xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MusicOnly

Getting Sponsors? ...how to sucesfully ask someone to sponsor your website..

Hi guys!Before i start writing, i want to apologize to moderators if this is a wrong board! :) Today, I want to discuss a one important thing that is a huge step for everyone who has a website..Experienced users who are running portals with a lots of members will know what i am talking about.. In webmaster`s life there is a point where he needs to decide what to do with his site! Is he going to continue with development of a website and drive more users to his site, or he will stop with development and maybe lose the members that he already has..There are a lots of things important when choosing your path, but few important ones are:1. support of the community ( users contribution, if you don`t have anyone to help you you are in deep $#!7)2. financial supportRunning a portal can be very expensive and very stressful.. How many times have you found yourself sitting in a front of a computer and trying to solve some database problem, or any other website related problem? Oh, did i mention, that you do that in 3AM? I know i did...Financial support is something that i want to point out today and ask you for your help... Hopefully you`ll know how to help me!Well, if you are working for a company and they pay you for running and administrating their website, than you have no problems!But if you are enthusiast, and you started a website about music because you wanted to help other people to discover the greatness of music, your job(if you are a student) can`t cover everything that you want to do with your site.. I currently have a lots of ideas how to improve the site but a lack of money is stopping me.. So we decided to find a few sponsors to help as at least with our hosting and few contest awards which we run annually in order to motivate people to help us!Currently we have 2 music shops sponsoring us but personally i think that we should have at least two more.. One music shop and maybe one hosting sponsor..I m in charge for technical things(implementing new features on site, modifying templates, hosting problems) so it`s my responsibility to find a hosting provider (in my country) which will best suit our needs..Since i have never asked anyone to sponsor us, and i don`t want to send them email:"Will you please be our sponsor? Please please please... :( "I m asking you T-members to help me how to successfully write email to our possible hosting sponsor!What should I include in my mail? Number of members, ALEXA rating, current hosting package etc..?Sorry for this long post.. I didn`t want to focus on just one thing(getting sponsor) but to show some of the problems that webmasters are facing every day! :( Hopefully someone will have enough time to reply on this!Cheers

a straight-forward exposition of your site and membership strengths should be included in your sponsorship request letter. you're on the right direction so far with the ratings stuff of your site, but do an extensive list first of these strengths so you can better incorporate them in your letter. think of it as a bait for your sponsor, and your sponsor as the fish you intend to catch. :( be truthful of course, and don't oversell your site with something which your site does not possess.

it would be important to include also the benefits your prospective sponsors can achieve by sponsoring your site. sponsors weigh these benefits carefully before they even think of sponsoring you. maintain the mentality of a quid pro quo; something for something; you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours; give and take. they will just brush your request aside if they realize that they are not getting something in return for the sponsorship, since some sponsors cannot be all that altruistic or charitable.

btw, there's a thing as a "lockdown" which you can dangle to your sponsors. :( if sponsorship is "substantial" (you need to determine this value yourself), then you can pronounce a lockdown so that no other sponsorship from a competing product or service will be entertained to sponsor your site as well. :( this usually moves them into sponsoring you so that you don't approach their competition, which could be detrimental to their business. :( this is usually done if you expect a really, really substantial offer for sponsorship. of course, other sponsorships can still be allowed after a lockdown, just that it is NOT with a competing product/service of the one who already agreed to sponsor you.

it would also be useful to arrange your sponsorships into hierarchies: major sponsors, minor sponsors, etc. this way you can further hook your prospective sponsors with such rankings. :( you just need to determine and enumerate which benefits goes with each ranking. and if you promise them anything, it is without saying that you should deliver on your promised benefits. :)

in any case, make a compelling case of your site. hopefully, they'll be able to see why they shouldn't miss sponsoring your site, your community, and its activities. keep your fingers crossed, and good luck! :(

Thanks serverph for a useful tips..I also thought of this letter as a bait for possible sponsors.. I think i can offer lockdown for hosting sponsor as far as they suit our needs and they can help us with our humble requests.. But i don`t know with what should i scratch their back?What should i offer them along with a banner on our site, and i m not just talking about the homepage banner? As for the music sponsors, well.. I think that i can(`t) bypass the lockdown because one music shop has fender guitars and other has gibson guitars.. It depends on how do they look on it.. I see them as two different shops with different gear, but i think that they wouldn`t share the same view.. they see themselves as a competitors...really tough situation..

I think what server means by "scratching" their backs is this.Something like: "If you do decide to sponsor us, you can expect increased purchases due to our site being music based. Numerous music enthusiasts come to our site and may be persuaded by your references on our site, which will lead to web page views, in the end a result of increased purchases!"correct me if I am wrong server, but I think this was one point you were trying to make.And of course lockdown, which is a big scratch if you give them a broad basis like ALL musical related companies, but not so much if it is just a certain guitar company.Hope I have been able to clear stuff up.

I think i can offer lockdown for hosting sponsor as far as they suit our needs and they can help us with our humble requests.. But i don`t know with what should i scratch their back?

