xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tramposch

My Computer Building

Well hello guys, I am back for as long as i can remember this place :(

I just wanted to let you know that I am building my own computer, custom computer, and wanted to know your comments, and opinions.

I started with a Dell Dimension 8100 pent 4... 1.5GHz and 256MB of ram. I was sick of it. I bought a new computer.

Dell Inspiron 530s (Core 2 Duo processor, 2 gigs, vista, and all that good stuff).

I was still hungry for more power, so now i am starting my custom computer building.

It started with this:

Posted Image

i bought that so I could expand more. it is very nice, a lot of room to expand. I am not expanding in my Inspiron because:

Posted Image

that pretty much explains it.

It is too small, I can't even fit a full sized card in the slots.

So i got that new case, and got an XFX 8600GT XXX video card (PCI-e x16)

https://www.bjorn3d.com/

256MB GDDR3

It is truly awesome.

Now only one thing is stock from Dell.

My motherboard. And i plan to fix that soon, I am buying an ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Posted Image

Then i plan to get another 8600GT XXX and run SLI.

I plan to do this all before i turn 15 :)

i am about 50% done.

Thanks for reading! post your comments!

Looks awesome =)I was planning on making my own computer for a long time now.... but i have a few questions.how much did that cost all together?how hard is it to assemble?and any advice on sites to use? newegg.com?also would it be easy to learn how to assemble a computer?Thanks. ps: your comp looks sweet =)

Well for the most part your on your way, however, I think your missing a few parts. Such as the hard drive, processor, monitor, power supply, RAM, DVD/CD-ROM Drive, keyboard, and mouse. Just from the motherboard alone I could see you will be spending a lot of cash since I am assuming for someone who wants more power you going to go Quad with several hard drives, 800W power supply, 4 gigs of RAM. Thats just a guess though.

To answer Bruce's Quesions

The price varies depending how super computer your willing to go, put it like this if you want the ultimate machine plan to pay as much as an alienware computer starting price. Of course with the right knowledge and researching you could be a great computer at a dell price that could match or exceed their standards. This tutorial I wrote on how to begin your life as a computer builder lists information and articles of interests on what to look for, understand, and maintain computer hardware. So check that out to get a basic idea where to begin with.

With your next question its not hard once you understand the layout of where everything goes, how to connect the hardware together, and praying to go while assembling that you don't get a static shock and fry your motherboard :). I took me about three months to get a good understanding on computer hardware, yeah I cheated I took a class, but it helps though.

Newegg is a good site to start with, you can also try Tiger Direct as well, but once you get a taste of newegg you won't go anywhere else.

Learning how to build one is somewhat easy once you understand whats all going into building a computer, how to read the manuals when connecting everything, but like I said check out my tutorial as it covers pretty much all of your questions.

Sorry about the missing parts, buying a new powersupply is just such a small deal for me. I have a 250GB drive, i plan on buying a 500GB soon, but I might not do that. I just keep filling up my HDD too fast so we will see about that.I am going to upgrade my RAM when i get the processor so i can punch out the extra, probably have SLI ram or something.i currently have a 19" LCD monitor, I like it, it comes with a lot. Ipod dock, built in microphone, 4 usb hubs, built in card reader, speakers, and a subwoofer.I just love viewsonic.Actually there are two in the house, my brother has one, we just love this model. I am thinking of buying another monitor to run dual screen, but I'll do that later.In total, when i am done with all my computer upgrades, its going to be a grand total of about 1000$ Pretty cheap, but that is including the Dell Inspiron. But in the end, none of the computer is going to be dell. So I will have two computers :)

Well it seems amazing to me,as I myself haven't tried to build my own computer,But I know a lot about computers and SM is right the parts of computer like processor,hard-drive ,CD-ROM are missing out from you design.Well I want to congratulate you for building your own computer.So do you want to become a computer or hardware engineer in your life because you have a great passion of building computers,it semms to me. :)

The CD-ROM (DVD drive) and harddrive do not mean a lot to me, so I am just using stock.But i believe i said i was going to get a quad core processor? i just don't know what one, that is later.