xisto Community
coolcat50

The Future Of Microsoft

There are several economic events that could happen with Microsoft as well as computer standards being changed significantly.

The economic standpoint of Vista will probably cause Microsoft to lose money.

Most games do not work on Vista, but on XP. This causes Microsoft to lose a huge crowd.

A lot of RAM is required to run Vista and it can bug up your system. Again, gamers will stay away from Vista. This also affects developers and programmers.

Other Economic Factors Toward Microsoft in General

Open Source programs becoming abundant. We are seeing that most Microsoft products are becoming replaced by Open Source applications. Firefox, PHP, and C++ are a few examples. I do not know if C++ is open source, but it sure is free. This will cause Microsoft to heavily invest in it's operating system. If the system fails, Microsoft is dead.

Linux and Macs becoming more abundant. I have noticed that a lot of people use Macs and Linux now. My school has Macs as the main computers when before they had PCs.

Bill Gates being stupid. Yes, the lawsuit against Bill Gates certainly isn't helping Vista. Stupid move in my opinion.

Some computer standards are also ruining Microsoft. PHP, Apache, and MySQL are the most popular webservers and are extremely portable. ASP and VBScript are horrible because they really only work in Internet Explorer. This is very annoying.

Yes, I am dissing some of Microsoft's products, but they did have some cool stuff. I am a fan of XP and would choose it over most operating systems. Microsoft Word is great for projects. I can't say much for Notepad because I could make a better web application (Soon to be normal)

Well there are some of my thoughts on Microsoft.

Microsoft is here to stay. They may get a big chunk of their market share eaten away but they are always going to be a power house. Frankly, having a whole bunch of different OS and computer types may sound like a good idea, keep 'em all competative, but if one were to stand back and look at it, in ten years, say we have 5 different OS's and let's say hypothetically they all have equal market share, now think about all the programs and hardware, some of them work here, others there because developers are not going to pay to port to all five OS's. SO my personal opinion is that it's a good thing to have one OS that the majority of the computers run on or else the programming industry may hit a critical mass point where it's not economically feasable anymore because of a large number of OS's as you say will possibly end Microsoft. But there in lies the beauty of Open Source.

Every program cannot be perfect, and I bet Microsoft will be working on a solution to resolve these programming-type issues. Maybe in the next Operating System they might be able to debug many things, and reduce CPU and RAM usage.

You posted this recently about the games not running on Vista but honestly the number of games that won't work properly is very small. So far every game that I have had issues with I was able to find work-arounds for.Microsoft pretty much has a monopoly. People won't go to Unix because it is too hard for them, and won't go to Apple because Windows is much easier.So it does not really matter anymore how good or bad Windows is, people are still going to use it. They have worked their way into a situation where we depend on them, and as long as we do they are able to control us.

Most games do not work on Vista, but on XP. This causes Microsoft to lose a huge crowd.

By now most games work on Vista. Some even require it. When Vista was first launched, this was a very valid criticism, but now the number of games that don't work is limited to those that are old enough to be in bargain bins, if they're being sold at all. Most publishers have released patches for their more recent older games (if that makes sense :) ) so that they work with Vista.

A lot of RAM is required to run Vista and it can bug up your system. Again, gamers will stay away from Vista. This also affects developers and programmers.

RAM now is fairly cheap, and gamers, developers and programmers often have fairly decent systems. Plus, the main audience for Vista is business users, and home users that only do 'basic' tasks (Internet, typing the odd document, storing digital photos, etc.). Gamers and programmers make up a comparatively small section of the market.

Open Source programs becoming abundant. We are seeing that most Microsoft products are becoming replaced by Open Source applications. Firefox, PHP, and C++ are a few examples. I do not know if C++ is open source, but it sure is free. This will cause Microsoft to heavily invest in it's operating system. If the system fails, Microsoft is dead.

Especially in the current economic crisis, people will not be willing to pay a few hundred quid for Vista, then a further few hundred to get their office suite, and then pay for anti-virus and firewall software, and pretty much anything else they want to use. Almost all programs now have a brilliant open source alternative, and they will only become more popular as people start to tighten their belts.

Linux and Macs becoming more abundant. I have noticed that a lot of people use Macs and Linux now. My school has Macs as the main computers when before they had PCs.

Same at my University. More and more PCs, when the time comes to replace them, are being replaced with Macs. I've also seen a lot of people in lectures with laptops running *buntu - even more than the number of Macs.

