xisto Community
gisellebebegirl

Change Your Domain/subdomain (question)

mmm i started the process about 2 hours ago, and nothing.. my cpanel is transfered but

1.the credits havent been taken off
2.this keeps showing up on all the pages:

Not Found
The requested URL /1.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at gamma.xisto.com Port 80

(note i did change it to the new adress/url- not Xisto)

& when i go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ all i get is this

If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.

on average how long does it take for the process to be completed? (or is it complete.. & i need to do something?)

I can answer your question in like 2 words, well ok several more but basically you have to wait for your domain to kick in or propergate across the internet which takes about 24-72 hours. Its one of those things that make you want to toss your computer out because of how long you have to wait for it, but once your point your park your domain and point it to a web hosting server you have to give it time to settle in and that way everyone can see it.The waiting sucks but at the mean time you can be building your website, and even do some posting, shocking I know. That is hte only draw back of adding domains to hosting account but like I said you should see.EDIT:Ok now after the shoutbox conversation yeah you have to wait for it to kick in especially if you change your domain, jsut make sure you point the domain to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com or you will run in some more problems.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I can answer your question in like 2 words, well ok several more but basically you have to wait for your domain to kick in or propergate across the internet which takes about 24-72 hours. Its one of those things that make you want to toss your computer out because of how long you have to wait for it, but once your point your park your domain and point it to a web hosting server you have to give it time to settle in and that way everyone can see it.
The waiting sucks but at the mean time you can be building your website, and even do some posting, shocking I know. That is hte only draw back of adding domains to hosting account but like I said you should see.

EDIT:

Ok now after the shoutbox conversation yeah you have to wait for it to kick in especially if you change your domain, jsut make sure you point the domain to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com or you will run in some more problems.

ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com? on namecheap? O_o mmh i see 72 hours.. omgad.. im thinking of just :) making a disaperance from the online world during those days.. (because) the site itself has a followthrough on myspace with over 10,000 friends.. so yea.. i got about 25 messages already *warning me* of the site down situation

gisellebebegirl,If you can access your domain name controller (that is, ask the support team of domain name you purchased) and change "Name Servers" to:ns1.trap17.comns2.trap17.comYour setting for your domain name, currently, is pointing to elsewhere than Xisto. Once you make your correction give up to 72 hours to fully resolve. Your domain name should work perfectly then.

gisellebebegirl,

If you can access your domain name controller (that is, ask the support team of domain name you purchased) and change "Name Servers" to:

ns1.trap17.com

ns2.trap17.com

Your setting for your domain name, currently, is pointing to elsewhere than Xisto. Once you make your correction give up to 72 hours to fully resolve. Your domain name should work perfectly then.

http://tinypic.com/images/404.gif you mean there? what would i fill in for each box?? 72 hours.. ahh i hate waiting so much! if i had known it was going to take so long i wouldnt have had changed it in the first place!

In the first box you would put in ns1.trap17.com and then the one right below it ns2.trap17.com and then click ok and your set. Also it is fun waiting for things right, because by the tie you get you your so crazy and insane that once you get it, you be at peace with the world. Of course you could be lucky though that it will kick in early and you be set. So plug those locations into the box, press ok, and tell everyone on your myspace to calm down and they can download the music and wallpaper in a few days :).

In the first box you would put in ns1.trap17.com and then the one right below it ns2.trap17.com and then click ok and your set. Also it is fun waiting for things right, because by the tie you get you your so crazy and insane that once you get it, you be at peace with the world. Of course you could be lucky though that it will kick in early and you be set. So plug those locations into the box, press ok, and tell everyone on your myspace to calm down and they can download the music and wallpaper in a few days :).

it actuly will not let me! but i just redirected the site to ns1.trap17.com eh hope that is good enough.. im freaking out here tough we want to open the site on new years night! mmm do u know if the cutenews news will be transfeered too? because if tey dont we are screwed

when I checked ur WhoIs record I found that your domain's name servers are pointing to

dns1.name-services.com dns2.name-services.com
dns3.name-services.com
dns4.name-services.com
dns5.name-services.com

Login to your Domain Control panel and change these name server entries to

ns1.trap17.comns2.trap17.com

the configuration will take a maximum of 72 hours for all the DNS to get updated, sometimes this may happen within a few hours. Get back here if you still face any problems.

Well usually the first one is all you need unless you get a domain thats cranky and needs the second one as well. Well Pray for a New Year's Miracle since you have to wait for the internet to propagate the domain change. What do you mean by transfered like from site to site or when the new domain kicks in?To answer those two questions all you have to do is make a complete copy of your last hosting account including files and MySQL databases and then upload them through the cpanel. Now if its the second then I would believe so since the domain change will update everything connected to the Xisto sub-domain.

it actuly will not let me! but i just redirected the site to ns1.trap17.com eh hope that is good enough.. im freaking out here tough we want to open the site on new years night! mmm do u know if the cutenews news will be transfeered too? because if tey dont we are screwed

you are truly my lifesaver! i hope i got what yout old me right!!! is this right here correct? =) lol just click on the link to see the screenshot

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

if not ill keep checking the post :) (i included the left menu of namecheap.. idk so if its wrong you can tell me where to go!)

thanks once again! and happy new years (and according to name cheap the process takes a maximun of 24 hours! :() yay if i did right! reply as soon as posible!

Looks perfect.The good part is that the Internet never sleeps, so the propagation occurs even when you do.It might work in 24 hours, but plan on 48 hours minimum and 72 hours maximum (guidelines only).Good luck with it. and HNY to you and your site.

Haslip is is correct you put it in the right place, and what do you know I can see your website which means you should be set now. I will say this though I should slap myself for not looking at the first image a bit closer and realize that it was the wrong on, unless thats the same menu but looks different after putting in the server address. Then in that case I was correct, but now for the god news I can see your website so talk about a New Years gift right there for you :).

Haslip is is correct you put it in the right place, and what do you know I can see your website which means you should be set now. I will say this though I should slap myself for not looking at the first image a bit closer and realize that it was the wrong on, unless thats the same menu but looks different after putting in the server address. Then in that case I was correct, but now for the god news I can see your website so talk about a New Years gift right there for you :).

omg.. so i logged in today.. and my site is down again! WAT IN THE WORLD IS HAPPENING! ahh it was on yersterday as you saw.. what is going onnnnn! its like spazing out.. ahh i keep getting eather

a: the ur connected with cpanel bleh bleh bleh message
or b: just 404 _+_

ok UPDATE: i tried accesing my pages with and without the WWW. before have-heart and it wont let me access it with the WWW. is there a way to make both paths work? mmm for now ill just change every navigation on my page

nvm.. i changed the diretorys to /name like i was told to last time and everything is just fine now! :(
Edited by gisellebebegirl (see edit history)

Just give it more time, as they keep stating it can take a max of 72 hours (Three days). So before you start messing with settings give it that time. Because if you change things while it is getting set up and what not bad things can always happen, best to leave it alone. I know it must be killing you because of the activity you are losing but just bare with it!