xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
polter

Free Web Hosting Site Fooled Me

One free web hosting site I came across fooled me into signing up with their promises of a PHP Sendmail feature, SMTP, and mySQL. And dya know what i found out after wasting my time signing up. Only the webspace and subdomain name were free, the rest you had to pay for it. What a rip off, man! :P

They did not "rip you off" unless they specifically said "Every single feature, including PHP Sendmail, SMTP, and mysql is free" and also must have had that in the TOS.It pays to read tos, they could easily say "by clicking accept, you agree to pay %companyName% 10,000USD every day until christmas.

yea, i'd like to know what hosting co. since i research most all of them before bedding down with Xisto. i may have something to add if i knew the co. :Palso, there is no ripoff when they are giving you something for free btw and when you gave nothing for their services. maybe false advertising? name the hosting site so we can review this site.

Theres not very much chance (if ANY) for legal action to successfully be taken unless they have done something with your details or made money from you joining.

Well, they haven't done anything of that sort. But I wasted my time signing up, checking my email, activating acount, only to find out the "sendmail" feature which i badly needed was available for $5 I think. I do have $5 with me :P but I don't have a credit card or paypal account to transact payment , and I wouldn't want to set up one just to pay $5. Yeah, can't say it was a ripoff, forgive the term I used. maybe I didn't read the TOs fully like you said. I've learnt to be more careful next time. Thanks
Oh, by the way, I can't remember the name of the website, cos I deleted all bookmarks and their emails. Was something like 110mb, sorry.
Edited by polter (see edit history)

What is the site? I am starting to think that this is made up.... And most companies DO sell your information but its within PP.

No, I'm not making this up. Why should I? I've signed up with 100s of free web hosting companies and this is the only that really disappointed me. Here's the website. Came across while going through my junk mail. 110mb.com. Their features :

* 110MB 5 GB Space - FREE

* Dual Xeon & Opteron based Servers

* PHP 5 - FREE!

* Live Support - *Open 5 hours a day

* FTP (chmod enabled) - FREE!

* Sendmail (PHP Mail) - *Must activate

* Your Own Domain Hosting - FREE!

* Safe Mode OFF - FREE!

* CGI/Perl - *Must activate

PHP 5 - FREE! yes, but you have to pay $9.95 for mysql database (I could buy a nice domain name with that)

* Sendmail (PHP Mail) - *Must activate, yes after you pay them $5

Can't really say they tricked me. But the information they give here is very misleading for starters like me. I'm not posting this to earn Xisto's favors, not being a butt-kisser. But I have high hopes with Xisto because after earning only 30 credits(took about 2 hours to compose quality posts), I now have a hosting account with great features.

Just sharing some of the things I came across while trying to set up my website.

That was what I was talking about. I wasted two hours or so on their website. Thank you

Edited by polter (see edit history)

Your complaining about 110mb? roflmao.It says "*must activate" next to the ones that u needa pay 4.I have to say, they are the BEST non-cpanel host, and they never said that the other features were free, they said you need to activate so you have not been ripped off! As a user of this company, and knowing others than use it, it is great and you should never doubt them!

Ok, i give up. It was my fault that I didn't go through the website thoroughly. But when you're in a hurry and want to set up your website as soon as possible, you tend to miss some of the things that you shouldn't. But I'll stick to my opinion that their advertisement was misleading for newbies like me.

If you have the time to go on the website and post the relevant information, surely you have thoroughly read the features list. ::PSo, in the end, there wasn't any false advertising.

There was absolutely no false advertising. And setting up a website shouldnt be a rush because you will stuff it up. If you need a rush you wont also get the best quality hosting.

the site he's talking about is one of the better free site but if they don't even let you use the sendmail feature, i wouldn't touch 'm. it may not be false advertising(i haven't gone to see the hosting page) but i do know some ads are very misleading and when you combine the free stuff with the stuff you have to pay for, that is INTENTIONALLY misleading for a reason because there shouldn't be a problem with just listing what you do get with you free hosting all by itself, listed out in plain english and no astricks. so this guy did have a valid point. he just misused his wording a little bit because he was disappointed. this website wasted his time. if it can happen to him, it can happen to others so this company should change the way they display what you are actually getting. that would be fair to all.

This hosting IS the best free hosting that isnt cpanel I have EVER come acrross.. no posting.. no nothing... been open 4 years, fast, always online... nffn rong with them.EVERYBODY uses "*blah" so just because 1 person got mislead by these doesnt mean that the company should get bad review. NOBODY does it in plain english. Some even say its free then charge u

English is not my native language, for one. So, when some website advertises something in a really, how do u say, "obscure" language, it IS misleading. Now, when some other website says (Xisto for example) "if you post this much in our forum, we'll give you all these features" and they do, that's quite clear enough for me. Now that I've hosted here, I've got all the features I want without having to pay a dime. That's the type of advertising that really holds credit, the type that doesn't give you something for free and charges you to make that something work. For example, I'm hosting a PHP forum. Yes, 110mb does give you free PHP but charges you for the database, without which you can't run the website. hope you got my point.