xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
footballart

Firefox 3 Is Coming

It is in Beta 1 still. But if you downlaoded you can download the google toolabr for FireFox3 Beta 1. What I like about it is the download menu. I mean everytime I downlaod something the layout is just like the Mac's but Firefox way. Also the way you bookmark stuff is easier. What are your thoughts?

Lets just hope that Firefox3 is not as bad as Firefox2. I mean, I have had a couple of tabs open and in the task manager it has taken up to 290 megs of ram. And, at work it usually locks up for a couple of seconds, about 10 seconds. The computers at work are not that bad, they have 512 or 712 megabytes of ram and a pentium 4 processor at 3.06mghz, so it cant be the computers problem. It definitely has to do with the application. Firefox 1 was really good though, and I dont have a lot of extensions or themes on it.

Its ok I have been running it a few times since trap keeps loading slow for me (its me), of course it is a lot faster since I got only 4 plug-ins that are currently running on it. Although the memory has improved somewhat the memory trick still works as well.

For those who don't know about hte minimize trick or need a refresher on its down do the following;

-Open Firefox browser, go to address bar, type about:config and hit enter-Youll see a page full with text under 4 columns: Preference Name, Status, Type, Value
-Right-click anywhere on that page and select New -> Boolean
-Youll get prompted to enter a Preference Name - enter this: config.trim_on_minimize and hit enter
-Youll be prompted for a value - select True and hit enter (in FF3 you just need to double click the true/false value)

The only things I have notice that are new without looking at the features list is they added tags to the bookmarks, when you click on the favicon you get more info about the site such has how many times have you visited the site, cookie info, and even RSS feed lists. Other then that without being one of the programmers to firefox there could be more things as well that I haven't notice.

BTW how the heck did you use 290MB of RAM or do you mean 290KB(29MB) (there is a difference)? Since I cam across something that mention that depending on the computer the less memoey a computer has the less firefox uses, and of course the more you have the more firefox uses up.

I have had a couple of tabs open and in the task manager it has taken up to 290 megs of ram

Off topic my FF with the latest version and WOT, IE tab, FasterFox, window resizer and the FDM addons only takes up 39k with 5 tabs, three of which were on T17 with the auto refresh shoutbox and the other two on the google homepage so methinks something is going on there!
Anyway, back on topic... Honestly i dont have any issues with FF so i cant say im eagerly awaiting the new release, the info on the favicon will be useful but i have a similar feature with my WOT addon which shows an icon next to links in google showing my visits and their rating. I think features from this addon should be incorporated into FF, EG it has a rating system for a web site's safety and if its in the red zone and you access that website it will freeze the loading of the page and the browser window area will go black with a big warning on it showing the rating and suggesting the risks of carrying on. Of course very useful if you type something like paypall.com (dont access that site... i dont know if its real but if it is it will spoof paypal no doubt) and would have been taken to a phishing or dangerous website but instead are warned, that happened to me when i typed "cm" instead of "com" in the amazon.com address... Potential bad times...

So a phishing filter would be great, maybe with a list of certified websites eg paypal, ebay, amazon, play etc..... all predefined in a "safe" favourites list so you never misspell them and an alert for all websites that users have rated badly but apart from that ireally dnt see what FF can add, maybe its own FTP client but i guess it has a basic one already...Or maybe a better download manager.

So based on that i shan't be downloading the beta but keep the reviews and info coming in, its always useful and I'll check it out once its released or further on in development-releases :P

Can I please have am link to download? I would like to use this when it comes out.

If you want a link to the current release of FireFox just google it and you'll see many, the official ones are under the Mozilla.org domain i think. If you want the like to the FF3 i cant help but there ya go!

Refresh my memory please?What is the hte minimize trick?

Read up a few replies and you'll see the one from Saint_Michael, just follow the steps in the QUOTE box and it should work. I dont think i ever used it so i cant provide any support but the steps shown there should do it, he's a rather wise man i hear :P

i can't wait, I just hope they fix some bugs and slowdowns caused by certain scripts. and I do think that mozilla should release a Windows Media Player plugin for firefox. Also I hope many of the themes extensions (especially noscript) will support 3.0I might get the beta although I never liked betas since there is always the problem that they could cause memory leaks etc.Well, with all the cards in play lets hope mozilla firefox 3 is not as bad as the oder versions, and lets hope they never try to copy off Internet explorer