xisto Community
karlosvalencia

Recommended Server-side Programming Language

Hello,I'm starting to play with web design and stuff and would like a recommendation from this knowlegeable forum on what is a good server side programming language. I've got some experience in Java running PC-based applications but that's pretty much it, never done applets or anything else. Also have been playing with perl and php. My use will be primarily creating records that will be accesible by only using a password, what would be the best way to accomodate that?Thanks in advance,

I would recommend that you stay with PHP as a Server Side Scripting Language.Very popular, very powerful, php5 is fast becoming the Standard of the Web.Oh, yea, with Mysql as a Database, of course.

ASP.NET, PHP & CGI(PERL) are the most widely used server-side scripting languages. Each has it's own merits. PHP closly resembles C++ in syntax & is easy to learn. MYSQL & PHP are both free & equally powerful compared to other databases or server side languages respectively. Moreover U can more easily get Free & Paid Quality Hosting for Linux.I too will recommend sticking to PHP & MYSQL.

Just to make sure you don't change your mind I'm going to recommend php as well. Not only is it almost used everywhere on the net it's also very easy to learn. I'm currently trying to begin to learn. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies suggesting PHP. I've actually installed it at home to start playing with it and yes it seems pretty powerful. One of the first things I'd like to do is to have password protected pages, is it easy to do such a thing with PHP? Any sample code you could contribute? I'll keep on the look. :)

I don't think Macromedia Dreamweaver allows you to actually edit PHP using the GUI... well, at least not in my experience. I recommend you use PHP, MySQL and Perl to make a nice interactive site.

PHP and SQL is a must, though consider using some CGI scripts, i.e. Perl, Python to make the experience better for the user...For your purpose of creating records accessible only after the correct password has been entered, I would suggest you to store the information in a SQL database and have a PHP file retrieve the data after the correct password has been entered...

Definitly php and vb.net scripting.Java scripting would be the mostpowerfull of them though not as popular.I don't really see much perlbut apparantly it's still used a lot. For large size database use mysql with php,perl and java and sqlwith vb .net.You can use access for smaller scale database usewith vb .net.

i enjoy working with Php, Mysq. I've done joomla and now moving to dolphin. its really fun,just like the others.The reason why i major in these is that they are open source products plus they were designed with each other in mind.

my favorite languageRecommended Server-side Programming Language

my favorite language for developing dynamic web pages is smx, for simplicity and power.

the wikipedia article on it has a couple nice examples

-reply by erik

For server side programming PHP is the best scripting language. PHP5 is the recent version of PHP language which is freely available on http://php.net/downloads.php. And if you don't like PHP then you go for ASP. Using ASP scripting language you can connect with Oracle database, MySQL database.

I also would recommend using PHP, as it's widely used and is popular. Moreover it's free and easy to learn, but you need to have a lot of experience for creating good, secure and fast web applications..Another alternative would be to learn and use ASP.NET, it's really good, but it's not free and servers for it isn't so easy to get, but you can create really professional websites in a rapid way, even though you can accomplish the same with a PHP framework.You can always use Python or Ruby on Rails to create websites too.If you know Java, you can use JSP, even though I think that PHP is one the the real web languages which is only meant for websites creation and it has really good functions for specific web problems, where on JSP you need to write those yourself.

Anyone who wants to start with ruby on rails should first get copy of ruby running on their mahcine. After that they can use instant rails which is similar to XAMPP. You'll not find easy to work with ruby on rails but it's faster and not easier. Ruby on rails takes some time for learning curve and for running those scripts on cpanel you need shell access. I don't suggest newbies to use ruby on rails at all. It's just boring and takes a lot of time to manipulate than php/asp.