xisto Community
djstarskream

Webdesign Frequently Askd Questions is it posible to design a sercheingin in your website.

what i wanna no is is it posible to incorporate a custom search engin into your own website. for a while now i have bin wondering is it posible to do this as i would like to try something like this out. but i have heard of there being a way to do this in pearl but i no nothing of pearl does annyone have anny tips or info on this? (i use frontpage and dreamweaver)

Hi, i'm learning to design pages with dreamweaver, and I'm having a little difficult, how can i add a image that tranforms in another, and make a link with this image, because, i'm trying to do this with my page, but when i post it, the image doesn't apears...

Hi, i'm learning to design pages with dreamweaver, and I'm having a little difficult, how can i add a image that tranforms in another, and make a link with this image, because, i'm trying to do this with my page, but when i post it, the image doesn't apears...

Well, you need to upload the SAME images folder to your host server in order to display the images correctly.

...or make sure the case used in the code is identikcal to thet on the filenames. With Unix based servers like the one we have here it's very important. Hebrew_K.gif is not identical to hebrew_k.gif

Although this topic is old, I have a few links on various ways to set up a in house search engine in your website.

PHP based search engines

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

JavaScript Based Search Engines

Now if you don't want to code your own search engine script, then you can try out one of these many already built scripts and see how you like them

The best thing to do in this case for any future reference is to try using google custom site search engine this would be the best option however If you have some sensitive data on your web site and you would like to use it. Then you should write your own. Mysql is not that hard to learn and if you try hard enough you will understand it fairly well in less then a week also PHP is not that hard if you had some experience with such thing in previous life :D joking I want to say if you have some experience with such things that is with similar languages though PHP is not type strict language which soemtimes makes life easier and sometimes in fact harder.

yah you can do that but it can only search content on your site, cant search others like google or somethin. my site has a search engine and its TSEP it works pretty well. you can try this but theres a couple more out there.also google can do this too but it has to index your site witch did not work very well with my site but you can try it yourself.

hey man, you are so smart lol, i`m being sarcastic, no really, askd -.- it suppose to be asked haha...anyways, it does actually matter, learn your english so you can communicate wel!!good luck man

This script is just a google search, it takes you away from the your website and directs you to a google search about your website. djstarskream wants to "incorporate a custom search engin" into his "own website".

Now, Saint_Michael's seems to be okay. The php one (which I havn't tested), from reading it looks alright. It searches your sql database and displays them. This can be easly customized. The Javascript scripts, are exactly like jlhaslip suggested script. Uses other search engines and displays the findings on their site. djstarskream go with this website: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ As it is the most easiest to customize and can be incorpated into your website.

well frotpage and dreamweaver, as far as i know don't have any support for that kind of thing... the easiest way to do that i supose, is to make a perl script, which reads a text file, you could then manually, or create a perl script to automatically add a URL and keywords to the text file, then when the user inputs text into the page, the perl file looks in the text file for keyword in the search, and returns any URLs that have matching keywords.