xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pyrogirl64

Okami - A Game Worth Purchasing

Okami is this Japanese game about this Sun God (Or goddess according to the Japanese religion, called Shinto) called Amaterasu, who is in the form of a white wolf.

The idea of this game is that amaterasu has to travel throughout the land of Nippon, dispelling the curse zones left by this evil, eight-headed, serpent, called Orochi. Amaterasu does this by collecting the thirteen celestial brush techniques from the thirteen gods, which do wicked things like slicing enemies with the power slash to blowing them up with cherry bombs... really an excellent and beautifully designed game. I feel the developers really put a lot of effort into this game, which is almost flawless in terms of glitches. Yeah. I felt it was definitely worth the money :)!

EDIT: In fact here's the link to the Okami page on Neoseeker if you want a a closer look at the game http://www.neoseeker.com/okami/

Edited by pyrogirl64 (see edit history)

Okami is this Japanese game about this Sun God (Or goddess according to the Japanese religion, called Shinto) called Amaterasu, who is in the form of a white wolf.
The idea of this game is that amaterasu has to travel throughout the land of Nippon, dispelling the curse zones left by this evil, eight-headed, serpent, called Orochi. Amaterasu does this by collecting the thirteen celestial brush techniques from the thirteen gods, which do wicked things like slicing enemies with the power slash to blowing them up with cherry bombs... really an excellent and beautifully designed game. I feel the developers really put a lot of effort into this game, which is almost flawless in terms of glitches. Yeah. I felt it was definitely worth the money :P!

EDIT: In fact here's the link to the Okami page on Neoseeker if you want a a closer look at the game http://www.neoseeker.com/okami/

yes i have played that game. I thought it was "iffy" when you try to use your tail to paint... i could never get it to work properly, but maybe it was just me.

the game got good reviews, like "Best playstation 2 game of 2006" -Playstation Magazine, "10/10" Game Informer, and MANY others, so the tail thing must be user error

I have just checked the screenshots of this game, the graphics look really amazing. I would love to play it but I dont have ps2 :P

Okami is actually a great introduction to understanding some of the references to Shinto'ised Ideals such as Orochi *being the devil in a comparison sense towards Christianity (lucifer who had taken the form of the devil), in which Orochi has made many other appearance motifs throughout all of Japanese popculture (shinobi for the PS2, Orochi was a devilish god *one of the four demon gods to destroy*, and in Naruto "Orochimaru" is a centered villain who has the physical attributes of a snake.) In which some of these cultural relevenances towards "good and evil" ideals one is known to be certain of these little easter eggs across the game "Okami". A closer look at the ideal of "Amaterasu" emphasizes the importance of light, in which light represents the ultimate good, the day, the safety, the comfort, the security of light within itself. This game promotes these ideals thus actually conserving the japanese culture in a sense. Even the painted format of the game emphasizes the oriental beauty of japanese design. It's just another of many preserverances that the producers came up with. In fact, Okami is what got me, obsessed as you might say, interested into Shinto and the Japanese Cultural Arts.

There were a lot of great places to explore and a ton of side quests to do. Many people prefer the PS2 version, but if you only have a Wii, you can get this version instead. Also, it's similar to Zelda games in many aspects, namely the overworld and dungeons. And, when I say it's similar, I don't mean that that it's a slightly changed version of Zelda - it just uses a lot of the same formula for gameplay. It's a great game, and if you don't rush and do all the side quests, in can take almost 30 hours. Some people have a problem using the Wii remote for drawing, but I never really had an issue with it - just make sure your sensor bar is working correctly. the only hard thing to draw on the Wii would be a perfectly straight line, but if you hold down the Z button on the Nunchuk while drawing and point the remote to the right (or where ever the end of your line will be) it will create a nice straight line for you.