xisto Community
laexter

Prospect Of Studying In The Us

Hi,I am currently looking forward to studying in the US as an international undergraduate (first-year) student. My questions are too many, so I will list them here, and I hope some of you can help especially for people in the US:1. If I go to university in the first year, how fat is the chance for getting a scholarship for the 2nd year (i.e. how many percent of the students got scholarships)? Because I heard that there are lots of them, some covers full tuition fees and some don't. I wish I got more info on this...2. Is it true that comm colleges do not have the quality of a university, i.e. students with low scores always go to comm colleges, so comm colleges "suck"? Because I consider comm colleges for economical reasons.3. I heard that you have no chance of getting scholarships if you are still in comm college (for international students). Is that true?4. Which univ is known for its engineering programs, especially chemical engineering? (probably a bit too far-fetched, but I hope someone know!)5. Is it possible to get into some universities without SAT (but with good TOEFL - my IBT score is > 100)? Is it only the case of less known universities?6. Do you think my choice for education in the USA is good?That's all and I hope you can help!

Please note that in the US, the words college and university are used interchangeably, implying an institution that offers bachelor's degrees in 4 years. I'm not sure where you're from, but I know talking to my friends in the UK about school, it was sometimes confusing because some of them didn't know ollege doesn't have the same meaning in the US as it does in the UK, just like pants.1. I used to work in a financial aid office, and this is how in-house scholarships worked at the school. Your first year, you earn a grade point average, on a 4.0 scale. For the second year they would award the academic scholarships to the students with the best GPAs. They would start with all the students who earned a 4.0 and keep going downward until they ran out of funds, usually around 3.5 - 3.75. Each year, they would repeat the process, so if you had a really bad semester, it could ruin your chances for an academic scholarship. The school also had a requirement that to be eligible for a scholarship, a student has to complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA is also how you get Stafford loans, which are really great for students. FAFSA's website is fafsa.ed.gov .You should look for outside scholarships a year before college. Check out fastweb.com since it is one of the best scholarship search sites out there. Be prepared to write a bunch of essays. It is possible to have everything covered with scholarships, but you have to work hard. Do not count on having the school cover a large portion in scholarships, even if you're special, because everyone else is special, too. Tuition is cheaper if you live in the state of the college; out of state tuition is about twice as much. Also, never pay for a scholarship search. It's a scam that gets students all the time. They promise to give you leads on scholarships, but they're giving you the same information you can get for free.2. It really depends more on the instructor than the college. Some will make it easy, some will make it hard because it is supposedly better to struggle, and some will give you tons of pointless busy work as if you're in high school.3. I don't think that is true. As long as the institution is accredited, it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, there's scholarships for being left-handed, speaking Klingon, being under five feet tall and anything else you can possibly imagine.4. I know Penn State has a really good plastics engineering program, one of the best in the country, so I'd assume their other engineering programs would be good as well. I have a friend at the University Park branch that is in that program right now and I don't think he has any complaints.5. Each school's criteria for admission is different. An admissions officer will let you know what you need to apply. I think for international students TOEFL or TESOL scores are important. I don't know if all universities require the students to have SAT scores, but they do like to have some sort of standardized test score.6. Sure, America is pretty good. Nobody's going to say "Your diploma is from America, e http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you're worried about having enough money for tuition, what many students do is they enroll in community college for a few semesters and then transfer their credits to a big prestigious university. I think you have to earn your last 60 credits at the prestigious university to be able to get a diploma. A bachelor's degree program is usually around 130 credits. You still get to save money and you get a diploma from a reputable place.