xisto Community
patrickcurl

Christmas 2.0 -- What Do You Think?

I definitely think "Christmas" ought to go, don't get me wrong but Christmas is a consumer spending holiday, and has lost all sense of traditionalism, and faith, and religious piety.Christ was not born in December, he was more likely born around April, 90% of the traditions we use for Christmas are actually pagan rituals. And it seems we worship Santa and Xbox more than we do Christ. That's why I have a solution....Christmas(or any holiday 2.0). We can have a Web 2.0, why can't we upgrade some other American traditions, like Holidays.Under my idea of Christmas 2.0, we would personally choose when to celebrate Christmas, our Christmas celebration wouldn't have to change too much, perhaps the christmas shopping would be easier, as Walmart and Toys R Us wouldn't be able to guess when everybody is having their Christmas Celebrations.Secondly, from a business's standpoint, instead of everyone taking off for Christmas in December, thus crippling your business, your employees would let you know if they're celebrating in February, or July.Next I think we should do some research and try and fit the message of the savior more into Christmas.Imagine if somebody, somewhere was having a Christmas celebration. If Christmas could happen anytime, or any day of the year. ... If we could have multiple Christmas's...etc...imagine there are so many thousands of people world wide, how many are making love right now as you read this? How many are taking someone else's life? How many are sleeping? How many are dieing of Cancer? How many are just being born, and beginning their great journey? I think it would be cool, to add the thought 'How many are celebrating Christmas tonight.." Perhaps if just one person celebrates christmas everyday, perhaps it will make a major difference to the whole world.Let me know what you think!

Christ was not born in December, he was more likely born around April.

Well, that's actually most probable because of the recent research about the "star" that led the three kings to the manger where he was born. The scientist traced the date when the star became a nova which resulted to a very luminous "star" during that night, and they traced that it was around April. With the astrologers, it's a sign that a great leader would be born.

(1)And it seems we worship Santa and Xbox more than we do Christ.
(2)we would personally choose when to celebrate Christmas

(1)There's already a thread here about Santa being just a "marketing strategy" during the holiday. As a catholic country, most people here don't really put the idea of santa into play, well at least not most of the time.

(2)Sometimes it becomes a cliche that people try to reconcile or have a truce because it's Christmas and the rest of the year becomes a continuous cycle of problems, which is a bad thing. In a sense, the idea of Christmas is peace and if we could apply it to our daily lives, things could be better. and as cheezy as it may sound, this would progress towards world peace. It doesn't have to be Christmas for people to reconcile their differences.

our Christmas celebration wouldn't have to change too much, perhaps the christmas shopping would be easier, as Walmart and Toys R Us wouldn't be able to guess when everybody is having their Christmas Celebrations.
Secondly, from a business's standpoint, instead of everyone taking off for Christmas in December, thus crippling your business, your employees would let you know if they're celebrating in February, or July.

I love the shopping rush during the holidays (although I love it more during the end of the year instead of before Christmas). I think changing the dates of Christmas depending on the people would make things more difficult, to the businesses, their planning would be messed up and probably affect all over sales. For the people, having a definite date for Christmas also allows them to set their plans, and it would become easier to remember as compared to randomly selecting a Christmas date. It's more of a convenience to the people.

(1)Next I think we should do some research and try and fit the message of the savior more into Christmas.
(2)Imagine if somebody, somewhere was having a Christmas celebration. If Christmas could happen anytime, or any day of the year. ... If we could have multiple Christmas's...etc...imagine there are so many thousands of people world wide, how many are making love right now as you read this? How many are taking someone else's life? How many are sleeping? How many are dieing of Cancer? How many are just being born, and beginning their great journey?

I think it would be cool, to add the thought 'How many are celebrating Christmas tonight.." Perhaps if just one person celebrates christmas everyday, perhaps it will make a major difference to the whole world.

(1)Researching the "message" would take a lot of effort. Interpretation varies from people to people, just as religion differs to a lot of countries.

(2)Don't you think that would be more waste of resources and not advisable to some businesses? Like what I said, it doesn't have to be Christmas for people to reconcile only to end up going back to their own "selves" after. Don't take things for granted and make every moment count. It doesn't have to be as grand as Christmas for us to realize what is important, sometimes it's just in the smallest things, we find the best things in life.