Some computer standards are also ruining Microsoft. PHP, Apache, and MySQL are the most popular webservers and are extremely portable. ASP and VBScript are horrible because they really only work in Internet Explorer. This is very annoying.

PHP, Apache and MySQL will all run on Windows. Where Windows loses to Linux in the server world is speed, security and stability. ASP is server side, and therefore only works on Windows servers, but it's output can be displayed in any browser.

Uuu... Another Microsoft hater. How original, there are just some millions of you guys :)

Now seriously, I can understand your side. Microsoft is doing some annoying things now and then, but they made computers what they are today, and they deserve their partial monopoly.

[*]Linux and Macs becoming more abundant. I have noticed that a lot of people use Macs and Linux now. My school has Macs as the main computers when before they had PCs.

If you look at polls about market shares, you'll see that Linux is still under 1% and Macs under 5 or 6.

The problem with Linux is that they are a bit too complicated for normal users, and then that there are a lot of programs that don't work in Linux.

The problem with Macs is that they are bastards and they have super-prices for their hardware. Yes, the design is nice, but why pay 2 or 3 times more for the same performance? That's nice about computers, you have a lot of manufacturers, there is competition and therefor lower prices.

ASP and VBScript are horrible because they really only work in Internet Explorer. This is very annoying.

You don't know what you're talking about. ASP.net works perfectly well in all browsers.

There are several economic events that could happen with Microsoft as well as computer standards being changed significantly.

The economic standpoint of Vista will probably cause Microsoft to lose money.

Other Economic Factors Toward Microsoft in General

Bill Gates being stupid. Yes, the lawsuit against Bill Gates certainly isn't helping Vista. Stupid move in my opinion.

Yes, I am dissing some of Microsoft's products, but they did have some cool stuff. I am a fan of XP and would choose it over most operating systems. Microsoft Word is great for projects. I can't say much for Notepad because I could make a better web application (Soon to be normal)

Well there are some of my thoughts on Microsoft.

Microsoft is pretty much stable.. In the sense... if something is not working in Vista.. where do you think people go? To mac?

Definitely not. Its XP... which is again a product of Windows and they are still giving updates to Xp.

Guess whats the best part? -- Windows 7 has already started to send ripples in the community. And I am sure they have got bitter experiences and responses from Vista and I am sure this time they have learnt from the past mistakes and the OS will definitely much much better than Vista and also stable.

I do not think they can lose a major chink of the crowd as the alternatives are very less and not very friendly.

Tell me the OS in which you can install the latest PS games seamlessly and start playing? They are countable and on that front Windows is rock solid and so many vendors are dead dependent on Windows.

So... Microsoft is not losing in any front...

Asp and vb.net internet scripting languages work in any browser.Theyare server side languages.They really have no effect on the client side browser used(Internet explorer,Mozilla,safari etc). Time will tell if Microsofts power base declines.I don't think Linux has reallyhad that much effect on them yet.Perhaps the Mac could keep growing in popularity. I hope they do get some real competition soon.Competition helps bring the price downand Microsoft is way too expensive.

I think that Microsoft will continue to thrive. The reason is simple. Most people are too dependent upon the Windows operating system. No matter how flawed and screwed up it is, people feel comfortable with it. It can be compared to the psychological principle that people are afraid of change. Most won't even give another system a try because they are afraid of how hard it will be to use, or what features they currently use that are not available on it. I am pretty sure that Microsoft already knows this as well.About open source...There are and will always be open source programs to take over for the paid ones. This is because many people are against paying for what "should be" free to begin with. The issue is that most of these do not have the marketing of the name-brand programs. What sells items? Not the features. It's the marketing. You can easily sell an inferior product for the same price as a better one, assuming you can get people to recognize the name and assimilate the two together.No matter what Microsoft does, they will be here to stay. They have made their mark. Microsoft and Bill Gates have the recognition needed to continue their services, so people will remain loyal to them.

I think that Microsoft will continue to thrive. The reason is simple. Most people are too dependent upon the Windows operating system. No matter how flawed and screwed up it is, people feel comfortable with it. It can be compared to the psychological principle that people are afraid of change. Most won't even give another system a try because they are afraid of how hard it will be to use, or what features they currently use that are not available on it. I am pretty sure that Microsoft already knows this as well.
About open source...There are and will always be open source programs to take over for the paid ones. This is because many people are against paying for what "should be" free to begin with. The issue is that most of these do not have the marketing of the name-brand programs. What sells items? Not the features. It's the marketing. You can easily sell an inferior product for the same price as a better one, assuming you can get people to recognize the name and assimilate the two together.

