xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
varalu

Pidgin Messenger All about this open source messenger...

If you are interested in having a universal chat client... visit the below link.

http://www.pidgin.im/

You can sign into multiple accounts of various providers at the same time. Like more than 2 gmail, yahoo etc.

All your chat contacts will get listed. Very convenient to have one application running rather than Gtalk, Y! messenger etc.

Also, there are so many features. You have everything you want and can go for max customizations...

Have been using this for the past one month. Its really nice.

Its Open Source... So you know what can be done...

Its available for all OS's.

What else is available in Pidgin??

Pidgin is an instant messaging program for Windows, Linux, BSD, and other Unixes. You can talk to your friends using AIM, ICQ, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr.

Pidgin can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AIM, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Pidgin supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, and typing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more.

Pidgin runs on a number of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems. Looking for Pidgin for OS X? Try Adium!

Pidgin integrates well with GNOME 2 and KDE 3.1's system tray, as well as Windows' own system tray. This allows you to work with Pidgin without requiring the buddy list window to be open at all times.

Pidgin is under constant development, and releases are usually frequent. The latest news regarding Pidgin can be found on the news page.

You are interested in contributing to Pidgin? Read the contents below...

We always welcome feedback and contributions. You don't need to be a developer to help out, but if you are, you can help us by fixing bugs in our code or building new functionality into it. Our development site includes numerous resources for getting started with libpurple, Pidgin, and Finch development.

If you are a regular user, we encourage you to let us know about any problems you encounter and to provide us with suggestions for improvement. You can do so via our support system, IRC channel, XMPP conference, or development mailing list. We also encourage users to help one another solve problems and discover new features using any of these media.

You are a developer??

You can contribute to pidgin. Visit the developer link in the site.

Please visit the below link for downloading Pidgin.

http://www.pidgin.im/download/

Edited by varalu (see edit history)

You should more of your experiences about PIDGIN here.Also, if you have some more tweaks that can be done for its better performance, do share it with us. Because i find it a bit slower...

so it's like and instant message thingy?
i just use yahoo

it works for me

Its not just another instant messenger. What if you have a Gmail ID, Aim, Yahoo and have migrated to these service at different times and want to keep in touch with all your contacts? Instead of installing separate softwares for each one of them,... gtalk for gmail, Yahoo messenger for Yahoo etc. You can use Pidgin, using which you can sign in to all the services at one shot.... Apart from that it also has a lot of other features which is not present in any of the other clients.

And another feature which is not yet implemented in any of the client is the plugins feature... Like in firefox, you can add addons to your pidgin client to add additional features, which you would like to see.

And another feature which is not yet implemented in any of the client is the plugins feature... Like in firefox, you can add addons to your pidgin client to add additional features, which you would like to see.

Most of the other popular IM clients don't have add-on support, but some do, although they may not be as platform-independent as Pidgin is. Speaking of add-ons, after following up the Python d-bus tutorial and documentation on the Pidgin website, i managed to make an extension to Pidgin. You can find the topic i made about it here. I haven't done much research on how to get Pidgin to make use of the plug-in so you won't have to start it separately, so for now it takes up its own space in the system tray. This one i believe only performs the on-screen display, but that was part of another Pidgin extension project i was working on; i just took only the OSD from it. Can be useful for learning purposes if you can't use the extension.

Would you rate this program worse or better than Trillian?I've been using Trillian for a few years now. It is Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ICQ, and a few others as well, and you also have one contact list with that.There are hundreds of add-ons for it, and hundreds of different skins, along with the ability to easily make your own.Have any of you used Trillian that can make a solid comparison between it and Pidgin?

Sounds pretty interesting. I think I am gonna check it out. Right now I mostly use Yahoo But I do have AIM that I use occasionally, And I have been thinking about giving MSN a try so I think this is definately something I am gonna check out. Thank you very much for sharing the info!

Have any of you used Trillian that can make a solid comparison between it and Pidgin?

Performance wise, Pidgin wins. When Trillian Astra comes out it may get closer to Pidgin's performance. Concerning plug-ins, Pidgin is the winner concerning cost, since you have to purchase Trillian in order to use plug-ins. However, concerning how useful the plug-ins are it could go either way due to personal preference. But the Pidgin plug-in pack is filled with a lot of useful plug-ins, and the plug-ins are capable of using almost every function that Pidgin itself uses. Concerning platform independence, Pidgin obviously wins. Concerning look and feel, Trillian wins, especially with Trillian Astra. Concerning MSN capabilities, Trillian might win, since most of the MSN capabilities in Pidgin is due to reverse engineering, thanks to Microsoft's restrictions. That's about all the major points i can think of.

Thanks for those views.As for Trillian being a paid "Pro" version...It used to be free as well. It was not even created for profit, but there were so many downloads and so many feature requests that they(Cerulean Studios) decided to create a paid version as well.I'll probably check out Pidgin later. I haven't kept up with Trillian updates either...I just download it when I reformat my PC. Other than that I don't do updates or anything, XD.

My first messenger was Pidgin, at that time it was called GAIM, but it changed its name some time ago and got better, I really like to use it and always did for ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo, even though it can connect to some other protocols too, I've been using Jabber, but I forgot my password, since then I just don't use it.. Anyway, I didn't talk there with anyone except my brother who also had/has an jabber account. :DPidgin is really to use, I never really used all those messengers separately, I just had this program since the beginning. :D

People have never heard of Pidgin?! It comes with Ubuntu 8.10 (well the one i downloaded :D) - and i believe it also comes with fedora (not sure)Pidgin is the most low resource instant messenger client i think that is out there, and it is more favourable than MSN :D In my opinion anyways :DAnd the great thing about it is that you can sign into about 10 or 15 different providers, plus you can have your own custom instant messaging provider. Rather simple in fact, just enter the server name, port and the configurations.Oh yeah and Pidgin works *not as good* on windows than on linux, but it is still very decent.