with FrontPage (hated it), Dreamweaver, and the like, but tools like that never caught on with me. I prefer to do the graphic design part in Adobe Photoshop, and all the coding I do by hand. I used to use Notepad for that but Unix quickly switched me over to vim. I've also used EditPlus at work to do application coding, and I like that program a lot too, though I definitely prefer vim.Recently I took a look at Adobe Fireworks, and it looked promising. When I upgrade to CS3, I think I may use that.

Well, to make my design I use photoshop. I read some tutorials, think, design it and then slice it.After I slice it, I edit it with dreamweaver, so I can add content and style.And then for the coding part(in PHP) I mainly use phpDesigner, because its easy, nice, and debugs the script.But you can also code in dreamweaver, so it doesnt really matter which one I use to code. And both of themhas a FTP editor, so you can easily upload/update your designed page.- optiplex

Hello,It is best when combinate more programs, say I made a navigation in the DHTML sothink manager, Layout I made in Photoshop, and into the site in Adobe Flash.Na end all I make in dreamweaweru.But Unfortunately, I have used the free hosting, so my site more no on the web. :)

I have moved over to ubuntu about 2 months ago and I am almost extremely happy with my webdesign and programming. Gimp is really awesome when you get used to it, its like a photoshop although not as neat, but it can still produce awesome images depending on your skill. For the rest of the programming (js, php, css) I use the text editor. Its not wysiwyg but thats ok, because I am already used to doing it without seeing wysiwyg. My only complaint though, is that I need windows xp to see webpages in internet explorer, to see how they look in versions 6 and 7 (ie tab does not work under firefox linux!!! :@). Sometimes I also need to use flash, so I really cant go linux all the way. Its nice to have both OS though, hopefully I will get a mac soon, so that I can have all 3 os :)

Dreamweaver is the best design suite on the market. It is pricy but well worth it if you design or update sites frequently. In my opinion Dreamweaver is actually easier to use than frontpage. I tried frontpage and as stated above it sucked. I guess since I started with Dreamweaver and actually don't use Microsoft products except Windows XP, (upgraded to XP after I bought a Vista laptop. Hated slow going Vista. Ubuntu is the Best or Kbuntu, mythbuntu or edubuntu etc etc.). Sooner or later the free os's are going to catch Windows. With a couple more releases Ubuntu will probably be the one.So in summary if you can afford it the entire CS3 Suite would be the best way to go. BTW Adobe now owns Macromedia so it is Adobe Dreamweaver now.AND... Dreamweaver 8 works with zero problems using WINE in Ubuntu. Just thought you would like to know....

Edited by rwperkinsjr (see edit history)

When it comes to web design i use flash, photo shop and dreamweaver. I have my own business its clubnet-host I specialize in flash. It's my favorite thing to do when it comes to design. If you want to you can check out a couple of my sites i have done with flash. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and mine that i'm currently working on right now http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I started doing web design when i was 13. I have had experiences when people didn't like my design so the left. I know how that feels. Being turned down, i was sick and didn't feel good but the company still asked me to do it. When i got done they loved it but the person that i was doing it for hated. so it shows how much people don't appreaciate what you can do for them. Now i run my own busisness at home and i couldn't be more happier. If you need some help on anything just email me and ill help you on any web design. Email: webmaster@clubnet-host.com

I prefer Dreamweaver.Nowadays with blog software and cms coming to the fore, stuff like Wordpress, B2, Nucleus, Joomla etc. are quite handy to build up something in a jiffy.

Personally I prefer something that is based around the source. E.G Notepad and firefox. A great one on mac is Smultron. Thats if thats how you like to work. If you prefer WYSIWYG, Nvu is my fave for that. Frontpage is good too

I have used dreamweaver for quite a long time...and I find it very useful..A beginner may find it quite difficult to use ..but, afterwards...he would find it most useful and powerful application of its kind that are available.

I see that lots of people use Dreamweaver here, and, yes, it has got some extremely brilliant features.

However, as someone mentioned before, it is very pricy, and the second objection I have is that, like practically all Adobe programs, it can be extremely difficult to use.

I have, on occasions used Dreamweaver too, but, while I did get fairly decent results, I imagine I was barely scratching the surface.

It can of course be expected, since it is a professional program (I think I am not wrong in saying most professional web developers use Dreamweaver), that there would be lots and lots to learn.

That is why I use Coffeecup, from Coffeecup Software.

It has lots of features, is very intuitive and fairly easy to use, it is also reasonably cheap and it yields good results.

If anyone is looking for decent web developing software, it might be worth paying their website a visit at this location.

You can find demo versions of the program there, some software comes free too and apart from the web site developer, they have lots of interesting programs which can be very useful to add certain functions to your web site.

They also have a very comprehensive forum, support is very good, and, as mentioned before, all programs are very easy to learn, even for the absolute beginner.