xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Forbez

British Government Lose Personal Data

How could they possibly loose 25 million child benefit records?!? I mean it's something pretty basic to not have all data on the same computer and of course have daily backups? Now reading the article one more time and paying more attention I really don't understand if the records in question were lost (like destroyed, no where to be found) or stolen (someone got a copy of them).
It's even worse if someone stole them because it means he has something to gain for selling them. I wonder what would their use be?

Where are you from dragon-samo?

On a side-note... don't consider your prime-minister so important... It's not like he has been prime-minister for long and it's not like he decided to go to a war which is actually not his like the former prime-minister did (the one that everybody knows!)
Edited by adriantc (see edit history)

How could they possibly loose 25 million child benefit records?!? I mean it's something pretty basic to not have all data on the same computer and of course have daily backups? Now reading the article one more time and paying more attention I really don't understand if the records in question were lost (like destroyed, no where to be found) or stolen (someone got a copy of them).It's even worse if someone stole them because it means he has something to gain for selling them. I wonder what would their use be?
On a side-note... don't consider your prime-minister so important... It's not like he has been prime-minister for long and it's not like he decided to go to a war which is actually not his like the former prime-minister did (the one that everybody knows!)

You see where i'm coming from though. It's just common knowledge to know certain leaders. I'll tell you now, everyone knows americas leader, right?

Well I would like to make one correction those discs were a back up copy, or rather a copy being sent to a bank. So you can say this was a stupid security breach then an actual loss of data, but either way the guy will get fired especially on the fact he didn't keep track of those CD's. What I find interesting though is that people would be broadcasting this information thats even more stupid then actually losing the information, and I would believe it would be best to say the data was missing but not mention the fact where that data was last located or what it was on. So everyone that shouldn't be looking for those CD's finds them, but I digress that making it public no one would be stupid enough to use the information days after it went missing.Interestingly enough I know who Brown is if that helps :)

Well I would like to make one correction those discs were a back up copy, or rather a copy being sent to a bank. So you can say this was a stupid security breach then an actual loss of data, but either way the guy will get fired especially on the fact he didn't keep track of those CD's. What I find interesting though is that people would be broadcasting this information thats even more stupid then actually losing the information, and I would believe it would be best to say the data was missing but not mention the fact where that data was last located or what it was on. So everyone that shouldn't be looking for those CD's finds them, but I digress that making it public no one would be stupid enough to use the information days after it went missing.
Interestingly enough I know who Brown is if that helps :)

You see SM is a good man, infact no. He is a great man. Thank you SM, you have proven my point. You are a good, no, great man for this. You live up to the name "Saint".

Hehe. I know who Gordo is, but I'm a brit, so it'd be a poor show if I didn't. Wish he was still locked up doing economics though.Always annoys me that it's the person who makes the mistake that is fired, or the person in charge who steps down (as is the case, IIRC), and never the direct line manager of the person who made the mistake for not training them properly or implementing proper data security procedures.Middle management: we convey the blame both ways. It's either the fault of your slovenly underlings, or the wicked whims of the boss that's to blame. :)

What amazes me is that making the discs in the first place was not only a ridiculous thing to do, but illegal. If I remember correctly it was against the Data Protection Act to have copied all that information to CD. I don't keep a copy of all my own bank details, NI number and all that on a CD - let alone the information for 24,999,999 other people!!!For me this is the final straw for the ID card scheme. If I can't trust the government with 3 or 4 pieces of information then there is no reason why I should trust them with all the information they want to have on ID cards. Still, things just seem to be going from bad to worse with the government at the moment :)