xisto Community
longtimeago

Google Mail Or Gmail have you used both ?

Recently i came across some of my online friends id as name@googlemail.com whereas as far as i know google provides only gmail that is name@gmail.com so do any of you have google mail i mean yourname@googlemail.com ?If so kindly let others know how to have one @googlemail.comOn the other hand for people who are working in google get their email id as name@google.com .

The @googlemail.com email addresses were provided after Google was informed that they had no right to the GMail name in the UK - another company was already using it and had rights to it. They tried to negotiate and failed, so introduced a different domain for UK users as of mid-October 2005. The domain was only available to people in the UK who registered for GMail after 19/10/2005. However, it is just a redirect to the @gmail.com addresses. Both will work and get delivered fine - Google just aren't allowed to use the GMail name in the UK.If you want a @googlemail.com address then you'll need to move to the UK :) However, try it with a @gmail.com address. As they redirect to one another, it might be possible to use it anyway. Give it a go and find out.

when we go to google.co.uk it goes to a 404 page or a search engine (browser default)
seee
http://www.webpronews.com/

The rollout of Google's new email service, Gmail, may have hit a snag. The Market Age, a smaller British company, claims they already have trademark rights for the name "Gmail", and have been using it since June of 2002.
The Market Age states that their email service is available to over 80 countries and that it will not just relinquish rights to the name "Gmail." In an interview with The Guardian, Chief Executive of The Market Age, Shane Smith said, "it seems to me as a layman ... that we must have the right to the name since we were the first to use it. I do not think we want to give it up, we're not a charity."

Google's representatives said they were unaware of any trademark dispute. The search engine's lawyers failed to find any registration of the name by The Market Age.

News of the potential trademark face-off saw The Market Age's stock double in price. Currently, TMA is in the process of contacting the US Patents Office in hopes of registering its interest in the trademark.

Edited by mahirharoon (see edit history)

I live in the UK and use @gmail.com . I don't think it matters too much , as long as it's usable. I don't think it matters if you put @ gmail.com or @googlemail.com. I've sent things to and from it using oth adresses. But I didn't think there was a copyright issue involved. Meh . google will probably get it anyway , money ussually wins

Well I didn't knew that there was @gmail.com and @googlemail.com too.But I think gmail is better of the two,because it is short and easy to type,takes less time.But @googlemail.com includes google and thus sounds good,but I don't think that it matters to many as it doesn't matters if you use @googlemail.com or @gmail.com as google mail has become a popular service and gmail is also recogonised now.But I don't know how to change gmail to googlemail.But If anyone knows then Kindly post in here because I would like to try that version as well."I Like Trying New Things". :)

I've seen this before and wasn't entirely sure what the difference is as I have a gmail account and somebody that I know has a googlemail one. i think it depend on you and both of them if usefull when we have one account from them...because you can get more availabe space of your memories in this account....good luck....

Interesting how they are issues in the UK in regard to free email providers. Even Hotmail iirc, has their own "name@hotmail.co.uk" extension. To my knowledge, .co.uk is the only country specific, localised @ Hotmail (or Windows Live Hotmail, as its now known worldwide).

All these problem because there was already a service in the name in Gmail.Some of my friends had an account like that... like @googlemail.comAn Google did try to come up with a solution and finally everyone who has a gmail account will have a googlemail account...Like... if my Id is god@gmail.com, mails to god@googlemail.com will be in the same inbox. This is more like an additinsl mail ID to your already existing account... So...

Hi Everyone, my first time here,I'm new to all this. Tried to look for GMail Support e-mail address, to ask them my question,but no luck. So here I am.PLEASE HELP !I constantly keep getting the following message (below the dotted lines) every time I send an e-mail to someone with a GoogleMail address,even changed it to "@Gmail", and it doesn't work. Please advise what it may be, what does it mean and how can I fix it from my side, or from their side. I know you are very busy people, but your assistance will be Highly Appreciated.Many Thanks for your prompt response.FedUp (you can e-mail me the answer if you like at;- "fedup@webmail.Co.Za")(Here is the message - I deleted the persons name to protect them)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: hey you !... Sent: 28/04/2008 20:22The following recipient(s) could not be reached: c...@googlemail.Com on 28/04/2008 20:22 550 Relay not permitted

PPL ;) who want an email address like anyname@googlemail.com read following ---It is very easy to add @googlemail.com at the end of your email address.When I read this topic fist and the reply of copyright issue from a replier, i got the idea how to do it. Just see the logic as google has to change the name for special country they must be decided the domain whether gmail / googlemail.com based on your country selection. Just change it, they will automatically re-write the domain name to google.com. Below I tested it form myself if you undone follow my step. It will must work.1. Enter your name and other information as usual.2. write a existing gmail.com account name at user name input box. Like I have a gmail account with id raqibul so i wrote raqibul.3. select country United Kingdom4. fill up other boxes as your will and submit the form5. the form will reload with warning the user name already exist and look they have changed the @gmail.com to @googlemail.com now you write a name that is available. Note you will not get any name that you used at @gmail.comI will be glad if I can fill your desire. Thank you.