xisto Community
ezz

How To Stop A Car With No Brakes ! Might be helpful

Actually these information is not mine, but I found it very useful information so I post here as I don't know where to do else, so I thought this is the best place, also I had edited some information in there "even the ones between wrapped quote tags" to my best knowledge and experience, anyway I putted down the source if you wanted to check for these info as it is.

Attention: These information could only be used however in emergencies, I mean when you are driving and trying to stop and found suddenly that there's no brakes, can't be an excuse to forget to regularly checking your car, especially the brakes :-)
I'm not responsible for any misuse to these information, they are just helpful ideas could help you one day, you'll lose nothing to read them, however I'm sure you know that if you drive fast you can't guarantee anything !!

So what if you hit the brakes to slow down and the pedal goes to the floor? What do you do?
1- Begin pumping the brake pedal, you may be able to build up enough pressure in the parking system to slow down a bit, or even stop completely. If you have antilock brakes, you do not normally pump them, but if your breaks have failed, this may work.

2- Do not panic, relax and steer the car smoothly, cars will often safely corner at speeds much higher than you realize or are used to driving. The rear of the car may slip, so steer evenly, being careful not to overcorrect, shift the car into a lower gear" or the lowest if needed" and let the engine and transmission slow you down, however shifting to a certain lower gear depends on your speed, I mean if you are driving fast and shifted the car to the lowest gear, the car may stop stronger than if you are driving at lower speed so be careful.

3- Pull the hand brake, but not too hard. Pulling too hard on the hand brake will cause the rear wheels to lock and then car to spin around. Use even, constant pressure. In most cars, the hand brake (the emergency brake or parking brake) is cable operated and serves as a fail-safe brake that should work even when the rest of the braking system has failed. The car should slow down and, in combination with the lower gear, eventually stop.

4- Blow your horn and flash your lights to get the driver's attention, you don't want to crash into a much slower-moving or stopped vehicle as this is more dangerous than hitting a car with a similar speed, however, you may have no choice, but at least try to hit it square, bumper to bumper, so you don not knock the other vehicle off the road, anyway this is an extremely dangerous maneuver.

Hope it was helpful, I wish you safe drive always, take care.

source

p.s: Sorry guys but I didn't know that there is a cars related sub forum before I posted this, so I contacted one of the moderators to move it to it's appropriate place, sorry this was my mistake and sorry for any inconvenience.
Edited by ezz (see edit history)

Couple things to add.If you have a standard transmision, you can start droping gears. Blowing a transmission is a lot better than crashing. Also, going around corners slows the forward momentum of the car. If traffic allows, weave back and forth. Depening on the type of road you are on, if there are gravel shoulders or those otherwise annoying rumble strips, droping one side of the car on them will also slow you down. If you are in familiar territory, try to remember where the nearest uphill run is, and definatly avoid down hill runs!

Heh. This one's tough, but when your getting ready to slow down, go really slow. My go-kart doesnt currently have brakes on it and I was with a little child and I got in an accident and we both got hurt really bad :[ Learn From this experience

O wow i didnt know what to do in this situation. O.o wow this is such a great help to me if my brake give out lawl D: thanks for this i hope never happens to me but hey... now i know what to do if this ever happens to me lawl :DD great find thanks so much for this

you can try to move the car into a hedge or something to ensure minimal damage to the car. or you could jump out of the car and let it run :lol: but the best thing to do is prevent it so get your car serviced when you are meant to. make sure you change your tires when you have to and obviously make sure your brakes are working. the car service station are able to check brakes. by doing this the brakes shouldn't fail.

For a while my car only had brakes if you pumped it a couple of times first... Thats a sign your brakes need bleeding!If you have a manual you can stick it in a low gear and dump the pedal, when the synchro is up to speed push the pedal back in until it slows down and repeat. I use this occasionally to regulate my speed down hills.It's always a good idea to leave a little room to manouvre, and if possible have an escape route in the back of your mind at all times in the event of something unexpected. It's better to weave around a car that stopped for no reason (if you can) than to slam on the brakes and risk being in a 7 car pile up!

Well heres my tips :P

1. Drive into a nearby pile of snow, it will slow your car/vehicle down effectively without scratches! Not advised if it is a solid ice wall, or it is actually a pile of stones that has snow on it :D.

2. Slam the gears into reverse, and gently apply pressure to prevent the clutch from going through the roof.

3. Move the steering wheel left from right very quickly.

4. Drive into people, may leave marks, but generally quite effective also.

5. Don't drive in general if you know your brakes are failing or failed!

1. Drive into a nearby pile of snow, it will slow your car/vehicle down effectively without scratches! Not advised if it is a solid ice wall, or it is actually a pile of stones that has snow on it :P.

2. Slam the gears into reverse, and gently apply pressure to prevent the clutch from going through the roof.

I actually did #1 after having slipped on a nasty, icy corner on a dirt road. Unfortunately, the pile of snow also had a nicely-sized rock in it... something you're not going to expect until you find out that fluffy pile of snow isn't so fluffy.

#2 is just about impossible. You will be trying to make the car's clutch catch a gear spinning in the opposite direction... resulting in a lot of grinding noises and a burning smell. Newer cars will have an electronic lockout preventing you from even being able to do such a thing while traveling over a set speed (over 5 mph or so).

Try #3 in icy conditions. :D LOL @ #4... you forgot to mention that your speed will exponentially decrease with each person you run over. Large, stable obstructions provide the best results.

Well heres my tips :P

1. Drive into a nearby pile of snow, it will slow your car/vehicle down effectively without scratches! Not advised if it is a solid ice wall, or it is actually a pile of stones that has snow on it :D.

hehe, nice tips there flashy, I was really wondering if hitting a pile of snow (that doesn't have any 'surprises' like you mentioned behind it) would be beneficial in a situation where the brakes aren't working. Glad you cleared that up for me. Also, like rayzoredge said, the new models of cars prevent you from slamming the gears in reverse.

I hope I'll become a great driver when I grow up! :)

Well heres my tips B)

1. Drive into a nearby pile of snow, it will slow your car/vehicle down effectively without scratches! Not advised if it is a solid ice wall, or it is actually a pile of stones that has snow on it B).

4..Dude, wtf? If you run into people, if you stay alive after your ride, you deffenetly go to jail to life or a death sentence. So better to just, jump out of the car, or maybe if your life sux, just go in a down hill road and...ride :P

But, what about if you can't start your car, you are on a road where cars go 100+mph, and your car stops..?B)

Theres an easy solution if your brakes aren't working.Just make sure you have an eject button in your car that shoots you up in the air and opens up your parachute.Seriously though, brakes not working would be a nightmare thatI've never seen and hopefully few ever do. At least once a year have your car taken into the garage and checked.

1) Switch off the engine and try to find a road with a steep incline? But make sure it stopped before the down slope begins.2) Drive near a pavement so that the wheels with rub against the curb and create fiction to slow and eventually stopped the vehicle?3) Shifting to lower gears to engage the engine brake?4) Find a wide enough road and do an sudden swerve of the car (and pray that it wont go turtle).5) Pray and hope that the brake will miraculously work again.

you should try hittin your car in some type of grass or just not accelerating it.hope so it will deacclerate your car or try taking it to some uphill but be-aware that the car can go down also............