xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Propeng

Any Program Ideas?!

Any Program Ideas?!!  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please help me find a program idea! I'm anxious to write a program, but I'm out of app ideas! I'm a beginner, and I have a basic knowledge of the following:

The basic statements.

System.Windows.Forms

Creating classes.

Creating methods, properties and variables.

Data types: int, string, bool, double, enum, float.

SQL and databases.

Any ideas?! :)

Well... there's always the undying "Hello world." :(No, seriously, since you have knowledge of primitive classes, making GUI's and querying in SQL, you might wanna start with a tracker.My first actual project was an inventory manager; basically, it's no more than an interface to the database. If you buy some stuff, you click on "Buy Items" etc. If someone buys things off you, you click on "Sell Items" and, aside from updating the inventory, also prints out a receipt for the buying consumer.Well, you can do that or its variants, something like a project manager. I think I've also done one of these, only in PHP. Basically, you define projects and subdivide that projects into tasks, themselves capable of being subdivided into more specific tasks. Of course, for both projects, you'd need an authentication system and, for some inexplicable reason, uses tend to like having profiles in those applications. I mean, the application doesn't really need to know your position or what you look like but, I suppose, having a profile soothes any identity crisis the potential users may have :( I mean, maybe they'd think it harsh if the application told them, "Look, I just need your username and password, ok?"All kidding aside, what I'm saying is that if you're eager to get cracking, I suggest you try doing an interface to a database. I mean, yeah, it's simple and all that (No, it isn't. People like to change their minds and keep asking for more features as the project drags on :() but of course, we can't really expect non-IT people, like salespersons, admins or project managers to do queries themselves :)In any case, best of luck on your first program!

Well... there's always the undying "Hello world." :(
No, seriously, since you have knowledge of primitive classes, making GUI's and querying in SQL, you might wanna start with a tracker.

My first actual project was an inventory manager; basically, it's no more than an interface to the database. If you buy some stuff, you click on "Buy Items" etc. If someone buys things off you, you click on "Sell Items" and, aside from updating the inventory, also prints out a receipt for the buying consumer.

Well, you can do that or its variants, something like a project manager. I think I've also done one of these, only in PHP. Basically, you define projects and subdivide that projects into tasks, themselves capable of being subdivided into more specific tasks. Of course, for both projects, you'd need an authentication system and, for some inexplicable reason, uses tend to like having profiles in those applications. I mean, the application doesn't really need to know your position or what you look like but, I suppose, having a profile soothes any identity crisis the potential users may have :( I mean, maybe they'd think it harsh if the application told them, "Look, I just need your username and password, ok?"

All kidding aside, what I'm saying is that if you're eager to get cracking, I suggest you try doing an interface to a database. I mean, yeah, it's simple and all that (No, it isn't. People like to change their minds and keep asking for more features as the project drags on :() but of course, we can't really expect non-IT people, like salespersons, admins or project managers to do queries themselves :)

In any case, best of luck on your first program!

Thanks! I'll try and develop a ToDo List, and when I finish it, be sure that I'll tell you!

Try to make a pong game. That's a very nice and simple beginner's program to make. Just learn a library like SDL or Allegro first, so you can display and move images. I just hope you're using C/C++ or FreeBASIC, or another respectable, compilable language when making it, and not VisualBASIC, because it is slow, bloated, and and creates executables that resemble that.