xisto Community
AlphaOfDoom

Help: Internet Server Error

Hello! I decided to try YaBB as a forum now, just testing....and ...

Well first my question is, this is in ADDONSCRIPTS, not FANTASTICO, whats the difference?

Secondly, about my problem:

I was in the YaBB admin panel, I got through the Forum Settings, got to Advanced settings, filled out the info, and pressed save.

The 5000 times I have tried this, I get this:

Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@sherwoodinfo.trap17.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at sherwoodinfo.trap17.com Port 80

I can't seem to fix it, any ideas that could help me?
Thank you and please reply, for the sake of my forum!!!!
Edited by AlphaOfDoom (see edit history)

I have never installed a Yabb before, but it looks like maybe there is a file permissions problem.Review the Install instructions and see if there are any files or folders needing a chmod to 777.Post back here with the results.Thanks.

Well, when I installed it, I just gave the info and it was installed, but I didn't see any instructions, where do I find these instructions....cause it was..Choose password: CheckGive e-mail: CheckAnd some other admin infoAnd then Click INSTALL: CheckGave url, done, and I went there....so...

does it require a database and user to be set up? and did you do that?*edit*No database required. Totally Automatic Install. Only needed to add the Admin Password.*edit* link removed by jlhaslip to avoid a 404 error since I have un-installed the packageInstalled instantly. Not sure whay went wrong with yours, but try an un-install and re-install.

I tried and it is the same thing, it works fine until I get done with the ADVANCED SETTINGS....then BAM. Both times I tried this (uninstall, and reinstall) Is there something I could be changing wrong in adVanced settings? Could you possibly look at the advanced settings in your little Yabb thing on that link? I really need help here...:)

Ok I got a question, sometimes I see forums (including that link you gave me) that tell you to download a forum...so it gives you these packages to download....my question is, can you download them and run them in my hosting account here, if so HOW, and if not, then how do you do it?For example, say YaBB Worked, I managed to see an INSTALL MODS section, they make you go to the site, and download the mod. How do I Install it?Please reply!

Installation of a forum or its mod(s) are like installing a software for your computer. But since we're strictly dealing with web hosting it's even much easier than that.For a general purpose installation here is an example how you would install a forum/component.1) download from the source site2) upload the content to your hosting. for Xisto purpose, you can upload the whole .tar.gz or .zip file to your /public_html folder and use cpanel to unzip. this will save considerable amount of time uploading all files3) when unzipping you can choose to unzip to a designated custom folder or unzip to a default folder, i.e. forum4) if a forum requires SQL use your cpanel to establish SQL with database name, database username and database password with proper permission5) follow the "install" link, i.e. your_domain/forum/install and adhere to the instructionA well documentation is the weakest link for most forums. The developers expect you to "know" some knowledge or too busy developing the script that they forget to write a detailed instruction. And when you go for the support they are annoyed by your question. This isn't how it should be; but that's how it is.Additional components or mods are basically installed within your "forum" i.e. your_domain/forum/folder_of_mod or your_domain/forum/target_directoryIf you unzip the mod download and notice the same directory name "folder_of_mod" or "target_directory" it basically means to upload mod scripts to that directory. Or you'll note a TXT file which instructs you to find certain codes in certain lines and replace or amend modified codes. Follow those instructions carefully. Read and re-read for clear understanding before you edit a file. And remember, take your time and do by numbers--first things first and then the second.I have installed many mods for IP.B and I have yet to find a well documented instruction by creators. I hope AnElectron forum and forum mods would take this lesson and incorporate into their teachings :)

So, download from the source site....CheckOk for the upload part, when I go to file manager first I see Public Html, so just upload this whole thing in there right?Then unzip....alright..So I can make another folder in here and unzip it to this folder? And how do I know if it is mySQL?I apologize for all the silly questions, I'm still learning about this stuff......EDIT*******Ok I downloaded it,I uploaded it to Public HTML, I put it in forum.....but now my next extremely dumb question, how do you Unzip? Is this 'Extract Contents?' I tried this, another screen opened saying all that was extracted, and then I went back, and I guess it worked? But how do I get to it, and set it up and what-not, I don't know where to find the instructions on it...and about the MySQL, what should I do?If only I knew this better >.<

I think your suppose to unzip those files locally on your desktop first then open up the folder and have a read through the readme files. I've never tried unzipping on a remote server before. You have to read the instructions that come with the program if there is any.

sonesay is correct in suggesting that you read the Readme file which is usually included in the package.And which software are we discussing here now? Did you download an AEF Forum? or a current YaBB?

Alright, unzip on desktop, and then

open up the folder and have a read through the readme files.

That means what? I have never done any of this before...

And I downloaded AEF, the latest, and have it on my desktop as a whole bunch of things (it was extracted to the desktop through winrar, and I also have it in it's whole zipped package on the desktop, just need to know what to do with them...

Ok based on that, let me show you how dumb I am....

First of all we thank you for choosing AEF.
AEF 1.0.3 requires PHP 4.1.0 or higher and MySQL 3.23 or higher.

However we recommend that you should have PHP 4.3.0 (or better) and MySQL 4.1 (or higher) for the best perfomance and to use some extra AEF Features.

Got that.

You will also need the following MySQL information:Username
Password
Database Name
Hostname
Also it is recommended if you have the GD library installed in PHP.

How do I know if I have this?

After downloading AEF 1.0.3 unzip it on your computer.

Uh.................ok...

You will now need to upload all the unzipped files to a directory on your server which supports PHP and MySQL. Lets say you uploaded all your files to a folder board on your server.

Oh god this means my Xisto hosting account right? And how do I do this?

Once all the files are uploaded to your server open up your browser and visit the URL of that folder i.e. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - where http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is the URL to where you uploaded it.

URL of the folder? Meaning the URL it gives in the File manager?

And after that I can get it, but I need help on some of that....