xisto Community
HybridShock

Linux Which distro?

Which linux distro should I get? Here is some basic info:

I just need a basic linux for a new user.

I dual-booted my Linspire with xp and it didn't turn out so good so don't suggest Linspire/Lindows.

This is not absolutly neccessary but can I have it without being overpacked with trials and demos like xp?

It needs to be free.

It needs to pe a good one (duh)

Also is there an app like Tweak UI for it? Thanks

Oh yeah. Do you guys know some good open source apps?

Let's see.

I already have image editing (photoshop and paintshop)

I already have html editing (htmlpad and dreamweaver)

I already have a browser (firefox)

I already have an email client (thunderbird)

Thanks -HybridShock

You're not going to get a lot, if any, programs with trials...Mandrake or Redhat would be your best bets... I use Mandrake 10, it comes with loads of apps for most things you need to do. I'm told redhat is also good.And I have run Mandrake as a dual boot system with XP, so I know it works... you'll need to make sure that ACPI settings in the bios are off for it to work, though... ;)

Thanks. But I thought you had to pay for redhat. Oh yea I also have the disc for Fedora. Is fedora good? Also about the dual boot. It didn't screw up or anything I just had to remove it becuase it slowed my computer down.

I dun think that's a distro. I recommend SuSE Linux (u can download Personal for free) or use Knoppix installed on ur computer by doing thisGo to the command prompt and type su, then type knoppix-installer. Then, it will guild ur installation.xboxrulz

For beginers MANDRAKE 10.1 PowerPack should do evry job. It is easy to install, have many programs, alredy buil in drivers for Nvidia, Radeon, some modems ETC. Of course I don´t want to say SUSE is bad, it is alsow for beginers, and it is very good, but I like Mandrake more. Rad Hat is not rely for beginers, do not use it!!!

Oh yeah. Do you guys know some good open source apps?

Let's see.

I already have image editing (photoshop and paintshop)

I already have html editing (htmlpad and dreamweaver)

I already have a browser (firefox)

I already have an email client (thunderbird)

Photoshop 7 can be run on linux with emulators, try Cross Over Office https://www.codeweavers.com/, but there is better solution GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ in mandrake you will alredy have gimp 2.0, actual version is gimp 2.2. In begining you will have some throubles to use it, but after some time gimp will be your favorite.

For html you have easy to use programs like NVU or Mozilla composer and programs for experts like Blue Fish or Quanta, I use blue Fish, and it is very good. Of course Dreamweaver can be runed on linux by emulators (Cross Over Office)

You have Firefox browser who is originaly written for linux, and you have Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror, Nautilus...

You have Thunderbird who is originaly written for linux, and you have Kmail, Evolution, Opera mail, and many, many mail clients.

Almost all of this programs are included on Mandrake.

Why get Mandrake popac, (if I'm disrespecting your opinion, sorry) but Mandrake is full of rc, betas, and bugged up software, I don't think HybridShock wants that. I still recommend SuSE, Knoppix or Yoper.xboxrulz

SuSE is the best. It is easy for beginners and has also has advanced features. The setup is straight forward and YaST is great. Furthermore, SuSE is now backed by Novell which is not only a boost for Linux community but a boost for compatibility and functionality for SuSE. If you don't go with SuSE, then go with Mandrake.

Agreed, after installing all the main stream one (excluding xandros and Gentoo....also I used Fedora core 3, not Red Hat....) I ended up with Suse. In my opinion none are really "difficult" to use; just some take patients to set up. Suse on the other hand (and fedora core 3/Simply Mepis) intall nearly automonously. Gentoo is probibly the lengthiest to install, but the end results "fit like a glove" if you do everything right. I didn't have time to try since I needed to start writing a paper lol. Hence, I ended up with suse and love it....I'd go with it over any distro I've tried.

Why get Mandrake popac, (if I'm disrespecting your opinion, sorry) but Mandrake is full of rc, betas, and bugged up software, I don't think HybridShock wants that. I still recommend SuSE, Knoppix or Yoper.

I have not try SUSE very much, but I hear a lot about it. On the other hand, I have been useind Mandrake for half year and think that Official Powerpack mandrake is very stable to use, the other think is if you have Mandrake Comunity, but...

I've tested a few of Linux distros, and sticked to Mandrake. It's easy, works with all my hardware, there are many sites that have rpm's pprecompiled for Mandrake... Much to say - just test it, and i believe you will never stop using it.
Another thing is that many people use Mandrake and they can help you if you've got a problem.

As for the apps... Well there is a list of equivalents beetwen WIndows and Linux. Check it and i believe you will find there everything you need.
The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux.