xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jamers

Clothing Stains body oils are really hard to get out of fabric

Hey,How the heck do I get regular sweaty body oil out of fabric? I'v tried everything and nothing seems to work.Doesn't seem to matter if I'm cleaning my nylon Decent or my 30,000 thread count pillow cases I got for my 50th wedding anniversary I just can't get the stains out. Although once I poured Lestoil on a pillow case and let it sit for a few hours before washing it and when it came out of the dryer I could see the marks of where the lestoil was poured onto the pillow case. I can't be buying cases of Lestoil that would just be too costly and the smell is quite strong not really something you want to mash your face into at night. Can't use bleach for obvious reasons. Once I wanted to get ring around the collar out of a goot cotton Tommy Hilfiger shirt that was pure white so I soaked the collar in a strong bleach solution and the damn color came out of the crap that they put inside the collar to make it stiff. Really upsetting because I never got to wear it much and now I have to dye it on offwhite color if I ever want to wear it again.I'm seeing all kinds of junk on the shelves that looks nice with foaming bubbles and such but I want to hear from someone who knows what I am talking about and who has the answer. It's really bugging me because I have nice sheets and pillow cases that just don't have that new look anymore because they are getting a bit faded with age but they are showing quite dark with the slightest bit of body oil. Like after one or 2 nights I'm changing the sheets. Feels like a bloody hotel and I'm just one fellow in a queen sized waterbed. I could sleep one night on one side the other night on the other side and have clean sheets 2 nights in a row. I really would like to just get the pillow cases really clean. Maybe I could wash my head before bed each night but then I'd be Like Jack Nicholson in the move "as good as it gets". Good movie by the way but he doesn't address the problem of getting the damn body oils out of fabric. Try putting on a rust colored sand washed silk shirt without fisrt taking a shower and you'll see how easily the fabric darkens with body oils. Somehow silk seems to have less of a permanent stain problem than nylon ski jackets and linen bed sheets and pillow cases. Maybe this is why grandmothers sheets were always white. Easier to keep clean, just bleach the crap out of everything. Gotta love the smell of clean laundry after it hangs in the wind for a while on crisp cold days when the air is so full of oxygen you almost don't need to wash your clothes, simply hang and let the wind and oxygen work majic on your threads man.ciao

i really don't know much about how to do laundry properly :( but i have an idea: REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT WATER. short of "boiling" your laundry, i would suppose it could help. i'm just imagining that hot water will react with the body oil present in the sheets, and should somehow rid them altogether of the smell apparent in them even after regular washing. now, as i'm saying again, i do not do my laundry and know zilch about the stuff; i'm just bouncing my few brain cells around, so be very, very careful as i don't really know how it could affect your laundry. for all i know it could ruin them, so it would be an experiment you can try (perhaps with older sheets first which you can simply ignore if in the off-chance it results to ruining them). :)

after that stage with the hot water (and your laundry is not ruined), then you can proceed with the regular washing with detergent and some cloth conditioner and softeners. hopefully you will have a more satisfactory results in your laundry chores thenafter, not to mention a good night's sleep. :( good luck!

I could sleep one night on one side the other night on the other side and have clean sheets 2 nights in a row.

Now there's an idea! :) I like that one, at least that will cut down your laundry time in half.

I really would like to just get the pillow cases really clean. Maybe I could wash my head before bed each night but then I'd be Like Jack Nicholson in the move "as good as it gets".

Yes, great movie. Of course the star of the show was the little Brussels Griffon that got the trip down the laundry chute.

But to your problem.....
Good hot water should help. Showering before bed will too. You might also try pretreating the stains with Dawn dishwashing liquid....Dawn...it takes grease out of your way remember the commercials? I use Dawn diluted to clean the inside ear flaps of the dogs, and those can get pretty greasy, and it works well on that.