xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Staph Infection More Deadly Than Aids Virus

A dangerous virus spreading life-threatening infections is killing more people in United States each year than AIDS virus. This was stated in an article by the Associated Press.

According to the Associated Press nearly 90,000 Americans get affected each year from a drug-resistant staph germ. 46 out of 1000 US nursing home and hospital patients are affected. Most staph cases tend to be relatively mild skin infections, but invasive infections that enter the bloodstream can easily become deadly. The apparent use of antibiotics has greatly limited the effectiveness of the countermeasures. Hospital and nursing home patients, mostly senior citizens, are the main victims, but the deadly staph infections also affect the very young.

This shows that there is a need for the better prevention measures curbing the overuse of antibiotics and improving the personal hygiene procedures among hospital workers. The hospitals should improve the standard hygiene to reduce the spread of the infections.

Learn more about Staph Infections

I'm not too impressed..we have had many treatment and prevention campaigns for AIDS and other diseases like Hep A, B or C but bacterial diseases like staph and leptospirosis have always been neglected. Add this to the fact that staphs are extremely resistant both inside and outside the human body and you'll see how dangerous this is.Later edit: and it's not a virus, it's a form of a bacteria..hope i'm not mistakin`

Edited by Arkan (see edit history)

I'm not too impressed..we have had many treatment and prevention campaigns for AIDS and other diseases like Hep A, B or C but bacterial diseases like staph and leptospirosis have always been neglected. Add this to the fact that staphs are extremely resistant both inside and outside the human body and you'll see how dangerous this is.
Later edit: and it's not a virus, it's a form of a bacteria..hope i'm not mistakin`

Staph was caught by a teacher at the school I attend.
Even though we ask about it nobody knows what happened =/

I got a couple of Staph infections when I was doing construction in one of the towns ravaged by Hurricane katrina. I had no idea they were serious. I just had a few Scotch and cokes, grabbed a fresh razor, and cut the core of the Staph outta my knee and out of the one on my *bottom* check.They went away just fine and I haven't had another one since....and it's been over a year.

hey baphomestsayer says that he has got this infection already and nothing happened he is alive to post his formums too then how can this be a deadly disease ? that too more than AIDS .He has got and now he hasnt that means there is some medication for this so i consider that this is not as deadly as AIDS because AIDS has no medication.

i have also heard about this infection.but, is this concentrated only in the US. it should be blocked from spreading across various countries. if it spreads, it will become very difficult to stop it. hope some labs comes out with some solution for this infection atleast to stop it from spreading. good luck!

Well, most viruses are more deadly than the AIDS virus, seeing as how the virus itself doesn't kill you, it's the opportunistic infections that come along while you have the virus.And yes, the strain of Staff that you are refering to is the MRSA strain also known as "Merca" and it is very deadly and can paralyze you or even lead to death.

Staph is getting a lot of press these days. With good reason. It's causing a lot of trouble.Staph is a bacterium not a virus. It has always been around. You could culture it anywhere; house, yard, hospital, skin. There are many, many species of Staph, but the one we are talking about is Staphylococcus aureus--shortened to "Staph". Within the Staph aureus species, different strains have varying degrees of resistance to antibiotics. Mostly from frequent exposure to antiobiotics. If you kill off all the Staph that are sensitive to penicillin, the only ones left are the ones resistant to penicillin. Survival of the fittest. Most Staph in the US has been resistant to penicillin for years. MRSA stands for methicillin resistant Staph aureus. (methicillin is an antibiotic) the term was adopted because it helped doctors select which antibiotic to use. If it is methicillin resistant, don't use methicillin or it's relatives.In the last 5-10 years, MRSA has been developing resistance to other antibiotics also. And the bad actor of Staph typically is an infection acquired while you are an in-patient of a hospital. These strains have been resistant to most antibiotics so are very tough to treat. Also these days if you are in the hospital you have either just had surgery, a baby or are very sick. If you aren't real sick, your insurance won't let you be there! If you get a MRSA infection in a joint, (hip, knee, etc), you have a huge problem. Usually another surgery to drain or irrigate it. Weeks or months of IV antibiotics to fix it. If you get MRSA pneumonia when you are 85 in a hospital, already weak from heart disease, kidney failure or whatever put you in there, you have a potentially lethal situation. Most of the routine skin infections you get from a cut or scrape will be Staph and depending where you live, they may well be MRSA. But at least for now, most community Staph infections can be treated with normal pills.So what can you do? First, don't take antibiotics you don't need. Wait out colds and respiratory infections. They are caused by viruses and antibiotics don't help anyway. Second, if you get an open wound, wash it thoroughly, apply ointment and bandaid. It is a lot better to avoid an infection than have to treat it. Third, if a minor infection does happen, try warm compresses or soaks. If it start to spread, streaks develop, or a lump starts to form, see your dr.Sorry for the long post, but the topic is important enough to cover in depth.

