xisto Community
magiccode9

Microsoft Readies Early Preview Of New Parallel-computing Tool

Althrought parallel omputing was used a long time on mainframe system such as IBM.
But it still does not present on personal computer.
Microsoft now really announced it's parallel computing technology preview on it site.

Here is some quote:

Microsoft execs have been talking up during the past year the ongoing shift to multi- and many-core technologies. Now the company is putting its programming tools where its mouth has been.
Microsoft is making available as soon as this week an early preview build of what its calling ParallelFX, the Parallel Extensions to the .Net Framework.

Microsoft Developer Division Chief Soma Somasegar blogged about ParallelFX and said Microsoft planned to make the preview available on November 29. But as of this blog posting, Somasegars blog post had been pulled. In any case, the release of the preview sounds imminent.

Update at the end of November 29: The December Community Technology Preview (CTP) of ParallelFX is on the Microsoft Downloads site now.

What the original posting did say was that ParallelFX wuold run on the recently released .Net Framework 3.5 and would rely on C# 3.0 and Visual Basic 9.0 features. These features include:

Imperative data and task parallelism programming interfaces, including parallel for and foreach loops, to make the transition from sequential to parallel programs simpler.
Declarative data parallelism in the form of a data parallel implementation of LINQ-to-Objects, allowing developers to run LINQ queries on multiple processors.
New concurrency runtime used across the library to enable lightweight tasks and effectively map and balance the concurrency expressed in code
Microsoft is working on a variety of many-core/multi-core projects, including its MS-ManiC (Memory Systems for Many Cores) research initiative.

Althrought parallel omputing was used a long time on mainframe system such as IBM.But it still does not present on personal computer.
Microsoft now really announced it's parallel computing technology preview on it site.

well speak to me like a two year old because i don't understand all this tehnical mumbo jumbo. what is parallel technology. i've never heard of this term before. how will it benefit me on my home computers?

I must ask if it has anything to do with parallel computer.Cause if it does it's being used for years and it's not news.To answer anwiii question:Think like a lan, you can change files between computers, right?With parallel computing you can use the hardware of other computer, like ram, like processor.So you have 10 computers, each one with 1gb of ram, that makes 10gb to 1 computer with parallel computing.It's used for very difficult maths, like calculate the velocity of wind. You need a very precise computer.That's the main idea. But still, i don't get it how it's relatedwith asp.net or vb.net :\