xisto Community
Lyon2

Changing Domain Name Without Losing High Traffic To My Site Need Answer From Admin

I have a doubt to do what i want, so i am going to the point, m ysituation is that i have a Xisto free subdomain where i have my free flash clocks website, and its link is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Recently i bought a domain name, its link is http://www.freeflashclocks.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t, and what i want to and i am not certain if i can is that i want to, redirect all the visits of my free subdmain to my new domain, just for 1 or 2 months, if that is possible, i apreciate it if it is not but you allow it because i have thousands of visitors a day (~7000/day) and it is growing fastly, and i do not want to loose them, i just need to do this for a while to people get to know the new adress to use my free flash clocks website.

I apreciate if an admin could answer me as soon as possible because i am ready to start the redirect in a few days, if it is possible of course.

Thank you.

Are you asking admins because you'll continue to be Xisto hosting member?The only way to achieve is to do it in stages.Stage 1 = continue to have Xisto subdomain. Add-on new domain to your hosting. Copy or duplicate identical website to add-on domain's folder (add-on domain will create a folder name of your choosing). While running a full acting website under your new domain, advertise "move notice" on your subdomain while subdomain still being active.Stage 2 = after you are satisfied that your subdomain is ready to be "terminated" you go ahead with domain name change. It is critical that you backup your add-on domain before you do the next. 1) you have backed up all your active web files 2) unAdd-on domain 3) using Process page you change your domain name to your new domain 4) upload all backed up web files.This ensures that you're not losing any traffic to your subdomain and build awareness to your new domain. Do the transition while traffic is very low or alert visitors of "Server Maintenance" before you migrate. Let me know if you are confused with this plan.

A domain normaly is a redirection. So if the host is Xisto and you'll only change the name, when yot go on the domain you'll be mirrored to your host. So no traffic lost. Both links will work. If Xisto is not your future host, create a new index for your Xisto homepage with the info and links for the new website.

Let me be more simple and to the point BuffaloHelp, i want to ask if i can redirect any requests to my free subdomain at Xisto to my new domain, i am just not sure if i can do that since i am redirecting all trafic to a different domain, nonetheless i earn the credits for the free web hosting at Xisto.If it is not possible because it is against the rules or something like that, i ask to please let me do that for 1 or 2 months, i would be very apreciated.BuffaloHelp, that was a bit confusing to me, i am sorry, but thank you a lot for your answer, some i did get it, but if you can say things simpler please, i would apreciate that too.Thanks de4thpr00f too.

Im a little confused but if your new domain name is also a new webspace then you could try this... if its the same webspace but just a different domain name than this is really useless i think.. but if its a different webspace you could just use a JS redirect or a PHP redirect from the old to the new and display a notice to users. If you were asking if its against the TOS rather than for advice on how its possible then again, this info is useless but maybe it will help

One you thing you could do is just post a notice in your site that you will change the domain within X time. After about a month, update your Google index and put the domain on a temporary webspace wih a URL to your site. After X time, switch your domain. I think that could work.

Edited by coolcat50 (see edit history)

If I am not mistaken you can go to the redirects part in your subdomains cPanel and set the main folder to just redirect to freeflashclocks.com.

why can't you do a simple 301 redirect. i know you know how because i remember you posting about it a while back in another thread. changing domains is never that easy to keep your visotors or your search engine rankings(if worried about that too) 301 will let you keep your visitors bud and it's easy and most efficient.
if you want to keep your rankings, that's a little harder.....or transfering your rankings. i would keep your old website for the current rankings for now and create a whole different website for your new domain name and then do the seo on that seperate one. create a link on your new website from your old one(should be a good incoming link to start with). eventually, you'll have the same pruducts, but with two different websites. you can then target more keywords and work on them both individually.

the reason why i suggest this method is because your trap site is free. it's not like your switching domains because one is about to expire. you keep your old site and work a little harder on both sites. hope you understand what i am saying. maybe a bit confusing

but again, if only worried about visitors, then use a 301 redirect bud. easiest and safest way to keep all your visitors :P hope this helps ya....hoping

I have a doubt to do what i want, so i am going to the point, m ysituation is that i have a Xisto free subdomain where i have my free flash clocks website, and its link is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.
Recently i bought a domain name, its link is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, and what i want to and i am not certain if i can is that i want to, redirect all the visits of my free subdmain to my new domain, just for 1 or 2 months, if that is possible, i apreciate it if it is not but you allow it because i have thousands of visitors a day (~7000/day) and it is growing fastly, and i do not want to loose them, i just need to do this for a while to people get to know the new adress to use my free flash clocks website.

I apreciate if an admin could answer me as soon as possible because i am ready to start the redirect in a few days, if it is possible of course.

Thank you.

There seems to be a lot of confusion here.
First of all Lyon, would you like to cntinue hosting your site on Xisto or are you seeking a new host. If seeking a new host, the solution is simple. Just go to your Cpanel and set up a redirection from
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ >> http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

But if you want to stick aound with Xisto, do as BuffaloHELP says.

