xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
muji

The Gimp And Commercial Printing? how to get graphics printed?

The GIMP is a graphic program that's freely available and runs on Linux or Windows (probably Mac too). I've been using The GIMP on and off for a few years now. Found it particularly good for manipulating pictures, and adding text to pictures. For example it's handy to add text to a photo of the kids and make it into an invitation to one of their parties. Then it's just a matter of getting a few printed at the local photo-shop, or print them at home.

Of course you can do much more with the GIMP, particularly once you work out how to use 'layers' properly and how to set the .dpi for your image. I have made up fliers etc using the GIMP. I even designed some stationary at one point. However, the fun comes if you want to get something commercially printed. Digital printing seems to be easy enough. But spot colors are just not compatible. Some printers will give it a go, but there's issues with colors not 'matching' and so on.

I'm wondering

a. what ways there are to work around the spot color issue while still using the GIMP. ie how to save to an appropriate file format etc

b. what alternatives programs are out there commercial or otherwise that would do a similar job to the GIMP, but produce files that can be commercially printed.

What do you know?

The most important problem with this issue is that you should download the latest stable release. With GIMP 2.2, you can save your images as several image type files and even .html for tables. GIMP can save as the native file, Photoshop files, JPG files, GIF files, and PNG files. That isn't even close to all of the file types. As for your question of other programs like GIMP. There is a program from ADOBE called Photoshop CS3. It is a program used by professionals, but it costs at least $600 USD. All i would have to say is try out all of GIMP's file extensions. GIMP is a very useful program and can do more than you think.

I think you need to set your document's colors to CMYK instead of RGB if it's on something other than CMYK. CMYK, i hear, is for printers. It shouldn't matter which image manipulation program you have, so long as you use the right color settings. The GIMP, i think, does not come with CMYK support by default. You may be able to find out a way on how to obtain CMYK support for the GIMP by Googling around. You may also want to try out Scribus, it has CMYK support—mostly because it needs to have it.

The most important problem with this issue is that you should download the latest stable release. With GIMP 2.2, [...]

The latest stable is 2.4.*. It's a recommended download—has a different menu layout and some nice additional features that were not in 2.2.

As truefusion noted, you typically convert to CMYK before sending to the printers.

There was a good article in Computer Arts Projects on this (the print design issue special).

...flicking through that article, it notes that:

...most presses are 5 colour, so CMYK and a special can be printed in one pass...

Perhaps having multiple spot colours is causing your problems? Spot colours aren't something I've personally dealt with, so that's the best you'll get from me I'm afraid.

It's issue 85, perhaps see if you can get a back issue? Or more realistically, Google is your friend :)