No matter what Microsoft does, they will be here to stay. They have made their mark. Microsoft and Bill Gates have the recognition needed to continue their services, so people will remain loyal to them.

I have to agree, but Microsoft will just have to throw down the flag and team up with Apple. With Fire fox out IE will not last. many have made the switch over and a lot more to come. It is my feeling for Microsoft to stay ahead of the game they must merge with Apple, then get better software programmers to stop all of these flaws all window systems have had. Romor has it that the new operating system after Vista, will be bug free. I doubt it. wouldnt be Microsoft if it didnt have a problem. but I have noticed over the years, from Windows 3.0 to Vista. They have got better at what they are doing.

Yes. Microsoft is here to stay. Some of the strategies they tried so far in this decade are as:1) When they found out the Java's capability to stay on multiple platforms they decided to toss .NET platform for windows. With 3rd party support (Novel) they are penetrating on Linux/Mac/BSD for .NET platform.2) To stay alive in open source competition, even they launched "Codeplex" and "Heroes happen here" and are attracting developers with free professional edition of VS/ and beta releases of OS and final releases of OS.3) Not just in the world of development, but they're promoting their business on blogs also. I remember that during Vista launch a blogger received a Acer Laptop for blogging about Microsoft products. this was another good attempt to attract bloggers as customer.4) With launch of Oxine, they're competing with Drupal, Wordpress on CMS platform battlefield. 5) Some of the upcoming technologies from Microsoft are Surface computing, Cloud computing and WinFS. We'll see at the end of 2010. So all in all, even though many of us hate their products and OS, MS is here to stay. When they'll realize they don't stand in market they'll simply eat their competitor and that's they call business strategy :)

When they'll realize they don't stand in market they'll simply eat their competitor and that's they call business strategy :)

They can't eat Linux though, and I doubt Apple would ever sell out to them :) I see Microsoft becoming more like Google. The Windows OS may fall by the wayside, and their focus will shift to online services to compete with Google. For the first time in years, Microsoft has invested some time and effort in improving Hotmail, for example.

God forbid Microsoft ever thinks that people will accept their operating system no matter how flawed it is, they'll descend into complete and utter failure then. It looks like to me that Microsoft is currently and will remain the biggest name in software, especially to businesses. While many will claim that Apple is better or Linux is better, Apple's marketing and software doesn't appeal to the average consumer as much as they would like to think, and Linux is often too daunting to the standard user, leaving it for true, hardcore computing aficionados. (In fact, I seem to have heard that Microsoft actually owns a bit of Apple)Their future is perhaps the most steady in the world's economy for the simple fact that now that we have them, computers are here to stay, and there's no country in the world that doesn't currently, or won't eventually need them and someone to develop software for them. Yeah, Microsoft may have to rework some things to get around these open source programs like Open Office (don't get me wrong, I think open source is great), Linux, and other fine programs, but there will always be a need for the professional class software that Microsoft produces.

They can't eat Linux though, and I doubt Apple would ever sell out to them I see Microsoft becoming more like Google. The Windows OS may fall by the wayside, and their focus will shift to online services to compete with Google. For the first time in years, Microsoft has invested some time and effort in improving Hotmail, for example.

That's true but they can move their kernel to Linux (So that's like eating your competitor isn't it?) , just like apple did with UNIX kernel(i think it is BSD right). They'll not buy apple, cause they want apple to be in competition that's why they invested in apple remember the time when steve jobs was out of apple?

I agree with you about Microsoft imitating Google's business models like cloud computing and Online services. Microsoft's investment on Hotmail is useless, i didn't find it attractive and worthy enough to use Hotmail now, besides their SPAM filter is worst of all.

I can't see Microsoft going under, ever (at least not in the near future). They pioneered the PC market and brought computers to where they are today. The only other alternatives Mac and Linux each have their own (smaller) market share but thye have their own problems too. Macs are pretty but SO expensive. For the same performance, a Mac would be way more expensive than a PC. For the less competent, Linux may be too confusing, it's not as simple to use as something like Windows.I am using Windows only because it was what I grew up with and am used to. That's the case for alot of people. Once Microsoft gets their business, you stick with them. Unless they produce some extremely horrible operating system turn away their customers, they're pretty much in a stable position.Recently Macs have been appearing more, especially at college there's a couple of computer labs containing only macs now whereas when I started there weren't any macs. But still, PC's and Microsoft will remain dominant as far as I can see.