xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keego

Ftp Help Use i need help on FTP, i think im abit confused

HeyI've just opened a hosting account and i wasn't sure if this was how you do it, but i was taught how to do it like that. I guess Im writing the wrong thing , abit confusing for me.If you use dreamweaver to upload via FTPthe hostname or FTP adress for mewould be "ftp.keegonguyen.com" is that right?What folder on the server would you want to store your file?/home/keego/public_html/ <-- is it this?on the cpanel it says use user log in like "john@doe.org" <-- do i do the samething but jst change john to my user name and keep "@doe.org?"cause i tried that and it goes my password is incorrect or use login.Can someone walk me through it please.Thanks

hey keego, check this out. It should help you out:
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/3438-instructions-settings-for-hosted-members/

To access your cpanel, go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (this is probably the easiest link to remember to get to your Cpanel)
You should now see a small dialogue box with two text fields. Enter just your username and password
That should do it.

To access your account via FTP use this address: keegonguyen.com
enter your username and pass.

That should probably work. Tell me if that works.

I hope I'm correct Admin. This is what works for me!!

Yeah ive done all that, thanks for the helpBut like im using dreamweaver, and it asks like for the user name. and in the help email and all says u gota use a log in name like "john@doe.org"not jst "john" so i was wondering if i wrote mine wrong. or do we have to do the same cause mine dont work lol

Hey
I've just opened a hosting account and i wasn't sure if this was how you do it, but i was taught how to do it like that. I guess Im writing the wrong thing , abit confusing for me.

If you use dreamweaver to upload via FTP

the hostname or FTP adress for me

would be "ftp.keegonguyen.com" is that right?

What folder on the server would you want to store your file?

/home/keego/public_html/ <-- is it this?

on the cpanel it says use user log in like "john@doe.org" <-- do i do the samething but jst change john to my user name and keep "@doe.org?"
cause i tried that and it goes my password is incorrect or use login.

Can someone walk me through it please.

Thanks

To answer your first question yes that would be your ftp address, and to answer your second question I did a small test in dreamweaver and if you follow these quick steps you will have access to your account.

1. Open up dreamweaver
2. Go to Site > Manage Site
3. Click New Site
4. Select FTP & RDS Server
5. Put in your ftp address, login name and password
6. Click Ok and you will be connected

Now the FTP will show up o the right side or just hit hte F8 key and it will appear where ever that menu is.

To answer your first question yes that would be your ftp address, and to answer your second question I did a small test in dreamweaver and if you follow these quick steps you will have access to your account.
1. Open up dreamweaver
2. Go to Site > Manage Site
3. Click New Site
4. Select FTP & RDS Server
5. Put in your ftp address, login name and password
6. Click Ok and you will be connected

Now the FTP will show up o the right side or just hit hte F8 key and it will appear where ever that menu is.

Thanks, i did that , but i need to know what to put in the boxes, cause it keeps saying my user name or password isnt correct, otherwise it says server isnt allowing connections..

so i wana know if your username would jst be eg."john" or is it "john@something.com" .. cause yeah its not working.

cause ive used dreamweaver before to upload my uni work to the schools website.. but my one doesnt work.