xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blitz

Game Creation

Well, right now I can recommend a few good tools for game development. If you are using free tools, it'll take some effort to make a good game, but it's definitely possible.Graphics:-GIMP-Graphics GaleAudio:-Audacity-WAMP-Midi Maker(It'll take some effort to get something from this to sound good, though)

If you aren't skilled enough to program your own game then yes the "game creators" will cost money, but there are plenty of free compilers out there if you bothered to learn a real language. You could use a lot of the tools that DemonFire suggested to help you on your quest. Thanks for that list demon. The real price for making the game would come in paying for a team that would help you make it, if you use any classes or engines that require you to buy them (but there are plenty of game engines out there already if you want a pre-built one), and perhaps advertisement costs, and perhaps a server if you want to make a multiplayer game that isn't going to direct connect.

Also, if you really want to customize / make a game, you could actually write it yourself. Creating a simple game is not very hard and does not take that much work. There are lots of 3D game engines you can build off of or use and they offer lots more flexibility.

I really like RPG Maker XP and VX there very simple to use and worth the 60 dollars if you actually buy it unlike me <_<! Game maker is not so good, although free it lacks in many areas, I hated it lol! There are many good game creators out there and i have yet to find them but the ones I have seen so far are not really worth the money or if there free not worth being free one being quest creator! Thats all I have to say.

Yes there is free ones but i think that you should try to find a website to learn how to do programing for games and or you can go to collage. I am going to go to collage in the near future for game development and programing.

Game Maker is excellent for beginners, and is free to make games with, and costs $20 to register for extra features. It's what I use and it works great! It has a Drag and Drop mode where you can make games with no programming knowledge, and a coding mode for more advanced users called GML. Worth taking a look at, as it's VERY easy to use, and there's a lot of support for it:

http://www.yoyogames.com/

You would use XNA if you want to develop a game for the XBox and be able to distribute it through the XBox live network. However, for standard pc game you would use the directx api for it. If you are a newbie or just dont feel like dealing with the window handling and creation, use the DXUT library included in the api because it does all the callbacks for you.

I never liked a game creator, most of the times you will have problems because you can do what you want. You can't make a Zelda-like game in RPG Maker... I recomend just learn how to do programing for games =]

Game Maker works for all games, I've made shooters, platformers, RPGs, etc. It's commonly thought that Game Maker games are unprofessional, but if you can get really good at it you can make some really fancy stuff with it! http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ has some really polished and professional online Game Maker games, as a matter of fact, you wouldn't even notice they were made in it if no one told you! My favorite one there is Aces High Over Verlor Island. :P

EDIT: Oh, thought I'd mention it's not MY site, I'm just giving an example, I realized I never said that in the post. :lol:

Edited by Absolute Zer0 (see edit history)