What should i offer them along with a banner on our site, and i m not just talking about the homepage banner?

i was talking about the hosting sponsor.. i dont think they`ll feel increased sales coming from my site..

correct me if I am wrong server, but I think this was one point you were trying to make.

something to that effect, damen, you are correct. :)

i was talking about the hosting sponsor.. i dont think they`ll feel increased sales coming from my site..

if not increased sales, perhaps you can explain an additional exposure for their hosting service. you can promise also an extended exposure, like a 6-months to one-year frontpage link or banner. these can be converted to sales especially if they can offer special discounts to your members/visitors and their prices and services are competitive.

the banner will stay on our page for as long as they are our sponsors..should i go with pretty popular hosting company or should i give a chance to a less popular?

should i go with pretty popular hosting company or should i give a chance to a less popular?

i'd say as long as it sponsors your site, then it won't matter much if it's a popular or a less popular one. :) the downside for a popular one is it could be harder to persuade them to sponsor your site to gain advertising mileage. a less popular one could just be the opposite, easier. but in terms of branding, it would be nicer to associate your site with the most popular one. you just have to push yourself further in getting the sponsorship you want.

I don't know whether you have ever considered starting advertising with google adsens as you can earn quite alot with google adsens and it can be really helpful. You don't have so many things to menage and you don't have to think about finding advertisers. However in the meantime you can provide and proove yourself usuful to everyone by showing your visitor stats and so on. In the end you will have it done as long as your site is going on, if it stops you will as fast lose your sponsors. Also in the end I would like to not e that by finding your own sponsors you might learn mush more then with googles however google is much easier and time consuming and leaves you much more time running your site which will prove to finance you much more in the long run.

I know it is very tough to get advertisers.Cause evryoe is relying on Crappy Alexa ranking system to set rank for your site or portal.Even worst is Technorati.BTW You cant run site to help others as well as have some prfit to pay your host and server fees.Everybody is playing the Keyword game. Where the hell is content?I want to see some sites that actually respect Content or design or art,instead of keyword game.Isn't it possible to have site that solely run for content and have pretty good ads to support,with no alexa or technorati stuff to concern?

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

@hitmanbloodWe are running Adsense on our site since the April.. Last month we got a little bit over what is required for our first paycheck.. It`s pretty slow and really don`t know how to force adsense to show more relevant ads.. It`s pretty hard because my site is in croatian and we get crappy ads which aren`t related to music. I m looking for a better way to force the adsense to read our content and not to focus on our language. Any tips? :) @mahesh2kOur portal has a traffic rank of: 37,052 in Alexa, and it`s dropping month by month.. I think this is pretty good for a 8 months old portal. It could be better, but i`m not a greedy person. :(

Ok, here`s an update!Since this was in January, we decided to put this on hold until our old hosting expires. So couple a weeks ago, I started asking other webmasters about their hosting providers, and after a a long talk, I decided to take a shot with hostingcentar.comI asked them for a sponsorship, and after few days, I got response from them that they`ll sponsor 48,6% of hosting pack that we choose!Everything is now done, I had problems with Russian hackers who tried to harm the site, but luckily our new provider was smart enough to shut down the site for a half an hour, so they stopped raising our server load..I want to thank you all for giving me tips on how to do this, and I suggest anyone who is in similar situation like I was: Don`t be afraid! You can`t loose anything by asking them, you can loose something if you don`t ask them!Cheers!

Ok, here`s an update!
Since this was in January, we decided to put this on hold until our old hosting expires.
So couple a weeks ago, I started asking other webmasters about their hosting providers, and after a a long talk, I decided to take a shot with hostingcentar.com

I asked them for a sponsorship, and after few days, I got response from them that they`ll sponsor 48,6% of hosting pack that we choose!

Everything is now done, I had problems with Russian hackers who tried to harm the site, but luckily our new provider was smart enough to shut down the site for a half an hour, so they stopped raising our server load..
I want to thank you all for giving me tips on how to do this, and I suggest anyone who is in similar situation like I was: Don`t be afraid! You can`t loose anything by asking them, you can loose something if you don`t ask them!

Cheers!

very nice advise and congrates to u for ur success

me again!well, i haven't been on T17 for a quite long time.. lots of people i don't know... :) great to see trap growing..so a little update from me..we now have 4 active sponsors and 3 on hold (waiting for their payment and banner).. if i add adsense earnings and xclaim earnings(similar to kontera, only it's croatian company, huuuge PPC, every click is around $.20) i think we're doing pretty fine..we're close to 7000 members and what's great is that i hear people talking about our site.. in music shops, bars.. everything is going so much easier - people ask us to interview them, our marketing mail is filled with partnership offers, members aren't afraid of adding content..globally, our site isn't big, but 7000 members for a specific niche, in one year.. i'm more than satisfied..i expect a big boom in way of member registration in 3 months, cause we're planning something that will kill our competitors in a slick and loud way.. :) i'll release this "top secret" information when we start adding..cheers!