xisto Community
anwiii

Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

This isn't just DISH.  Direct TV is the same!  It isn't their companies to blame, but the 'contract' installers that work on a per diem basis.

Having now been an employee for DTV for around nine months, I can shed some light on the way these companies operate. There's a reason DN stock value has plumeted and their subscriber base has gone lower and lower for so many consecutive months I can not count. Originally I worked for Ironwood, but they were soon to be called "Direct TV Home Services", a totally owned subsidiary of DTV. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I can tell you the installers from the Spokane WA office are mostly completely professional and, on the whole, do a bang-up job even when the conditions aren't the best. I know that many of the DN installs are done by a contract company out of Spokane, but some are done from local contractors too (I don't live in Spokane, but a couple hours away). I've seen the work DN installers do and I've been quite disgusted by some of the shoddy work. I know that if a thoughtless tech were to punch a hole in the roof or cause any other damage to the structure, the office in Spokane would hire a contractor of your choice to repair the damage. If I were to lose my marbles or stop caring about where my money goes, I'd not hesitate to patronize DTV, but they are only the lesser of two evils. They pay their employees only about half of what they should (the install techs in the field), requiring them to drive many hours without compensation. It's unthinkable to treat your hardest working people so badly.

Dish is not a scam you just have to know what to say to customer serviceDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

I work for dish as an installer and have heard it all.  I find that they are actually better in customer service than direct tv from all my customers.  the signal strengths are always going up especially hd so droped signals are getting fewer and fewer.  if you don't like what one customer service person says try another one, in my experience this is the best plan of action when dealing with them.  if you talk to the right person you'll get what you want.

I Feel like im the only one who is satified wit my Dish Network satellite. My installation went smooth. And i pay what i expected to pay!!

you are one in a few, jade. or maybe you just don't check your bill or pay attention too much on what was offered and what you actually got. i guess the old saying IS true. what you don't know wont hurt ya haha

I Feel like im the only one who is satified wit my Dish Network satellite. My installation went smooth. And i pay what i expected to pay!!

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Dish is a Scam!Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

I have had similar problems.Two salespeople came by and talked us into switching over to Dish. No setup fee. No installation fee, and the critical question I had for them was can I terminate the service if we move or do not like it. I was told yes to everything, so I thought I would give it a try.

They came and installed it while I was at work. When I got home I asked my wife for the receipt or paperwork. They let none.I asked her if she signed anything and she said no. So, I tried calling them, and the call center said that I was not a customer. They had no record of me.

I then began calling the installers number, which was local, and on the receiver. I called for a week, about 9 times. I let messages every time and my phone number. No one ever called me back.

About 12 days after the installation I get a bill, and it is over $50.00. I think it was $57.00. Almost double what I was expecting. So, this time I called the number on the bill, which ws the same number I had called the first time.

This time they had my information and I told them everything thing that had happened. The person I talked to was foreign and I could not understand her very well. I had to ask her to repeat everything 2-3 times.

Finally I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. They had to transfer me and I was upset already, because the first person told me that the bill was correct, and that since I had two televisions hooked up the charges were increased, plus an installation fee.

I told the manager everything all over again. I said that I was never told about an additional charge for the second TV, and that I had asked about this before they installed the service, was told that their was no additional charge.

The manager kept trying to interrupt me, just like the first woman. I was getting upset and she told me to read my contract. I told her that I never received a contract. I never even received a receipt. She said that I had to have a yellow or pink colored paper that someone signed for when the receiver was installed and I told no.

She then starts telling me that the installers and the salespeople do not work for Dish Network, that they are 3rd party contractors, and that they should have us sign a paper and left a copy.

This is when I really got upset. I told her that I was done and that they could come back and take the receiver out. She said that they can not do that. They can only install it. She told me that they woud have to send me a box and I would have to pack it up and ship it back to them, but that I would have to pay an early termination fee.

