xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  

What Is Php?

PHP is a popular programming and scripting language created to add dynamic functionality to websites and to provide a way for websites which use a web-based database to store and retrieve information remotely.

PHP syntaxes always start with:

<?php

And end with:

?>

PHP files have a file extension of .php, .php3, .php4, .php5 - or, if you would like to create a PHP file in which the information is not processed, and the source code displayed, simply change the file extension to .phps

If you would like to display certain information, use the echo function.

<?phpecho "INFORMATION";?>

will display:

INFORMATION

For more info and examples, go to http://www.w3schools.com/php/

PHP is a server side scripting language, it's like javascript but the only diffrence between them is that javascript is a client side language. Server side means the code is executed on the server the the output is sent to the browser, so no one sees your source code. Client side means that the code is executed by the browser, so the code can be seen by everyoone.If you want to learn php just go to w3schools.org and read the lessons they have over there, if you already know another programming language like me, it will be very easy and you will be writing php code in no time.You can't test your php code just by opening it in the browser, you have to either uploaded it to a hosting account or install a webserver on your pc ( IIS or Apache) if you understood what server side means you'll know why.

Just as a bit of trivia, PHP is an endless acronym, as it stands for 'PHP Hypertext Preprocessor'.

Yes but I believe the PHP in PHP does not stand for PHP Hypertext Preprocessor, if I recall it stands for 'Personal Home Page', so the full length acronym would be "Personal Home Page Hypertext Preprocessor".

PHP = PHP Hypertext Preprocessor..It is a language which is free to use... i think.. but powerful.. Using PHP, you can create websites, backends for your websites or we can call it CMS.. The popularity of PHP is increasing because of its expanding usage..

as everyone almost exlained more or less things about php. I will say this. It is languuage or script that is executed on the server instead of the browser this way yuou can implement many nice features like dynamic websites and so on. It is really easy for use howeveer some features I personally dislike very very much. Such as that php is not type strict language and this leads to many mistakes however on the other hand I like arrays and way they were implemented in the php it is really helpful. Also I'd like to suggest book php and mysql from the o'reilly this is really good puclisher and you should lear mysql because it will help you much as it is database language and you can male even better sites with it and many many more things. Good luck.P.S. just for the end php doesn;t have to be used for site programming you can use it as any other language if you run it in the console.

PHP is basically a server-side scripting language which allows you to add dynamic content to your website. It makes the server complete all the calculations of your code allowing you to add features to your site like the time, math functions, database connectivity and much more. Combined with html and css and you have yourself the best weapon on the web. A great coder can effectively utilize all three if not 5 or more languages on a page while keeping it xhtml/css strict. Good luck in your web development! :P

PHP is basically a server-side scripting language which allows you to add dynamic content to your website. It makes the server complete all the calculations of your code allowing you to add features to your site like the time, math functions, database connectivity and much more. Combined with html and css and you have yourself the best weapon on the web. A great coder can effectively utilize all three if not 5 or more languages on a page while keeping it xhtml/css strict. Good luck in your web development! :P

Some experience though I must note still limited had learned me that too many languages is producing only problems. And furthermore it is not needed to have strict coding because it is important to keep zour site to the brwoser compatibility and not in fact strict though many people consider strict code as compatible but many times if you try to check it out even if your code is strict you might have problems with code however the point also is that you want to allow your site to be viewable by as may users possible however the thing is that you must consider compatibility this is the thing I hold usually when coding

And best combination to combine is to use javascript then css html php and mysql.

javascript for modification of the page in real time without almost without communication with server. Under javascript I consider ajax also that is the reeason for the almost there :P

css for the basic look and feel of the page site or however you like to conside rit. And also it is better to use this then to modify with ccss then with the html tags since it is easier to modify and change page afterwards or to make more templates and so on.

html. as basic for the organization of all elements in the page and everything else for providing outputs from the php ad so on.,,.

php as server side scripting opposite to teh javascript sinve with this you can manipulate all bunch of the things like logins sessions registrations very different data and so on. Almost everything you think.

mysql ought to be used for communication between php and database server and to pull out and send data inot databases. The rgeat engine though there are some misuses like sql injections.

Some experience though I must note still limited had learned me that too many languages is producing only problems. And furthermore it is not needed to have strict coding because it is important to keep zour site to the brwoser compatibility and not in fact strict though many people consider strict code as compatible but many times if you try to check it out even if your code is strict you might have problems with code however the point also is that you want to allow your site to be viewable by as may users possible however the thing is that you must consider compatibility this is the thing I hold usually when coding
And best combination to combine is to use javascript then css html php and mysql.

javascript for modification of the page in real time without almost without communication with server. Under javascript I consider ajax also that is the reeason for the almost there :P

css for the basic look and feel of the page site or however you like to conside rit. And also it is better to use this then to modify with ccss then with the html tags since it is easier to modify and change page afterwards or to make more templates and so on.

html. as basic for the organization of all elements in the page and everything else for providing outputs from the php ad so on.,,.

php as server side scripting opposite to teh javascript sinve with this you can manipulate all bunch of the things like logins sessions registrations very different data and so on. Almost everything you think.

mysql ought to be used for communication between php and database server and to pull out and send data inot databases. The rgeat engine though there are some misuses like sql injections.

Maybe it's just a personal thing, i love to keep my pages coded in proper formats :P

Although i understand what your saying, compatibility is THE most important thing when designing. All viewers should see your website identically or as close as possible to each other. I have 4 browsers installed on my PC to make sure of that. Each programming language brings it's own features to the table, you have noted each one pretty well :P

PHP stand for HyperText Preprocessor. PHP is a scripting language used to create dynamic web pages for various web applications. However, PHP can also be used in command line scripting and or graphics applications. PHP is compatible with virtually any type of Operating System, Hardware Architecture, or web server.

PHP is one of the most commonly used server side scripting languages today. It initially meant Personal Home Page Tools (PHP Tools), but now stands for Hypertext PreProcessor.Server Side scripting languages are languages that can be used to perform actions on your web pages based upon inputs or actions taking place on the client side. There are also many client side languages like javascript available, but server side languages are more secure and offer more functionality when it comes to building dynamic websites.A simple example is, - say you go to a email provider's website and click the sign up button. - You are taken to a page containing a form which is to be filled by you to register your email account. - On filling the form you click the submit button. - Upto this point of time plain HTML is sufficient enough to perform all the tasks. - On clicking the submit button a server side scripting language such as PHP is required to gather the data and perform some action on it such as sending the form details to some email address, or submitting the form details to a database.PHP is a free software which can be run on Apache and Windows servers. It is most famously known for its use in a bundle with PHP, MySQL and Apache. You can embed PHP code into web pages within the delimiters <?php and ?> . Object Oriented functionality is available in PHP. It was introduced in PHP3. Since then many OO features were added to make PHP a powerful language.