xisto Community
coolcat50

Software Opinions

Hello! I just bought a laptop and I am getting all my software I need for it. I can't decide whether to get Winamp or use Windows Media Player. Also, should I use OpenOffice or Microsoft Works. Also I need a good desktop recording program. So what are your opinions?

Well MS works is fairly terrible IMHO. It lacks a friendly interface and a hell of a lot of features so my advice is to go with Open Office as its got the features of word with the stability, security and ease of use (let alone the FREE price tag) of Open Source software

Well there are other players I like DivX they have a good set up in watching videos, and of course getting the right codecs will make life enjoyable. As for document processing Open office hands down, just because Microsoft Works is outdated in the sense Microsoft Office suite is better organized, and of course open office is free.

Open Office, for the features, the fact that its format is Open Source, and also, the consideration that its format is fast becoming the 'standard' format in the world of Documents. The price is good, too.MS Office is bloated. Sure, its is pretty, but the performance leaves something to be desired. And it costs too much, besides.

I can't decide whether to get Winamp or use Windows Media Player.

Personally I've never liked either of them, so you're on your own with that one (I use Amarok) :)

Also, should I use OpenOffice or Microsoft Works.

Even by Microsoft's standards, Works is a heap of junk. You can't open the files anywhere and you get very few features (although I did find its calendar quite nice). OpenOffice has many more features and is very easy to use. The download is a little big, but you can set that going and just leave it while you get on with other stuff.

Also I need a good desktop recording program. So what are your opinions?

Do you mean recording videos of what you are doing on your desktop? If so, I haven't yet found a good free piece of software that does the job consistently. Sorry.

At first, you could change the Operating System..You could put a good Linux running on it.After that, you can put a music server as Music Player Daemon and work with some good interfaces for it, like MPC, or pitchforkFor Office Suite, I think Open Office has a good status today. Linux has a lot of Calendar and Scheduling software.After this, you won't need Microsoft Money :)But if you'd like, there is grisbi

Thanks for the opinions. I am totally going with OpenOffice on this one. Also, I can't change my OS because Guild Wars and Halo won't run on Linux. Also, I would have to learn Linux which I kinda wanna wait to do. My mind is already boggled with C++. Also by the desktop recorder, I mean a screen recorder for recording games and stuff.

I can't decide whether to get Winamp or use Windows Media Player.

for audio its up to you .... how you like the GUI and mp3 organising..but for video..if you are using either of them you need to install a good codec pack..
i think k-lite media pack is good, i have used it personally...it also installs media player classic which i prefer for watching videos...
without a codec pack your players wont be able to play all the formats...
you can use VLC player which works great without codecs (it has its own)...

if you got used to Microsoft Office then you will find MS Works unprofessional. so if you are a professional user choose Microsoft Office. for beginners Microsoft Works would look easier and more dynamic. i always preferred Windows Media Player than Winamp specially if you download and install Media Player Add-ons. the reason is simply you don't need few players to do same things for youi have:jet audio to record audio (it's another player , nice one)real player and quick time because each one of them plays their own formatsand also Adobe Player for flv formatsand Nero player which is automatically installed with Nero.

here is a list of "features" of Wmp against winamp:

Memory Usage:

Taken from the task manager.

WMP - 8776k

Winamp - 7264k

Playing song:

WMP - 21328k

Winamp - 23114k

First Run:

WMP - Very quick. Very simple. It sets up and scans your library within 10 minutes or at least on my machine.

Winamp. As as WMP. Done everything in about 10 minutes.

Plugins:

WMP - Has a good number of plugins ranging from visual to effects to codecs.

Winamp - A large community of developers. 100?s of them.

Skins :

WMP - Has a selection. Not a good selection but a selection none the less.

Winamp - A huge number of skins! Many are great and can totaly change the way you use the program.

HotKeys

WMP - Can?t add custome keys but will use the media controls on your keyboard

Winamp - Uses media keys plus allows the creation of custome keys.

Sharing Media

WMP - Simple to use and share.

Winamp - Can only do it with a plugin and even then its horrible.

Playlists:

WMP - Handles them nicely. Very simple. Allows you to save them in several different formats.

Winamp - Very simple, just like WMP. It also allows your to save them out in a few different forms.

well... i use winamp... the new version is friendly and good ^_^

Hello! I just bought a laptop and I am getting all my software I need for it. I can't decide whether to get Winamp or use Windows Media Player. Also, should I use OpenOffice or Microsoft Works. Also I need a good desktop recording program. So what are your opinions?

Hey, well personally I do not prefer Winamp nor Windows Media player, I currently use RealPlayer 11 which is pretty much good. And I have DFX to enhance the sound to the maximum (I have a subwoofer as well) so my sound system (software and hardware) is really great.

Concerning OpenOffice or Microsoft Works, I suppose OpenOffice is much better because the interface is more friendly and it is free as well. And they both have almost the same features anyway...

I do not know of any good desktop recording program but I will suggest some other useful software: Kaspersky Antivirus is the best so far, so I advise you to use it if you want to protect your laptop. You will also need WinRAR, Mozilla Firefox which is MUCH better than Mircrosoft Internet Explorer (faster and much more stable), Adobe Reader, Adobe Photoshop CS3 or maybe GIMP (if you want something good and free). I guess these are the most important software you might need.