xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Microsoft Claims They Can Pass The Acid 2 Test With Internet Explorer 8

Although this would go to the other forum I have to say this is shocking news in the browser wars since right now only Opera can render the Acid test successfully. Right now firefox hasn't been able to meet that success yet nor has IE 6 or IE 7, and so if the IE 8 teams claims are true then in 2008 IE could make a comeback in the web standards war and the browsers wars. I watch the video briefly and I have a funny feeling though they have set up the code in such a way that it cheats the acid test because they broke down the code to the acid test and then they mentioned they fix the problems that create it.

So now that I covered both sides of the I love IE and I hate IE clubs lets talk about the fact that IE has one problem security holes up the butt odds are that while they are making the browser work for web standards that they are not leaving themselves open for some nasty stuff when the beta comes out next year?

Also to clarify this is not I hate or love IE topic so if you want to do that go find one of the "my favorite browsers" topics that are in the forums.

So Check out their video here and see what you think.

SOURCES

Whats an acid test? Do they drop acid on the browser?

hahaha! you're actually quite close! It's a test dsigned to check your browser for any weaknesses by giving it some tests (acid) and see if those tests (acid) will do any potential harm or let dangerous coding seep through.

csp4.0 is half correct, the acid test also see how current the browser is in terms of web standards or more importantly CSS 1, CSS 2, and CSS 3. If the browser cannot renders the coding correctly you get the messed up face as you would see in any of the old browsers. As for the Acid Test being outdated I highly doubt it since it contains CSS 3 elements that only Opera 9 can handle and until firefox and internet explorer are 100% across all three levels then the test will be quite current, now don't get me wrong CSS 4 could start coming out and then the test would change again.

Don't get your hopes up about IE8 getting the Acid test right.An early version of FF3 passed the test, but the released version of Ff3 currently downloadable does not pass the Acid Test.

Don't get your hopes up about IE8 getting the Acid test right.

Well said :P

I think as SM said microsoft are incapable of multitasking, they do one thing OR the other, not both. There is no real reason why MS cant make IE compliant with standards... im sure i can think of several reasons why they cant but they would be more like insults than reasons...they have hundreds, maybe thousands of experienced good level coders so they have no excuses. I'd like to see a compliant IE and a compliant FF because if Opera can do it then so can everyone else, i man FF is getting there compared with the horrible IE7 and 6 display which is red for some unknown reason :D

Even though i detest IE7 as it is the bane of my existence i really hope, yet doubt, that they can get their act together and make a compliant, or near compliant, browser this time around. It would restore faith in IE and make web developing a whole lot easier.

for those who dont know it the URL to the test is http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ try it in internet explorer and see the horrible redness of it all then click the link to see the image of how it should look....Ugly eh? they've even managed to conjure scrollbars out of the nothingness... well done MS

I have heard about the Acid2 test, but I didn't know it is something so easy to do... only rendering a page with so much difference over the browsers. I have run the Acid 2 test on both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Mozilla Firefox is much closer to the reference rendering. So it is pretty hard for me to think that Internet Explorer 8 will pass it so easily...
You should also read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/section/technology?from=switched
For those who don't bother to read the article it seems Internet Explorer 8 was working in a "Standards Mode" when it passed the Acid2 test. This "Standards Mode" is very suspicious since it means there are more modes and it may very well be that "Standards Mode" isn't enabled by default.
And I don't think we will see an Internet Explorer comeback even in the case that Internet Explorer is fully complaint will the standards. Opera has long passed the Acid 2 test, Mozilla Firefox 3 is already complaint with standard so there is no way we will see an Internet Explorer comeback.