xisto Community
KansukeKojima

I Finally Got My Site Done! Yay

So after two all nighters I have finally got my website done. I am dead tired.... and I imagine some of my pages are poorly written for that very reason, but at least I'm finally done!!

For those of you that want to see the finished product: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I would also appreciate it if you joined my forum as well, no members yet........ thanks...

I would just like to say: Xisto, I could never have made this with out you... because I'm cheap and I wouldn't buy paid hosting!

hi, just now i went through ur site and saw. It is good for a beginner, please try changing the layouts, the *bottom* colour background ans the black colour font dosent seem to go hand in hand. Check it out.

thanks for the comments. I might see what other color will work... I'm not of what will work though...... any suggestions?

Also, there is now an image gallery that you can post your own art at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I quite like the website overall. It has a nice simple layout and the colours work ok. One thing I would work on is some sort of container which contains all the site, with nice curved edges and all. Then you could build the logo into the layout. The logo is a bit too simple in my opinion, so I suggest doing something with the text. You could even try validating it with W3 and improving the coding with that. I noticed in the code that there is no doc type. It isn't needed, but it's good practice in my opinion to put one in. Also, on the contact us page - maybe build a contact us php form. This will stop people spamming your email.
Using the PHP code:

mail();
It is pretty simple.

Your design does not contrast well enough. I had a difficult time reading because you used very similar colours for the text and background. Try white as a color for the text. I also suggest changing the layout to a div based one instead of a table based one. Then Jim's your uncle.

I have to agree with Tetraca - the colours you have picked do not have enough contrast to make the site easy to read. Change the colours to ones that contrast against eachother more.Also, on the Portfolio page, I noticed that all of the 'thumbnails' are in fact loading the full sized image. You'll need to make copies of your images at smaller sizes and use them for the thumbnails, otherwise they appear to take ages to load.On the programming page, see if you can get a Javascript or PHP script that will do syntax highlighting for you. It looks great and makes the code so much easier to read if it is syntax highlighted.Finally, on the contact page, try putting a contact form on their rather than your email address. It will avoid you getting spam in your inbox (as spiders won't be able to see your address) and your users won't need to fire up their email program to contact you.

remember a site is never completely finished, those that are 100% complete are dead. Remember to update it often. I agree with the people above, the text isn't light enough, I would recommend using a lighter shade as it is a bit hard to read at the moment. Also validate it in W3 it'll improve the code and make itt more compatible with other browsers. Also consider putting in a DOCTYPE tag, it doesn't do much but in my opinion it really shows what language you are writing in (HTML is split into Strict and Transitional and has many different versions). You might want to consider making a decent navigation bar, the one at the moment might be missed by a few people...I liked the site overall althrough the design seems to be a little familiar (not saying you used a template or anything) but the design just looks familiar.

Yeah the grey needs to go unless you do some gradients and try for a vista glass look, or go for some more color. The layout is very basic but thats where a version to comes into play in which I would recommend some of these sites to get some tips and idea's on what your next website could be like. http://www.alvit.de/handbook/ http://www.oswd.org/

Also since your going for a portfolio look I would suggest using the lightbox script to give some web 2.0 look to it, as It is very easy to set up and run on your site. Also look into some php to add a bit of interactivity, such as adding a comments section to your graphics and tutorials and such.

All of the above, plus:The header Logo needs to have a border the same style as the other div's to maintain a consistent look to the page.I like the simplicity of your page. Nice and clean layout.

Holy cow... that quite a bit everyone! By the way... I changed the color schemes slightly... its all I have time for yet...

page background: #727272

text areas background: #e5e5e5

text color: #000000

So are these easy to read, and do they look better in general? I think that they contrast way better... I have to change my blog yet....

My blog colors are still the same as they original colors for now.... I'll change it later (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for reference to old colors)

Also, whoever asked who made my logo... I made the banner if thats what your reffering to when you say logo...

Jhaslip, I made a border around the banner.... solid black... does it look good?

I'll build an email form later... that probably a way better idea than just listing my email...

I'll make me some thumbnails later too... I noticed full images with size edits loaded a little slower... I'll fix it asap

I'll try to add lightbox later.

Thanks again for your critiques... thanks for the help & coments in general! They have reeeeaaaallllyyyy helped...

Not a bad site for a beginner but there are numerous things that can be done to fix your site. First of all, i would rework the layout just a little bit. It is nice and clean but its hard to see your sections. I would add a sidebar that contains your links on it since most people look for them there and then i would create a container to hold your whole site. The background between sections on your main page is a bit wierd and just does not let your site flow well. So if you put a container, you can set its background a shader or 2 light than the background so you can differentiate the main part of your site from the backgroud. From here, i would add a bit more color and a few more images to make the site look a bit more attractive and then you will have a pretty good site.

Ok I've fixed a few things so far:

the navigation is now beside the main content area instead of at the top

the contact page now has a form instead of just my email...
From fffanatics

...and then i would create a container to hold your whole site. The background between sections on your main page is a bit wierd and just does not let your site flow well.

What exactly do you mean...? I don't get what your saying, and I want to fix it...
Edited by KansukeKojima (see edit history)

I like it to be honest. He has done the basics for the website, he can easly expand and change the style. But the coding and the actual foudation of the website is complete. He has done the easy part, all that is left is to add a fancy style.I admire you, I always go straight into the design first. I should, and will, start with the coding and finish with the style.