I asked her how much that was and it was near $150.00. I told her that since I never received any paperwork that I was not liable, and reminded her that I was told by the salespeople that there would be no early termination fee. 

She again told me that the installers and the salespeople do not work for Dish and they misrepresented Dish, if they said those things, implying that I was lying. I could tell by her tone that she never believed what I was telling, and this upset me even more.

I told her to send me the box and that I would never pay them a dime. Now I have a collection agency calling me everyday. I told them to take it up with Dish. I will never pay them a cent. I work for myself so they cannot garnish my wages.

And if they try to take me to court I will tell them everything again and refer to all of the other complaints on the Internet.

-reply by Bill W

I almost forgot: There was a common observation from my customers I found interesting but could never explain. They agreed, when switching from DN "Charlie" to Direct TV "DIK", the picture seemed sharper and brighter. I've never been able to determine what would cause this observation, but I swear I heard it from many many customers.

Bill W,It is so fortunate that you and your wife did not sign the paperwork or received a copy. The court will be on your side.Ask the billing company (since the 3rd party is only liable for selling and installing) to fax you or send you the copy of this signed paper work. If you do receive it (but most often you don't) examine and see if your signature was forged. And most likely it will be forged or none there because you and your wife did not sign anything. The collection agency will try to push you around. Request for copies of signed document. Without a proof they will get nothing from you. You will have to be strong and put up with their nonsense. Use BBB (The Better Business Bureau) to your advantage. File a complaint immediately. File it both Dish Network and the invoicing company.In the meantime do not send anything back. And you should really consult with an attorney with this one. If you give up your equipment sometimes it can comeback and bite you. Hold it for evidence that installers were there at your place and getting billed for something you did not legally agree to. Gather copies and information as your proof. You will need it.Basically you will need to let the Dish and installation company to try to make goods on their part. But after few attempts you can simply say enough is enough, I gave you many chances to comply with my satisfaction and now I want it gone.Good luck Bill. Let us know how your fight goes. Don't let them push you around! :)

Scam Scam Scam same here... Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

Same BS, Sales woman told me something and I started getting billed for something else and more, called and called and called from one manager to the other same BS one of the calls I told them that I will cancel the service and not pay them a dime and the cancled it, I went to my online account to see what credit card they have on file so I can cancel it and my access was canceled so I called back and reconnected the service and guess what , $20 reconnection fee, and with me still on a contract they will not give me the $15 promotional fee off, cuz I canceled and restarted ! I asked to receive a copy of my contract to see what I agreed one and what I signed on and they transfered me to the same number you mentioned above, 720 514 8555 ex 81622 . He said that the contract request will take about 10 days and if they don't find it they will charge me $99 activation fee and ill be without a contract! and they want another 2 months in advance because I restarted my services which I already  paid the first time, I still have couple weeks before my payment is due am not going to pay them anything else and am ready to dispute every charge and every record they put on my credit card and credit histroy, I have a house and a car so am not worried about that.

the whole issue statretd when they told me they will give me HD  for 2 rooms , free DVR and free local channels, guess what . They came and installed only one receiver that gives for 2 rooms which means you cannot get HD for the second room I called and complained and they sent me another reciever that doesn't have DVR which I agreed for, when the bill came guess what, am charged for the socond receiver the DVR services and the local channels !

This is absolutly outragous that big companies can do that, am detirmind to take it to the maximum level, everytime I called and I argued with them they put notes and then my bill goes up more and more like they getting me back for arguing with them or something, from $50 to $85, they didn't even try to reach a settlement or give a little credit or anything to make me feel like a customer or that they respect their customers.

Am in Florida and for the person in Cali saying everyting is smooth with them , good luck bro... Your still at the beginning wait and you will see.

Good Job on this post and on keeping it top in the search results , good job on the website too, companies like that should pay the price let me know if I can be any help regarding this issue for anyone.

