xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Vista Sp1 And Windows Xp Sp3

Just days after Microsoft Corp. delivered a release candidate preview for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), it has quietly issued a similar milestone for Windows XP SP3 to about 15,000 testers, the company said.
The service pack, the last major update to the six-year-old operating system, is slated for release sometime in the first half of 2008. Microsoft has not been more specific than that six-month stretch, and Tuesday even took the time to remind everyone that the half-year window is not a lock. "We are targeting [the first half of]2008 for the release of XP SP3 RTM [release to manufacturing], though our timing will always be based on customer feedback as a first priority," a company spokesperson said.

As with Vista SP1, Microsoft at some point will offer a Windows XP SP3 beta to anyone who wants it, the spokesperson said. That timetable, however, was just as iffy as the final release's, with availability set only as "a later date."

Microsoft has said little about what will be in Windows XP SP3, and in general has been reluctant to even mention the update as it publicizes the progress of Vista SP1 in company blogs and regular communications with the press. Analysts have speculated that Microsoft, which has already made several XP-related concessions, including extending support for the aged OS and pushing the end of retail and OEM sales out five more months, wants to downplay SP3 to make sure it doesn't steal any more thunder from Windows Vista.

According to accounts published last month, XP SP3 will feature more than 1,000 hot fixes and patches that have been issued in the past three years, as well as at least four new features, some of which will be ports of Vista tools.

Windows XP debuted in October 2001 and was last updated as SP2 in August 2004.

Jees I wonder why they would want to downplay XP SP3, but I would be curious to know whats all in SP3 as well since XP is going to be here for awhile even after they finally fix the initial bugs to vista. Although if I remember correctly I made a post or read somewhere people thought it was a bit to soon for SP1 to be coming out so soon; can't remember when SP1 one came out for XP since I wasn't keeping current on the news at the time. Although that last paragraph about the 1000 hotfixes perked my interesting since I don't remember being so many of them, but I digress since most of those fixes come in large patches and what not.

VISTA IS SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU HAVE IT YOU SHOULD DOWNGRADE! it doesent even support open GL how insane. Screw vista, why release it when its not ready, microsoft your good, but now YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

Notice from jlhaslip:
removed excessive 'O's

I haven't used it anyway. But I do know that I have to upgrade my systemto run it. But what if a home user be going to upgrade and just use a new OSplus it will slow down your any applications. Personally, it's not reasonable.Additional, I have lookrf around that there are a ton of complain that it very slow,buggy and utilitizing too many resource compared with Windows XP SP2.I'am agree that as IT manager or supporter be run it anyway. Just take alowest graphic card that supported shader 2.0 would be fine .( The Direct X 9 mini. requirement )Other than that, I still wait until most of the major applications that do needrunning on it. But the true is that most of the application do required Windows XP SP2 only.

I read on Slashdot, that one of the bugs SP3 is supposed to fix, has been in Windows since Windows 2000... It's in the pseudo-random number generator... It took a while for Microsoft to admit this bug, but they attempted to wash their hands clean, by saying that a user should obtain administrative priviledges, in order to use thsi exploit... The researchers who found this, say that many common exploits do provide admin access...Also, some of the researchers managed to get a hold of SP3 RC... They tested it, and claim that SP3 runs Office 10% faster than SP2, and that SP3 is considerably faster than Vista SP1... Microsoft is having big problems convincing their business costumers to migrate to Vista... And with right... I mean, who needs graphicaly pleasing system, that doesn't provide functionality, and requires of you to upgrade all the computers in your company? It's ridiculous...

VISTA IS SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU HAVE IT YOU SHOULD DOWNGRADE! it doesent even support open GL how insane. Screw vista, why release it when its not ready, microsoft your good, but now YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

Notice from jlhaslip:
removed excessive 'O's

Well you haven't been paying much attention about OpenGL, so here is some information about what you thought vista doesn't have.

I have to agree with you on that Galahad about "Microsoft is having big problems convincing their business costumers to migrate to Vista." I believe it was mentioned that it would take a couple of years the most for all the big businesses to convert from XP to vista. Of course that begs the question why even bother getting a SP3 out in the first place? It's obvious they want people to run and install vista on their computers, but if your going to give a major upgrade to an older operating system your prologing the fact they won't do it. Of course now the problem is those are just now testing vista out will have to wait even longer until they fully test SP1.

XP is one of Microsoft's most successful operating systems of all time. Of course they would want to keep it up to date, and with all the bad press Vista has been getting lately, I can see why they would want to keep it quiet in the hopes that people will move on to Vista and away from an aging XP which some may think will not receive many more updates.

I thought I toss some more info about the beta testing thats been going with SP3, and that there seems to be an added bonus to the Major update besides fixing everything that has shown up in the last years. It was mention that SP3 boost the speed of office products (interesting). Also They extended support up to 5 years for the Home Edition of XP (very interesting), and they also gave a time table for both SP3 and SP1 and that is sometime next year. So I would say it would be a spring release for these two SP's to be out at the earliest with a summer blast at the lastest.

SOURCE

I'm wondering if they'll fix any of the bugs with Vista SP1, does anybody know the date it comes out or what exactly may or may not be in it? Sorry if it's been posted before but I have a very limited amount of time to be on because my net keeps closing down on me x.x. Again I apologize for asking something that's probably been asked a whole lot before. I'm looking forward tot his honestly, though I've no clue what they could add besides more security hole fixes etc to Vista and Xp, but if anybody has a list or an idea of what will be fixed, like NVIDIA's 8800gtx problem with some games, especially FFXI and a fwe others, I'd love to hear about it, or even ifs omebody reads this and has found a fix already for some things, especiallyt he ffxi thing either PM me or email me if you can ^^ thanks again for any info.

Well the RC releases are next week while the full versions will be release sometime next year, and as for what SP1 will have it supposed to contain 100+ fixes including the ones that are out now and I guess some others. They will also include updates to software drivers and what not to fix the compatibility issues they had from the beginning of this operating system that has caused so many problems to begin with.

This website contains all the fixes that are out right now for vista, and they also include a forum that discusses the SP 1 and what they plan to have. Also this article right here goes into more detail about what SP1 is supposed to contain and what not. Here is some information on what to expect from SP3 and from the looks of besides the 1000 hot fixes that they went for a more secured system this time as well.