xisto Community
Hirishiolo

A Week Without The Cell Phone can we try?

I want to make this experiment. A week without my cell phone. I turn it off now and I'll wait a week before turning it on. I will see if I'm so connected with it (and I will resist!). I will posts my impression... I will use only normal (of my house) and public phones... If someone want to follow my example can write here his impressions! Let's go!

Ah, trying to see how strong you are, eh? Well, I wish you luck. As for me, I know I could easily go a week, probably even a month without my cell phone, the only reason I really have one is because my friends and family need to contact me. So if I followed suit, it would be more of a stress on my friends then on me.

I agree, I rarely use my cell phone, and when I do, it is mainly to contact my parents and brother, which I see everyday.I can also borrow someone elses' cell phone to make a call.Good Luck :PResist the urge!

yes, i use the phone mainly for CONTACTING people. i dont need it for gaming or toenail clipping and all those other extras that many people use them for nowadays.its actually quite sad that we are trying to STOP ourselves from using technologies! these gadgets have become such a lrage part of our lives that everyone has an pod, or a phone, and if told to part with it they will say 'i cannot survive 20secs without calling my best friend'anyway, good luck. a week without a phone would be easy for me, though.

I don't think a week without the cell phone would be a great idea. I say this because, a week without your cell phone would not only affect you, but also your friends and family who try to get in touch with you.Recently, i tried something similar. I have a Sony ericcsson w810i. I use my w810i for my music, scheduling and photo capturing . Due to the amount of addiction i developed to my mobile phone, i decided to stay away from it for a week or two.I exchanged my w810i with my friend's Nokia 1100 !!! The 1100 was a basic phone with a few basic features. And i should admit the fact that, messaging was too good with that phone. As i started that week with 1100, initially i missed much sleep. I have a bad habit of listening to songs before going to sleep. so, i was badly missing my w810i's music. All i had in hand was 1100's snake game.As days passed by, i found the snake game to be a good way to pass time. Though it was a very small and simple game ,it was fun . and also , i found the battery of 1100 to be amazingly long lasting. It could hold charge for about a week. The flashlight facility was also neat. And after the week passed by, i got my w810i back. But, now.. i miss the 1100 , for its simplicity !!!!!

I think I could really live without it over a week, though I would really loose communication with a lot of people which, though I would see most of them on the messenger. I really think it would be pointless for me, maybe because I just bought my first cell phone about a year and a half ago. I could definitely survive...

I've been two weeks without my phone now. And it's not intentional, mind you. I got pick-pocketed.It's not really just about the phone. A week before that, my watch died. When I lost my phone, I had almost no knowledge of time between computers :PIt was quite a liberating experience, really. Not being hounded by time close on your heels is a relief I didn't know I could afford. I mean, I used to feel rushed and as though there isn't time for everything. As a matter of fact, there is, as I found out. Only, with a constant reminder of the time, it doesn't feel like it.Other things about being phone-less, though, is that you tend to lose contact with people. I do have some acquaintances I've only known through phone and, with the loss, I feel only a severe stroke of fate or serendipity will cause us to meet again. If you think it's painful to lose a friend, there also is pain in losing what could have been a friend.It's also harder to coordinate events. In our country, people a considerable distance from each other usually communicate through texting. Without that privilege, I don't usually get word of emergencies until its too late; by that time, someone had taken over for me. In a way, it's good, but not when you're thinking of your career's future.All in all, I'd say, a phone is essential for communicating and I really miss being buzzed ever and anon. It makes me feel needed :DWell, for now, I just bought a new one. Quite spartan, monochrome LCD, no games or music. I think this will do :D

Wow, I don't think I could go that long without my cell phone.It's not that I use it a lot, but it's the occasional important/urgent calls that I would miss that would get me.In a way, my cell phone is also a comfort thing. It's not a matter of 'do', it's a matter of 'could'. I lost my phone a few days ago (it fell out of my pocket and got stuck between the seat in the car and the storage box thing) and it felt very strange not having it around. I think I could go without a phone a while, but it would take a long time to get used to. It's like wearing jackets for a long time, and feeling naked without one.

Today, I died. I had the need to use it. After 12 days of experiment (without my phone) I surrender. I had to. I give up!!!! And... what orrible weeks!I don't have my friend home numbers (and the one that I have are on my cell phone) so I had to wait for their call to get in touch... bad! And I lack my games and my books and my calendar... oh my God! I will retry my experience next year! In January! Let me make some wishes to far parents and friends for Christmas!!!

This topic has actually made me a bit sad.It just seems so useless that, not only would you bother to try to give up the phone, but that you'd fail at it.There are hundreds of thousan--- Millions of people out there who don't have a cellphone at allWho lead active livesWho stay in touch with peopleDon't go insaneAnd all those other thingsAnd are perfectly fine.I'm one of them.No phone and I don't really care.The only reason I'd ever even get one is for those times I need to organize spontaneous plans and I'm already away from land lines.Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there.Since so many people being addicted to cell phones is kind of sad to see around.

A cell phone seems like a necessity, but to me, it's more of a convenience.I lost use of my cell phone when it was stolen out of my car a couple months ago. While waiting for the insurance to ship me a new one (two weeks or so), it was painfully-obvious to see how one can be addicted and almost dependent on one.I don't make a lot of phone calls. But when I do, it's nice to be able to get in touch with anyone just to share a moment, ask if someone needs anything from the store, or get business done on the run. It's also nice to be able to be contacted by friends and family... it still frustrates me quite a bit that my parents are out of touch as soon as they leave the house. Cell phones are great in emergencies too when you are helping a fellow motorist by calling AAA or even 911 should the worst happen.I don't play games or listen to music all that often on my cell phone... and I don't really text too often if at all.In all reality, I love having a cell phone for the convenience, but I can live without one.Good job to OP, by the way, for surviving 12 days. In this happy-go-lucky technology world of ours with the newer generation, not a lot of people could survive a day without going mad. :P

Lol I have never had a cell phone, but I am considering one. Its that sometimes you get an emergency and you have nothing to use to contact your friends or family. It would be too much of a hassle just asking around to borrow other people's phones. :P