-reply by Mitri

I had an agreement with dish network on 6/27/2009 it's a 24 month contract. The first 12 months was supposed to be $24.99 a month, Then $39.99 a month for the remaining 12 months. However after 6 months they decided to start charging me $39.99 a month for the remaining 18 months plus they trippled the price of the receiver and there are some other fees for a total bill of $59.99 a month. They told me my contract says the price will never go down but can go up. Based on my experiance I would highly recommend NOT doing bussiness with dish network. If you feel like you must do bussiness with them have them send you the contract and have an attorney review it and guide you thru it.-reply by Shane

Dish Network is a screwed up company.Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!I am a former employee of dish network. I left because it was so disorganized its not funny. I was told 5 different things on how to answer calls and what to tell people. When I started there I signed up for service since I would get a disccounted rate. At that time I was told by several people, From my coach to my trainer that since I was employee I didnt have to sign a contract to start service. Well since I'm not longer with them I can get the same channels I want throu directv. So I called up and canceled my dish service. Well the agent informed me that I was under contract that I have to pay the fee. Well funny thing is I still have my employee number they give out when u want to start your serivce. So the fight begins. I will update on how it goes. I'm currently waiting for them to send the boxes so I can send their reciver back. All they care about in their call centers is getting you off the phone. I was always getting talked to about my handle time. I would rather get a customers problem taken care of vers rushing them off the phone. 03/08/2010

i wish they had decent cable service here. cable is what i was used to in california when i lived there and had no problem with my cable company. i've had direct t.v. before with no problems but really didn't stick with them long enough to know for sure. i don't like to assume direct t.v. would be just as bad as dish network. nor have i done the research on direct t.v. to know. all i do know is if i cancel my dish network account, i am cancelling my credit card first since this is one of their major scams to charge things on your credit card that wasn't authorized. but i think i will try to stick it out with dish network until my contract expires. otherwise, i will be liable for additional charges and pre cancelation fees. my next update will be something semi positive in regards to dish network executive office support. i'm trying to be objective in every area in what i write here and just give the facts in my own experiences....good or bad...but so far it's been a nightmare dealing with dish network smile.gif

I remember Dish Network...

Personally, I rather like Dish Network. I remember that I used to watch tons of movies and random TV shows on there. It was like my second hobby (the first? i forget. it was a really long time ago...).

But, now that I think of it: it used to be really messed up. My memory is flawed, so I can't really spout exact details. After a couple of years (or was it months?) the satellite thing would lose signal or something, and there'd be no TV for a while. In the winter, I remember entire weeks going by without a single minute of TV.

I guess Dish Network isn't as good as it could've been.

Watch my YouTube report about getting screwed by Century Link and Dish Network. Please pass it on to all who have been screwed.Forward the link to everyone you care about.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ your complaints to EJDComlaint@aol.com

I was also scammed by dish network! The sales people lied to me on the phone about signing up for auto pay. They said I would receive 6 months of HBO for free instead of just 3 months. Also, I had ordered an additional receiver for my garage. This was before I figured out that the HBO was really only for 3 months. They told me that I could pay $99 now and 7 dollars a months(I made sure I was clear on the $7 a month three times before the call ended). Well that wasn't the case. They charged me $149 dollars for it and 14 dollars a month. I didn't pick this up because it was for my fathers account. He just had a heart attack and a minor stroke. I was trying to get his bills down to cover medical bills. The garage is more like an extra room that I was planning on staying in while going to college. Hoping I would be able to help out with his bills. Come to find out...I purchased the receiver. Why would I buy a receiver that only works for dish network. I called many times complaining. All I did was my waste time. They gave me 3 free rentals! I heard them laughing about it in the back ground of the call. I have three family members that are with them. We all will be leaving when our contracts are up. I'm not even sure if I bought the receiver. It might be another lie so I sell it and they can charge me for it. again. I don't care what they offer me when the contracts up!! I will be leaving them!! Thanks for the chance to complain