xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

World In Conflict Game review

Posted Image

Christmas has come early with World in Conflict, which does to RTS genre what Bioshock did to the first-person shooter. It redefines it.

Set in a hypothetical 1989 when USSR invades both Europe and America in a startling World War III to prevent its internal collapse, the game puts you in the shoes of Lieutanant Parker, tasked to help defend American soil from Mother Russia. In between, players also get the chance to play on the European front where NATO forces are holding the line.

How World in Conflict differs from other RTS is by doing away with base building and focusing on a reinforcement system. Players spend an allotment of points on units, and if they die, the points slowly trickle back for you to order in more. These units are split between Air, Armour, Infantry and Support, eash with its pros and cons. Players pick a path and can buy a small number of units - ranging from heavy tanks to light transport vehicles - from them. Gameplay is fast and furious, consisting of squads working in tandem (often with AI-controlled allies) to achieve goals.

While the story alone is worth the price, it's the multiplayer scheme you'll be coming back for. With a full-game client, Voice-over IP, buddy lists and ladder rankings, it's clear that a lot of thought went into the game. Diving in, you'll find a choice of the four paths to choose from - Air, Armour, Infantry and Support. Players will need to divide themselves well in order to succeed by supporting each other in battle. On any one map, you'll often have up to 16 other players in any of those classes trying to battle it to help take objectives, but World in Conflict isn't geared for solo heroes. Players will absolutely need allies. For instance, tanks will chew up enemy armour and fortifications, but anti-tank infantry and choppers will make mince-meat out of them, requiring two or more players to tag along with each other for proper fire support.

If you find yourself alone and outgunned though, all is not lost. The other resource in the game is called tactical points, gained by capturing specific locations on the map, completing your objectives or simply killing enough enemies. These give you the chance to call in various arsenal - from napalm strikes that can burn down forests shielding infantry to the ultimate graphical glory - a tactical nuke.

One of the things you'll love most about World in Conflict is how jaw-dropping realistic the graphics are, even on a mid-range system running a GeForce 7600. Zoom in all the way and tiny details like canteens and infantry can be seen. Zoom out and watch the landscape getting blown up. The ability to level forests, bridges, buildings and more are routine, a feature that was not so common in previous RTS games.

In short, if you're any sort of RTS fan who's always believed that more players fighting really wins the war, this is your battlefield.

I still think the 1vs1 battles are very slow, but the 4vs4, or 8vs8 battles are very fast. The lack of units make this game sort of empty, espiecially to those who play Supreme Commander. The graphics like you said are very good, though putting up the graphics level does do alot, 1 can run low graphics at around 30FPS, but on Med. graphics I run around 8FPS. But I haven't played to retail, I've only played Demo, and Beta versions.

Well I have wanted it since saw the beta played on xleague.tv (britains only gaming tv channel) anyway its not out for 360 yet which is the preffered platform I'd want it on it's coming out early next year thoug :) I cant wait

MJay I say this is the best RTS game I've ever played. The single player campaign is amazing! The tactical aid ohhh theres so much to choose from! The multiplayer is fun, especially in those 4v4 battles. What can I say, I'm a fan of RTS!

I took this in a multiplayer game I was playing once. Awesome eh?

Posted Image

When the smoke cleared, there was a BIG-A** CRATER WHERE THE IMPACT WAS! THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME I RECOMMEND YOU GUYS GET IT!

Edited by AbdurahmanL (see edit history)

Apparently this "RTS" games differs very much from the other games in the genre, but it's supposedly fun nonetheless. I never played it before, but my friend from school claims its awesome. Graphically speaking (not judging the quality of the game by it's cover though), it DOES look awesome. I'll probably need a better rig if I wanted to take a swing at this game.