xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bombino

Trying To Run Multiple Hard Drives

I am trying to run multiple hard drives in my pc, I have a xp o/s and I want to run two internal hard drives, the one is the existing main drive ( C ) it is working fine. The other is a new internal drive that I have added. The installation of the additional drive went fine, I set the main drive jumper of C to main and the new drive to slave. I am able to view and test the existing main drive ( C ) and the new drive under device manager, both are working. But when I click on (MY Computer) I am only able to see the one existing drive ( C ). I want to be able to use the additional drive for storage only but I am not able to do so, is there a way to configure the system some that I can use the new internal drive for storage? Thanks for your time, Happy New year Joe

I am trying to run multiple hard drives in my pc, I have a xp o/s and I want to run two internal hard drives, the one is the existing main drive ( C ) it is working fine. The other is a new internal drive that I have added. The installation of the additional drive went fine, I set the main drive jumper of C to main and the new drive to slave. I am able to view and test the existing main drive ( C ) and the new drive under device manager, both are working. But when I click on (MY Computer) I am only able to see the one existing drive ( C ). I want to be able to use the additional drive for storage only but I am not able to do so, is there a way to configure the system some that I can use the new internal drive for storage? Thanks for your time, Happy New year
Joe

Hello and happy new year,

OK i take it when you reboot the pc up it shows 2 hard drives on the post screen. If so good. If not the jumpers are set wrong. But if you are new to all of this i would recommend the jumpers getting setto CS (cable select anyway.)

Any way lets imagine that the motherboard has detected both drives when it has been reboot and the it shows and boots up into windows, what you need to do is quite easy follow these steps..

right click start then goto explore

then the explore program will load..

on the left you see c: d: etc...
right click my computer
then click manage

then computer management should load

next goto
Disk management

now on the right side of the box it will load all drive information up
it will say disk 1 c: or disk 1 d: or disk 0 c: etc...

You want to click the drive that says unallocated right click the little box then you will have the option to format the drive and partion it..
once clicked wait for that to complete then the drive should be ready to ise and give itself a drive letter

any problems add yourself to my msn subplay@ukonline.co.uk
i will guide you threw it

mark

Subplay is correct in away as you need to configure that second hard drive in the computer management folder. So if you go to the Computer Management folder; Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. You should be able to see your second hard drive, and so just partition it making sure to change the letter, usually E:, and it should appear.

It should look something like this if you have two or more Hard Drives connection, starting at Disk 1

SP32-20031231-083607.gif

I recommend checking this website out since it gives a good but brief tutorial/info on partitioning and setting up a multiple hard drive partition. Make sure you read everything and that you you can become a master partitioner and what not.