There was a major hole in your logic the moment you typed it and that is in this portion:

Under my idea of Christmas 2.0, we would personally choose when to celebrate Christmas, our Christmas celebration wouldn't have to change too much, perhaps the christmas shopping would be easier, as Walmart and Toys R Us wouldn't be able to guess when everybody is having their Christmas Celebrations.
Secondly, from a business's standpoint, instead of everyone taking off for Christmas in December, thus crippling your business, your employees would let you know if they're celebrating in February, or July.

Next I think we should do some research and try and fit the message of the savior more into Christmas.

Imagine if somebody, somewhere was having a Christmas celebration. If Christmas could happen anytime, or any day of the year. ... If we could have multiple Christmas's...etc...imagine there are so many thousands of people world wide, how many are making love right now as you read this? How many are taking someone else's life? How many are sleeping? How many are dieing of Cancer? How many are just being born, and beginning their great journey?

First off how many businesses do you know that file for bankruptcy during the week of Christmas especially on the 25th? Usually none because thats when they are the most profitable especially for the late Christmas shoppers, and since it is a federal holiday as well as a religious holiday no on is working anyways as most businesses, and government offices are close minus a few skeleton crews, police, fire department and the one or two gas stations that are open. Thats the miracle of Capitalism it set up in a way that losses are expected on most major holidays so that loss is very minimal, and on top of that the stock market the heart of capitalism is close down, I think, so even more money is saved until it starts up on the 26th.

Now you second hole is the picking your day to celebrate Christmas thats impossible to pull off no matter how you see it, especially with large family's that are spread across the country or around the world. So trying to get those families to time their vacations around that and the fact that businesses are running about 300 days of the year is not good business sense either. Which leads into point two each person has a specific role in a business and if that person is not there to do it and the only person that pick up the slack is not experience then you run into down time, and loss as well.

Yes Christmas lost its meaning years ago thanks to greedy businessmen, and the almighty dollar. There could be several reasons to why this is happening, top one being people are not as religious as they once were, and I can vouch for that myself. That is of course the freedoms we are grateful to get and not be force to practice it if we don't want to. Trust people are aware about what Christmas is about, more then others, but most don't forget and thats why you could say some people can renew their religious beliefs if all for a day. You have a somewhat interesting theory going but in the business world it won't be successful even if it was implement, which it won't.

As for what MB mention about the star, I heard about the scenarios behind it such as a comet, asteroid, supernova. Of course my science maybe a bit weak but that star would have to be awfully close to pull off the light that was described in the bible, and I mean like less then a couple of lightyears and this being a very big star. A comet passing by would make more sense though. OF course I remember that as well that hte birthday was more earlier and they needed to replace the winter solstice I believe.

Well the date of christmas is not fix. So having holiday on that day is wrong. Some celebrate it on 25 dec and some 5-6 jan.But when exact date itself is unknown how can one celebrate?Even if we get the exact date, that really is not necessary to be happy on that date. Why to celebrate it, first?

Hmm, a teacher at my school was talking about this yesterday.Apparently only 1 per cent of the presents that people buy at Christmas, are still kept in 6 months.Obviously, there would be lot's of people buying food and durable stuff, but when you've got people buying computers, i-pods, mobile phones and games consoles aswell; that's a whole lot of waste.For example, with a six-month waiting list for the Wii-- here in the UK atleast, will people still want it when they can finally get their hands on it? And all this extra stuff being bought, is more waste to fill up landfills.There's also the fact that specific industries are spending their time hyping up "new" technology, which won't be so new in another six months. Companies deliberately put up these products, when they have already been developing advanced products, for sale. So when the next thing comes out they can sell that too, this way they can get the public to buy both things.Now, don't get me wrong, I think that Christmas is a great time of year, and I'm abit of a tech-geek :) , but when theres so much going to waste-- is there any point? We only get a little bit of "instant-happiness" when we first get pressies, but later they go to waste and "help" towards us wrecking our planet-- as we do-- year after year.