xisto Community
sanjay0828

My Idea - How To Send People Flocking To Your Website

How to increase traffic on one's site????

I have this site running Google Ads

Ya... thought of making some quick bucks

But sadly, there weren't much visitors to my site

I asked my all-knowing-oracle-friend what was the solution?

His answer was quite simple - search engines

Was he kidding?

I couldn't possibly compete against those monoliths having thousands of referring links

At about that same time, I felt a light bulb starting to glow in my mind

No... this has nothing to do with SEO's

Those thing are for those technically-sound-people

My solution was pretty simple (WORKED FOR ME)

Why try to compete in areas where there is too much competition???

First, think of some area (read as keyword) which currently wouldn't have too much crowding, but quite possible in the future

For e.g. movies that are not yet released

Here is what I did

I created a page offering download links for 'The Mist' (way before the movie was released)

Anyone searching for the mist download would come across my site's listing on the first page of the results

Yes.. there were people out there that actually searched for this

I got a decent 800+ unique hits during the fortnight before the movie's release

After the movie's release, I cudn't find my site listed even in the top 100!!!

BTW, the links weren't dead.. it pointed to the movie trailer :)

Biggest problem I see with your method is the Visitors were interested in the Movie, but what connection exists between the Movie and your site content? Do they return to your site for the actual content? or do you simply intend for this to bump your numbers? Is Unique Visitors a valid count for the worth and placement of your site?

Biggest problem I see with your method is the Visitors were interested in the Movie, but what connection exists between the Movie and your site content?

I dont want to create content which no one wants to read
I am not focussing on returning visitors here

My aim here is to make some quick bucks

It is not exactly ethical, but it is legal

Yes, your page will get a lot of hits because of this, but the people will not read your content. They will just skim it and move on, realizing the site is bogus. They would not click any adverts that you have on your pages.This is pointless.

Yes, your page will get a lot of hits because of this, but the people will not read your content. They will just skim it and move on, realizing the site is bogus. They would not click any adverts that you have on your pages.

You have got me wrong again

I write the content based on the keywords I have chosen
In my case, the page will be centered around 'The Mist'.

As I posted before,
The content is not my focus.
The keywords are.
I change the content based on the keywords.

Yes, your page will get a lot of hits because of this, but the people will not read your content. They will just skim it and move on, realizing the site is bogus. They would not click any adverts that you have on your pages.
This is pointless.

Completely agreed...

You have got me wrong again
I write the content based on the keywords I have chosen
In my case, the page will be centered around 'The Mist'.

As I posted before,
The content is not my focus.
The keywords are.
I change the content based on the keywords.

Ok so bassically, the only reason you have a website is that so you can get hits??? Your not giving anybody anything except a movie trailor they've already seen, and you would have nothing of any value on your website... the longest visitor to your website probably stayed about hmmm.... a minute at the most... You lie to people to get hits, all your links are dead... what the hell... that is so pointless.... you'll have about two returning visitors... that is the most useless and pointless idea ever....

i think you all are missing his point. he optimizes it for a rare keyword and continuously optimizes it when talk of a new movie is coming out to catch that rare keyword. it's actually quite genious. it my not have a lot of relevant content, but if it makes money with adsense, then so what because that was his purpose to begin withnow there is a unwritten moral code that is in question, but i don't think anything is being broken and nobody is getting hurt and if there is a trailer to watch, then that's even better :)thanks for the post bud, others don't get it, i do :D

We get it, we get it... He's trying to make quick buck out of luring people on his page, that has absolutely nothing to do with what they searched... That's very bad practice... I get it he doesn't care about the content, he cares about making keywords that will list his site in the top searches... May work for a while... But Google didn't make this much money, by being stupid... They'll see through this little scheme, and will block your AdSense account, probablt black-list your site... And what did you accomplish? Nothing...I personaly hate when I stumble upon such site, that fakes the content I'm searching for... it really pisses me off... Hopefully that StupidFilter those guys are making, will become functional soon, and will include a filter for such sites...

i gotta agree this method will spike up the number of hits to a website (but still dependent on closely chosen keywords), but i would disagree that it will necessarily translate into an increase in adsense revenue. revenue will still depend on the CTR (click-through rate) and the advertiser rate on their ads. this could possibly translate into income when an advertiser (via adsense) decides to run a campaign on the website with the keywords used, and in this case -- even with a low CTR -- a website can still earn more from adsense since CPM (cost per thousand impressions) is observed.

but it is still a bad habit for a webmaster to "trick" visitors via this technique, as others have already pointed out above. for the most part, it's effects are temporary, like a sputter (short and brief). repeat visitors and relevant content is much more important to really make adsense work.

the REAL secret on adsense success we often read is the multiple websites with a particular niche and particular brand that webmasters develop. :) it's a tall order to develop a niche and a brand, with a high degree of relevant content AND a high level of repeat visitors, but that is what we should aspire for. start slow, and grow steadily -- and not grow fast, and steadily degenerate downhill.

but it is still a bad habit for a webmaster to "trick" visitors via this technique, as others have already pointed out above. for the most part, it's effects are temporary, like a sputter (short and brief). repeat visitors and relevant content is much more important to really make adsense work.

yea, but business is business. i've always believed in the concept that if it works, don't change it. seems to be working for him. he wouldn't have posted it if it didn't. so if it makes him some bucks, great. the last poster who gets sick of websites with no content has a right to his opinion. but my opinion is, it's HIS WEBSITE! it's not anyone elses so who the heck cares how he feels about someone elses website if it is working for him and he is happy with it

he also mentioned he changes keywords. but obviously there is SOME relevant content since google goes by content and outside links. there is no google bombing invloved so obviously there is relevant content and idn't i hear he has a link pointing to a trailer? how relevant do you want?!?!?

