xisto Community
mrdee

Getting Rid Of Reappearing Spyware? How do you get rid of it good and proper?

I have often wondered how you can deal with spyware effectively.As a matter of fact, I seem to find spyware more dangerous than viruses.The thing is, I use Spybot search and destroy, gets great write ups everywhere, everyone considers it the best free antispyware program under the sun, however....When i run it, I always get a whole list of threats, and I obviously delete them, after which SpS&D tells me all infections have been cleaned, but my PC still shows the symptoms of being infested (running sluggishly etc.).When I run the program again 2 minutes later, it shows exactly the same infections.The question is: how DO you get rid of spyware once and for all?I have already combined Sp S&D with all sorts (Lavasoft, System mechanic, Windows defender etc.), but when you clean with one program and run another one, that other one is still going to tell you you are full of infection.What can be done to really get rid of spyware or to reduce it to a minimum anyway?Thanks for any advice.

When using Spybot Search and Destroy, try running it from Safe Mode. Safe Mode option can be selected when you press and hold down F8 button when your computer power button is pressed. You will see a DOS like screen with option to run as Safe Mode.What you have is multiplying or regenerating spyware. This is usually an exe or com file that hides under your Internet Temp folder or your main directory (or wherever). When your computer is restarted or starts up this hiding file is accessed and multiplies to install spyware again.Having the latest version of Spybot is very important. Update with the latest Spybot updates and run the scan in Safe Mode. Let us know how it goes.

It did indeed make a difference, BuffaloHELP.Thanks.By the way, the first thing I do whenever I run Spybot S&D is "Check for new updates", so that I am sure I have the latest threat definitions.But, as I said, after the run in Safe Mode (which I think I will do every time I run S&D from now on), I got the message that "No immediate threats were found".Thanks again for the advice.

If you know the name of the spyware, or the files it created, then you should be able to look it up on the Internet. You should then be able to get hold of manual removal instructions or specific tools for removing that one virus/spyware. Symantec are usually pretty good if you know the name of the virus/spyware.

Deleting the files manually within Windows sometimes isn't possible, even in safe mode. In that case you could get hold of a Linux Live CD and delete the files. This means that no files are in use, so there is nothing to stop them being deleted. Just remember though that if you delete the wrong files you could cause a bit of a problem (such as Windows complaining or even failing to start).

I hate those spyware :D it makes you want to find where you got it from who it came from and kick their heads inside out is it spyware or ad-ware? cause thats a common ad-ware sign in which case look in your start-up optionsgo to Start-->run-->msconfig--> startup(tab). look what shouldn't be there alternatively download Threatfire its free kicks *bottom* and has never failed me :DIf worst comes to worst you might have to think about backing up re-installing although sorry to be doom and gloom butif its a virus like some of my clients get the virus "hides" in documents and its difficult to get out, like blood on a white tee-shirt but if you keep scrubbing the tee-shirt theres a chance that it'll come out. So keep trying and make sure to tell us the result :)good luckkarlosantanagetting there :D p.s. whats its name?