xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sonesay

Count Number Of Div's By A Class Name

I have a situation where I need to be able to count the number of div elements in a page and then use that number for a loop.I've already tried this but it returns all child div elements.

ocument.getElementById("char_list").getElementsByTagName("div").length;

I need only the child nodes directly below the parent div 'char_list'.THe structure is like this

<div id='char_list'><div class='char_node'></div><div class='char_node'></div><div class='char_node'></div></div>

The problem here is I also have nested div's inside the 'char_node' divs so the first code returns them all. I'm trying to just gather the char_node class divs and use it in my loop/function.

function countElementsByClass(className, elementTag){var count = new Array();var elements = document.getElementsByTagName(elementTag);for (var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){if (elements[i].className == className){count[i] = "";}}return count.length;}
I put this together, i believe it'll get you what you want. Try it out and see if it is sufficient.

}
}
return count.length;
}

count = setTimeout("countElementsByClass('char_node', 'div');", 5000);
setTimeout('alert(count);',10000); linenums:0'>function countElementsByClass(className, elementTag){var count = new Array();var elements = document.getElementsByTagName(elementTag);for (var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){if (elements.className == className){count = "";alert('found one!');}}return count.length;}count = setTimeout("countElementsByClass('char_node', 'div');", 5000); setTimeout('alert(count);',10000);

Thanks for that code Truefusion, I'm not sure what exactly is happening but I always seem to get a return of 5 on 'count', I change the two paramters being passed to that function but it still returns 5 which is weird because I put in an alert in that loop and it does alert the correct number of tagElement + className combination.

I'm sure this code will come in handy but I think I need to rethink a new approach to my problem, I've got a tab contents style section I am trying to build for each character profile. The problem is the tab contents example I got off dynamic drive http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/tabcontent.htm is only for a single collection of tabs. I need to modify it to work for multiple number of character profiles. I guess this is kinda going off topic but thats the reason I wanted to get the divs with the certain class names. I think I should post another topic on it to futher explain my problem and hopefully get some more assistance on how to go about doing it.

Try this one:

var count = 0;var o = document.getElementById("char_list").getElementsByTagName("div");for(var i=0;i<o.length;i+){	if(o[i].className == "char_node")		count ++;}alert(count);//You get your Div number here;)