My Uncle has contracted this after having a life threatening surgerical proceedure done, with his immune system compromised already, what are his chances of surviving this?

-question by Penny

I have merca. My daughter works in health care and some of the patients she sees have merca I contracted it by touching something she had touched in our home. I thought it was a spider bite at first. When my doctor told me what it was I had no idea what she meant. I seem to be getting better on heavy doses of antibiodics. The area above my left hand is going away but very slowly. I have been in isolation most of the time and staying away from others until it is completely gone. It has been nearly three weeks so far. I will update any progress or setbacks.

infectionsStaph Infection More Deadly Than Aids VirusMy son has had an infection on the back of his calves for a very long time. He was in prison for a short time and there was an out break of a staff infection. He has no medical insurance , What would you suggest him to do. Is there an antibiotic that he should be taking and if so what type should he use.-question by debbie reyerse

My daughter got a bad staff infection in her leg and it has already hit the bone.  She has been going to the doctor alot for it and once they seen it the other day they didn't want to touch it at all because it was so down to the bone.  It was drained by the doctor and herself and as of yesterday she told me that there was nothing else coming out of it but that it doesn't look good to her.  The doctor has her on an antibotic so it might be kinda of helping if there is nothing else coming out of it. As of this monday after this weekend if it isnt looking better by monday then she will go into the hospital to have an iv put into her arm.  The problem I do not understand is why in the heck if it was getting this bad didnt they put a wick in it and have her come in every six hours into the er and have it changed out as well.  My husbands cousin got a staff infection on his wrist and they put a wick in it and had in him come in every five to six hours to have a wick put in and tooken out so that it would drain.  The only thing I can think of is that the reason the doctors didnt put a wick in my daughters wound is because it is already to the bone.  My suggestion to anyone who gets a staff infection or mrsa infection to go to the doctor and have it drained by them and don't do it yourself unless your told how to do it the right way.  I am only assuming because my daughter used a knife to drain it that it may of caused it to get worse when she pulled the scab off to drain it.  it is very gross and yuck to discuss.  I am so worried about my daughter's infection I hope soon it will go away.  It almost looks like a bad spider bite that can be deadly but this is only a staff infection because they ran a culture on it and it came back a staff infection.  The only thing I can say to anyone is that if you think you cant ever get a staff infection think again because it can happen and I am seeing my poor daughter who has one and I think she got it from another friend who had it and my daughter didn't realize the outcome of the staff untill now.  I been very much talking to my daughter about staff infection and how to try to avoid another one in the near future.  I really think that staff infection should be discussed as a major thing in school for students just like they discuss other things. 

-reply by private

Staph "MRSA"Staph Infection More Deadly Than Aids Virus

I am 27 years old and about 2 yeasr ago I got MRSA on my right check next to my nose I had not idea I thought I had been stung by a mosquito but it turned out to be MRSA and after hours in the next day I was in to see the plastic surgeon it was so crazy and then because I was on so many antobiotics my immunity to things was not so good so I got MRSA 2 more times and had the worst strep infection ever and almost had to be in the hospital so MRSA is not joke, it is scary and the Doc told me if I had waited I would have lost my sight or died imagine that over something I thought was just a little bite... 

-reply by Cynthia