xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musicmaza

Vista:backup Utility And Control Panel How to use backup utility and control panel more efficiently in Vista

I have windows Vista and I just want to share some of my knowledge with the Xisto members and other Vista users.

Here I would be giving you some tips on setting up a backup for your computer and some tips and tricks on how to use the control panel in windows vista more efficiently.

SETTING UP A BACKUP

Its really simple.Just follow the given instructions:

1)Under the start menu(in the "Start Search" box),type "ba r" and you should see Backup and Restore appear under programs.

2)Click on the entry to launch the program.

3)Now inside the Backuo and Restore Centre,click on the "Back up files Button.

4)You will now be prompted be prompted to specify the location to which the backup will be stored.This can be either a blank CD/DVD media,a network drive,or removable hard drive.

5)Make your choice and Click next.

NOTE:--> you may not select which types of data you wish to backup,but I would recommend leaving everything at their default settings

6)After making your choice press next to set up a daily shedule for backup.

7)Finally,press "Save settings and start backup" to launch your first full backup.

NOTE:--> Your sheduled jobs are run in the background by the backup utility.If you have set up automated backups to an optical drive media,the service will prompt you to insert the media at the sheduled time.

A GREAT TIP FOR WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE AND VISTA BUISSNESS USERS

There a great facility provided to Vista ultimate and Vista Buisness Users.So If you find it too tedious to create a backup in the fashion as mentioned above,Try to use the "SHADOW COPY FEATURE".

-->This feature automatically creates point-in-time copies of files as you work,so you can quickly and easily retrieve versions of a document you may have accidently deleted.

-->The Shadow copy is automatically turned on in Vista,and it creates copies-on a sheduled basis-of files that have changed,seems like its really a great feature.

-->There's no need to worry about the amount of disk space it would use on your system.With Shadow Copy only incremental changes are saved and that minimum amount of disk space is used

TIP:Shadow Copies can be restored by right clicking on a file/folder and then choosing"restore previous versions"

HOW TO use THE CONTROL PANEL IN VISTA MORE EFFICIENTLY

Actually when you see the contol panel in windows Vista,it appears similar to that in windows XP.But due to integration of the searching facility in the upper right hand corner,it has become easier to navigate through the control panel.

-->Now you can search for any element of the contol panel from the "Search box" in the "Start Menu".

>>>This a great feature as it now means that there is no longer any need to dig through icons to find something you need to tweak or change.And this can be used in every edition of Windows Vista.

HoW TO PROCEED

1)Open the control panel and place the cursor in the search box on the upper right hand corner.

2)That's it now type "backup" or "restore" and up comes the links that will take you directly to the right utility.

NOTE:There are no standard words you require to know,you can search with any keyword but be sure that you know what you are searching for.

But if you aren't sure what you want to search for in the control panel,then I am giving the keywords which I Know and which I use most often.

There are two columns,one is of the keyword and other is the utility which the sppecified search keyword would launch

NOTE:These all keywords have to typed in the "Search Box" in "Start Menu".

CONTROL PANEL COMPONENTS

The right one is the application which would launch by typing the left commands after the hypens.

Add hardware --- control hdwwiz.cpl

Add or Remove Programs --- control appwiz.cpl

Administrative Tools --- control admintools or Administrative tools

Appearance Settings --- control color

Audio devices and Sound themes --- control mmsys.cpl

Date and Time --- control time

Dispaly Settings --- control desk.cpl or control dekstop

Firewall --- control firewall.cpl

Folder options --- control folders

Fonts --- control fonts

Game Controllers --- control joy.cpl

Internet options --- control inetcpl.cpl

Keyboard --- control ketboard

Mouse --- control mouse

Network connections --- control netconnections

Phone and Modem Options --- control telephony or control telephon.cpl

Power options --- control powercfg.cpl

Text speech --- control speech

Windows Security centre --- control wscui.cpl

User Accounts --- control userpasswords

This table covers most of the common keywords.But if someone Finds a new one,then please post it here. :)

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)