NOTE:
I previously has a freedomain at Xisto - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Then I bought a domain http://angadsodhi.com/
Paid some credits (20 if I remember correctly) and changed my domain to angadsodhi.com
But as soon as I changed my domain, angad619.trap17.com was not accessible (ie you'll lose all traffic)

If nothing works out, do as I had done (though I had much less traffic at that time)
I never gave my <subdomain>.trap17.com address to anyone
I used a free domain from freedomain.co.nr
Therefore my site was angad.co.nr which would redirect to the Xisto subdomain without the user noticing it.
After a couple of months I suddenly changed my domain to angadsodhi.com and immediately redirected angad.co.nr to angadsodhi.com
Therefore my visitors never noticed the change. Then I notified everyone that I've bought a domain called angadsodhi.com
Even today, angad.co.nr redirects to angadsodhi.com

Paid some credits (20 if I remember correctly) and changed my domain to angadsodhi.comBut as soon as I changed my domain, angad619.trap17.com was not accessible (ie you'll lose all traffic)
If nothing works out, do as I had done (though I had much less traffic at that time)
I never gave my <subdomain>.trap17.com address to anyone

i believe it's 15 credits to change domain name and your right. if you do it the way you did it, you will lose all your traffic and visitors that would normally arrive from the various advertising sources of the past, nd lose your search engine rankings completly. you could have just added on the domain to your existing xxx.trap.com account. but i am going to do what you did. i have a new domain but i am not worried about losing visitors. i have none.

i still say as long as the one website is established, to make a whole new one with the new domain with a slightly different design and content. you keep your visitors and you keep your rankings.

also, if he doesn't plan on keeping his hosting account for trap, a redirect wont work after credits go to 0. so he would have to keep his hosting account either way to keep his visitors obviously 7,000 a day is friggin' a lot of visitors. did i read that correct? :D one of the more successful trap accounts i'm sure.

hey lyon, start a new thread and tell everyone where you're getting your visitors, how long it took to get where you are, and what you did....when you have time ofcourse :P

Thank you all, i deciced to keep my free site here at Xisto and work on the new one, i guess i can have the monopolium of the free flash clocks websites, at least the first and second results of the major search engines, i feel that it is better to work with the 2 websites to have almost all the searchers for free flash clocks for websites and blogs.

anwii, obviously my big problem is the google page ranking that i achieved with my Xisto free site about flash clocks, have it for some years now, i have tons of nbound links from popular websites indexed by google, and my new domain does not, but i thought i could rerirect all the thousands of visitors [high traffc] of my Xisto free site to my new domain to my new domain.

Another problem i had and still have is that my google adsense account have been suspended when i used to use inside my Xisto free website, and that is why i bought a new domain to use with my new google adsense account, which it will be registered with my girlfriend's personal data, or else i could not use google adsense never more, and i must because with all my high traffic, i am loosing big bucks, at least 50 to 100 euros a day, which is what i predict with my average 7000 to 9000 visitors a day.

Thnak you all, much apreciated for your replies.

Thnak you all, much apreciated for your replies.

i think it's msart to keep your trap site and visitors and rankings. you could always still do the 301 redirct but this way is better. also. a suggestion. i am assuming you are getting the high rankings in google which means you probably don't have as high ranking in the other search engines. i would suggest to optimize for the other engines with your new domain name. then you would really get the best of both worlds. remember also not to copy the same content. both sites would need to be different or google will penalize ya. so you do it this way then it wouldn't be considered spamming either.

as far as adsense, good idea to create another acount. don't let your friends or you keep clicking on the links which may not be the reason you got bonned, but most probable according to what usually is the case with banned users. your figures are about right. i averaged $1 for every 100 visitors. so with your figures, you'd be losing $70 a day. there are also a couple other good ad programs that are out there. don't believe that adsense is the best. and since you will have two sites, you will be able to test your market better.

one last thing bud. since you advertised on a major forum how you have little competition with your rankings, you will have some now. i would suggest editing your post nd getting rid of your link and any mention of your F C's and consider this thread closed just so nobody tries to compete with you now that you advertised your info to the whole world. believe me. the net is full of scabs ready to steal ideas and work hard in less competitive markets just to make a few bucks. you would be wise to edit your post as suggested

good luck to ya. update us about your progress with your sites in another thread and let us know how you created a great success with your Xisto website :P obviously if you have high ranking in google, you have a bunch of incoming links and great original content.
Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

This thread has given me some hope about what can be done when transitioning a website from one address to another. Thanks so much for that, because it's something that I've also been wanting to do with one of my sites, but have been very worried about how my visitors and search engine rankings would suffer because of that. If you can, try and let us know how you do end up going about it, and how it all works out for you.Thanks :P

Good Luck, Lyon2.Do hope you make the best of this transition and come out with all guns blazing!!As google proves it, you really are the best in the biz!!!Yours must probably be the most successful blog on Xisto! (that leads me to ask you, don't you have bandwidth problems??)