xisto Community
Acraine

Phpbb

For all of my boards, I've always used phpbb. I love its versatility, the skins that are created for it, and its capabilities as a free BB app. I do realize, however, that there are many BB options available. Has anyone else used phpbb, and would be able to compare it to the opther solutions available out there? I thought about trying another one, but the amount of time and effort to transfer over has always bept me from trying it.

i prefer invision pro board over anything. they have very nice mods, and skins are about the same compared to phpbb, vb, and things like that. i dont really like invison free tho, i dont like not having a database to change the skin and stuff :-p but my second choice would be phpbb idk why i just like it better than vb

i prefer invision pro board over anything.  they have very nice mods, and skins are about the same compared to phpbb, vb, and things like that.  i dont really like invison free tho, i dont like not having a database to change the skin and stuff :-p but my second choice would be phpbb idk why i just like it better than vb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't argue with that. PhpBB sucks. Invisionboard is easy to use, setup, host and maintain. The best if you've got some cash is Vb, but if you've got some cash.

i used phpbb... i think it is simply and easy to used i guess...so i used it in the first place...and continue...i might try invision board for future site..but for now i would continue with phpbb...i dun really think about paying for them...so Vb is not my option....maybe someday when i have some cash in hand i might try ...but the functions and etc sounds good to me...except i need to pay for it.,,,so depends what sort of board u need it for...

the great thing about phpbb is that its free! you have to pay for an invision power board or vBulletin board.

phpbb is easily customizable, easy to use for admins and users as well

invision board - you have to pay for, but its also easily customizable and has great features. this seems to be the most popular choice tbh

vbulletin - again u have to pay for it. if you have a business site, specially one doing e commerce, i suggest this one... makes u look rich and respectable lol. it seems pretty customizable, but i dont like the features for the users. also i havent used this a lot either (as an admin), but tahts just wot i tihnk.

one forum ive got my eye on is one called ProBB, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . its not yet released are there are no public beta/test versions, but it seems to have the normal features of any board. also the code is valid (you dont get this on any of the 3 mentioned here), which also means it loads pretty fast as well.

I've used PHPBB, because it's easy to moderate, but nothing better than Invision Power Board, it's great!alot of mods for it, alot of skins for it (not easy to find on the www) and it's just cool :rolleyes: when i tried it first, i just closed it and stopped, but tried again and then i noticed how easy it is after you get how it works! just try it, it's great!I used SMF board too, found it on fantastico, but i didn't like it, doesn't look too good, no mods, no skins (yet!) and i just didn't like the administrating/moderating. Right now i'm reading through the 'probb' board mrkill47 suggested, i'm gonna try thatone aswell-edit- waiting for the probb release :)

Edited by m33 (see edit history)

I am currently using phpBB because it is all I need. There are enough hacks and it is easy to make your own template and design your forum exactly as your page. I agree that Invision Board and especially vBulletin are better but small sites, like mine, don't need "space" options. I need 2/3 categories and 4/5 forums in each categorie.But, big forums (for example, Xisto) are much easier to moderate using IB or something similar. Just look how much forums and categories are here and try to imagine that on phpBB. Total Chaos !Greetz!

i prefer invision pro board over anything.  they have very nice mods, and skins are about the same compared to phpbb, vb, and things like that.  i dont really like invison free tho, i dont like not having a database to change the skin and stuff :-p but my second choice would be phpbb idk why i just like it better than vb

38357[/snapback]

Invision Power board is really good... I like more than phpbb too

IPB: Better administration

PHPBB: Better for instaling skins

I prefer the skin of Invision Power Board than the skin of phpBB but I think Invision Power Board is too slow for low connection whereas phpBB is fast. And phpBB is really easy to skin, you have in the Administration Panel an option to skin it easily. For the moment I wait for Olympus, the next version of phpBB, I am sure they will build a better interface :rolleyes:

I use phpBB2 too. phpbb2 is more simple and easy to use as compared to the other forum software. However, IPB is more advanced and as mentioned earlier, easier to organize on a large scale as compared to phpBB. IPB is more for the advanced users who can fully utilize the full potential. phpBB2 is for people like me, non-coders.One example would by the control panel. IPB's one is way more advanced than phpbb's. IPB would be good for a computer forum(or something related to computer) and phpBB would be good for the lesser computer inclined community.-Shackman

Yea i like IPB the most because of all the mods you can add to it and all the other features. Though i installed php nuke on my site and it comes with phpbb and so i am trying that out right now. So far im impressed by everything it tries to offer although i cant find many mods for it that i like. I guess ill stick with phpbb for a little while if not i can always change it to IPB.So basically IPB is still better than phpbb because of the mods and advanced interface.

i like phpbb for the skins and ipb for the functions. but i like my forum to look good so i use phpbb :P

I use phpBB for some forums I administer, and I must say I prefer it over IPB, mainly because it's free, and open source... And we all know that open source is the best :PI am eagerly awaitinh new version of phpBB, wich should come out in the summer... It will be a mixure of IPB, phpBB, and some other forums, graphicaly, and functionaly.What is best about phpBB, is that you can add your own code, if you wish to change something, whereas IPB comes encrypted, so, it's not as flexible... At least, in my opinion...