xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MusicOnly

Database Migration - Seditio To Joomla any help is needed

Hi guys!I was desperately looking on internet for any help with migrating Seditio database to Joomla.. I`m admin on site which has more than 2500 members and day by day I get annoyed by pretty dumb solutions in Seditio..can anyone tell me how to migrate the seditio site to joomla?any tutorials on internet on database migration?thanks

First off lol. This is about as extreme as it gets to migrating databases to a large scale. I know database experts get paid a lot to do this kind of work. Migrating legacy systems to new systems because busineses cannot function if they dont have acess to their old data. One of my tutors back in uni is a database expert and thats what he used to do.I have one idea of how you can go about doing it but I'm not 100% sure its going to work so its your call if you really want to do this. Just because you manage to transfer all the data in one database to another dosent mean it will work because of how Seditio uses the data might be different to how joomla would. This is where you will have major problems trying to get things to work properly so you do need to know how both Seditio and joomla uses the database. I'm not sure how the tables are layed out in seditio or joomla but your going to have to find this out. determine any dependicies each table has to each other. I know joomla supplies you with an EER diagram you can look at and determine what table relates to what. I'm not sure if seditio gives you any but you can always just look at the tables and try and determine this yourself. The reason why this is so difficult if almost impossible as not all their tables are alike. for example a user table in seditio may only have 9 fields where as jommla may have 11 fields. your going to have to decide what to fill the extra fields with if its not applicable. You have to do this all the tables. Lets say you managed to somehow get all the data from seditio to joomlas database, this dosent mean its going to work because joomla's application code may/most likely use or require different data from the database so your going to have alot of incomplete or curupt database data.Your going to be spending hours just trying to figure out how to copy the database over and probably wont be able to test it out untill its fully copied over. I hope you get the idea this isnt an easy job. The fastest way to copy it over would be to export the whole databse as sql text and then go over each table and replace table creation and insert statements to fit joomla's database structure. Let me know how you go? I serisouly dont think you should be doing this because the failure rate is so high, too many things can go worng or be wrong for it to work.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)