I believe you annoyed them. If they came to your site for 'The Mist', that's where you get a page view, but then they realize that all you've got are trailers, which they can easily get from youtube, so they feel cheated and never come back again. Do you think they would even bother looking at your ads and clicking them after you annoyed them so?In my opinion, if you want quick bucks, you've still got to have regular visitors who keep coming back, or even better, introduce your website to their friends. Spruce up your webpage and the original content that it offers. Never lie to your visitors! Most people get turned off by products that offer something but never live up to expectations. Same goes for websites. If you put search terms that do not reflect actual content for your website, all you'll get is the one page view when people enter your website.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

I believe you annoyed them. If they came to your site for 'The Mist', that's where you get a page view, but then they realize that all you've got are trailers, which they can easily get from youtube, so they feel cheated and never come back again. Do you think they would even bother looking at your ads and clicking them after you annoyed them so?
In my opinion, if you want quick bucks, you've still got to have regular visitors who keep coming back, or even better, introduce your website to their friends. Spruce up your webpage and the original content that it offers. Never lie to your visitors! Most people get turned off by products that offer something but never live up to expectations. Same goes for websites. If you put search terms that do not reflect actual content for your website, all you'll get is the one page view when people enter your website.

still missing the point. he doesn't care about repeat visitors. all he cares about is the postenial first time fisitors that will probably never return. now when he bragged about 600 visitors a day, if that is true, then in my opinion, is is doing something right. maybe not perfect, and yes, if it were me, i would do things a little different, but it's his site. he doesn't need repeat visitors he said, he doesn't care about the content, and he only cares about the clicks on the ads

now again, if people are clicking(i don't know why he would go to all the trouble of constanly changing his site if they weren't) then he is doing something RIGHT not WRONG despite other peoples opinon on how he should design his own personal website.

with that said the internet is made up of a diversity of people and information and how that information is accessed. i it were all the same, it would be BORING. i am glad i have a right to create my site however i want to and i am glad other people have that same right. people can pass judgement, but i dare anyone who does to give me their website to crtique because i can pass judgement the same way. fact is, NOTHING will ever be good enough for others, but if what we do makes our own selves happy, then that alone should be good enough

the internet is a library of information but is not bound by limitations or rules. i am glad it's like this because when i create my next site, i don't want people telling me how wrong i am to have built such a site

on the flip side, i doubt i would have done it the same way he did. i feel there is potential for a lot more content and interest but like a lot of people, he's in it for the short term. not the long term. the internet, aside from being a library for information, it is a business marketplace. it's where the little guy can compete with the big guy....espeically if you have that creativeness that can succeed on the net there are no limitations and if there is little content on the page, so what. if people <- snipped -> despite the little content, great. fact is, most people may be disappointed, but some may actually like the ads or the relevant trailer. great....some....so if it doesn't appeal to the masses, it's rubbish? RUBISH i say!

ok now that i made my speech, i will now say how i would run that site. create a relevant domain, create a relevant home page to the entertainment industry. whenever there is a need for new keywords to be used, create a speperate page. takes a couple hours to create a good page with 1 or 2 specific keywords. don't change the main page and put the updated page in a seperate folder or create a subdomain specifically for those 1-2 keywords. the page will still get a high ranking and you never have to change it again. all you have to do is creat a relevent link to that page on your home page. beofre you know it, you will have 100's of pages you never have to edit or modify and at the same time, getting the same amount of hits and your website now is more relevant and will attract long term visitors if you have the upper hand in the movies coming out. people will even start bookmarking your site and you get the repeat visitors. more visitors=more clicks obviously

ok. i'm not judging, i think he has a great concept so i just wanted to give my opinion on impoving the site.

sanjay- why don't you post a link to your site so we all have a better idea of what you're talking about?

Ok, you got the visitors, now what?You win visitors, not members, cause there's nothing related to the search they made...
:)
Right?

Greetz
~
Joăo Lopes

did you read what he posted? he said once he gets the visitors there, they will click on his ads
also, i have created several succesfull sites in the past. not one site was a members site. anyone could surf my sites and browse so having members doesn't disctate anything really...except to hide information from people who aren't members

And for how long will he attract visitors? When people realise his site offers nothing but crap, when his site pops up in a search, they will not click on it again... And why on Earth would anyone click on an ad, on a page that offers no real content?I seriousely doubt he makes any real profit, I bet he's just a kid, who earns 5 to 10 dollars, and thinks it's a great practice... What he actualy does, is degrade the quality of the internet... Hopefully search engine robots will become much smarter in the near future, and that sites like the one this guy makes, will never be show in searches...And anwiii why are you so passionately defending him? Can't he speak for himself? Or are the two of you connected in some way?