xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jasontian

When The Life To The End When the life to the end

Brief introduction to the speaker :Oliver Wendeil Holmes (1841-1935) Oliver Wendeil Holmes, Jr., was known as ?the great dissenter?. In 1902 President Theodore Roosevelt appointed him an associate justice of the United States Supreme Court. He served until he was almost 91 years old.In this symposium, better is it only to sit in silence. To express one?s feelings as the end draws near is too intimate a task. That I would mention only one thought that comes to me as a listener-in: the riders in a race do not stop short when they reach the goal, there is a little finishing canter before coming to a standstill, there is time to hear the kind voice of friends, and to say to oneself, the work is done. But just as one says that, the answer comes the race is over but the work never is done while the power to work remains. The canter that brings you to a standstill need not be only coming to rest, it cannot be while you still live. But to lives is to function, that is all there is in living. So I end with a land from a Latin voice who had heard the message more than fifteen hundred years agoļ¼šdeath, death, clutch my ear, and says, live, I am coming.