xisto Community
patrickcurl

What Language Did You Take In High School? I myself am a Latin Geek

What language did you take in HS  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I must say that I absolutely loved latin when I was in Highschool - my latin teach was Mr Vesely he was pretty cool, a little odd looking, he had the weirdest goatee. I have some pretty fond memories of those days. I think the funniest was when I, an innocent church going geek, walked in on the foreign exchange student at Latin Convention, as he was fixing on getting his groove on. He probably would've hit a homerun if I didn't decide to hit the hay early, lol ... the sad part is back then I was oblivious to the signs, a guy and a girl in an empty hotel room....hmmm....lol.

I took spanish. It was a great class with a great teacher. We also had some students that made the class... interesting :P. Everyday was fun in her class though, we would sometimes make pinatas or tamales. There was always something new in there.

French was on the Curriculum for a minimum of three years. grade 8 through 10, when I was a student and then I took a year of Latin. Having the 3 years of French allows me to be able to understand a bit of the language still, but traveling through the Province of Quebec here in Canada was a great reason to have had the time to study it.Latin was a great course. It meant that all those big words at University were easy to comprehend due to the use of Latin as a base for the English language and knowing the 'root' of the words was a boost to my vocabulary.

Up to four languages for me. First it was Italian in primary school as early as Year 4 and Year 5. Then I went over to Japanese for Year 6 and 7, Then French for Year 8 and Year 9. TBH, I went pretty average in all three languages, at least passing but not doing anything spectucalar. Years later, I probably dont remember much of the 3 languages except for hello and goodbye, and maybe some of the numbers from the three languages.

Well, I'm still in high school, but I'm taking Spanish.Been taking it since 7th grade. (we had Spanish class since 2nd grade, but it was just basic nouns and stuff like el, la, los, las)I still don't know enough to seriously speak with a Spanish person and absolutely even mostly understand what they are saying. My dad speaks fluent Spanish, but my mom doesn't so I wasn't brought up with it :P . So, now I'm stuck taking it in high school.

I took spanish when i was in high school. It just seemed to be the most relevant language since Latin is no longer used, French and German are only spoken in a few countries and then there is spanish. Since spanish is spoken in most of south america and is becoming more popular here in the US, i figured it would be the language I took. Those days really were not fond. Its not because of the langauge but because of the teachers and the actual curicullum. We just had to do stupid quizes and memorize tons of words and then just go through random exercises. It was not very hands on and thus one never really got excited about the class. I wish there had been more conversations and cultural awareness in the class because it would have made it much more fun and i most likely would have learned more.

when i was on sixth grade, i took spanish for half a year.but it was fun, the spanish teacher was ms.gross and she wasvery nice to everyone. all i remember is uno dos tresbut i vagley remember her teaching us the spanish alphabet and numbers/phraseswe had to watch some disney movies in spanish thoughi couldn't understand anything.......

Hey.Why isn't there Chinese on the list? :PI am currently in my 2nd year of chinese at mny high school, planning to do 3 years.My parents are chinese, so they speak it every day, and as a result, I am somewhat fluent.

My first language that I started learning in school was French.Then the year after that, I carried on with my French studies but took on German as well.I think, during GCSE or A level, I might be able to take either latin, greek ect.Not sure on that. For latin, all you're doing is translating because nobody speaks latin to a person nowadays. I want to learn latin... Might some day though.