xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hagebyhemdata

How Do You Discover New Music?

How do you discover new music and similar artists to the bands you're listening at. When I'm bored to death listening to the bands I like, I use of course google.com phrase searching for example "Similar Artists system of a down". I also use last.fm, which are superb listing, similars.But back to my question: How do you discover new music?

If you have satellite, you can discover new music at MTV channel. You can watch New band, new singer, new album, famous songs, and top hits. There are lots of programme in MTV. I love to watch MTV and sometimes record some MTV. Now, I do not have satellite in this house and just listen from Youtube. Maybe you can check in http://www.mtv.com/ too. If you already have your favorite band, you can go to their website and search when their new album will release. If you know their album name and song titles, you can search in Youtube. Yes, there are lots of steps to do. :P

As it is mentioned Last.fm is best..it isYOU can generally Search On google and other sites like mp3.com ....This sites have lists of different Artists...some are new and some are unique...give it a try

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)

Triple J (Australia), Last.fm, and there is also some fairly good radio stations found through google as well. As for buying it, I would if i really like it (eg I am bothered at times to buy some good songs online). Although I'd admit to downloading it first and giving it a go, which in turn eventually gets deleted if I dont like it.

I like that old time Rock and Roll,that kind of music just sooths my soul.I reminice about the days of oldwith that old time Rock and Roll!I hear a little of the "new" stuff on TV, and here and there, and it just doesn't do anything for me. Don't like it. Not any of it. I just find an oldies station and ignore everything else. I do have a bunch of great songs I dowlnoaded off of Napster before they got busted, So I listen to those cd's in the car or when I'm working at the kennel.

ummm, why do you have a dog for an avatar and signature?anyways, i usually listen to the rock and roll musicsometimes i will listen to the punk, and techbut i will never listen the the countryno offence but i just don't like country or rap

I mainly watch TV, with the usual channels ect.Wikipedia's quite good. You type in your favourite band and it comes up with the genre, of which you can search through that and find more.I also ask people in my school, because a lot of them listen to music.The radio as well, but my friend suggested one method:To go into iTunes, I think, and then look through compilations of your favourite genre. It should come up with some new bands you haven't heard of.Basically, any new bands you haven't heard of, listen to their songs. You'll be surprised at what you find :)

Well I think it depends upon the type fo music one is listening. I personally listen to electronic dance music, more particularly TRANCE music and in this genre, new great tracks keep coming out every weak in different radio shows like "a state of trance" by armin van buuren or "trance around the world" by above & beyond...These shows present 20 newest tracks from past couple of weeks and this is how I hear them for the first time...If there is a track I particularly like, I use audiojelly or beatport to download stuff, because that is very cheap nowadays and you really get full quality, even many remixes of the same track for a very low price...This is how I find new music every weak...Thinking about those people who listen to 70s or 60s or 80s...they must have a problem finding NEW stuff :):( Because 70s are way over now so they have to stick with what they've listened for million times before...but hey it is a matter of preference..

Thanks everyone for all advice and tips how to discover new music. I've and will definitely start using some of them.I appreciate taking your time to reply, everyone have they own way to discover new music, and there lies the treasures of contribution and sharing to the community. Once again thanks!

Well, I usually search for a band I like on last.fm and check the similar bands shown on the left. Some might be well-known and well-sounding bands but you might also find some new bands that aren't famous enough to get played on heavy rotation. It doesn't give you the full songs (at least for the well-known bands) and you usually cannot download any songs, but at least it's legal, entertaining and easy to use. You can also create a radio station of the bands you like and get to hear similar music with the one you select.Another nice way is using the personal stations on Y! launch cast but the variety of the music they play (despite your selection) isn't a great way to sort bad bands from the good ones.

I actually use Wikipedia a lot. I've looked up tool and found that i also like bands like "A perfect Circle", "Black light Burns", "The Deftones" for instance. I pay particular attention to genre and associated acts that are linked to a particular band that i know about. It can be a little hit and miss that you find something that you "really" like.