xisto Community
mrdee

Cannot Ftp Anymore All of a sudden, FTP went.

I have a weird problem:since this afternoon, all of a sudden I cannot FTP anymore.I have not changed anything to my setup or system but all of a sudden it happened.It does not work with WS FTP, Dreamweaver, Coffeecup or Filezilla.It always used to work perfectly before.The only thing that helps is turning the Windows firewall off.I have also added Filezilla to the exceptions of Windows firewall, but to no avail.I also tried to add port 21, no luck there.(I wonder if I did it correctly, though, I just went into 'Exceptions->Add port', then added 21, named it FTP and added it as YCP, I also tried with UDP, no luck in either case).I use Win XP SP2, Win firewall enabled, all my FTP clients in passive mode and on port 21.I don't know what happened, this problem started this afternoon, without me making any changes at all and it always worked before.If anyone knows a solution, please help, as I do not trust turning the Firewall off for too long.Any help will be very gratefully appreciated.Thank you very much in advance.

I would suggest doing a system restore to the last good setting your ftp was able to work, since nothing else comes to mind why your ftop software has been locked out. Of course you should check to make sure your ftp settings are correct for your account as that could be the other problem. Worse case scenario would be to uninstall the software and then reinstall it again and see what happens, but do hte system restore first and see if that helps out.

Thanks,I have now some additional information:It happens after I have used EasyHide IP, a program to hide your real IP address.In Firefox, which I use, you have to go through 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and then switch back to "Direct connection to Internet" after use.In IE, you do not have to change anything, it happens automatically.Yet, the FTP problem exists whether I use Firefox or IE.When I reboot my machine, FTP works again too, but that is until i use EasyHide IP again.Does that ring any bells with anyone?Thanks.

Then I would disable the easyhide IP program and run your FTP off your real IP, although I don't think hding your IP shouldn't matter all that much since your connecting to the web host. However, maybe due to security reason it needs the IP address you signed up on your account in order to log in. I never heard of the Easy Hide program your using but I believe that is where your problem is at with this program.

I always restore my real IP and switch the program off when I am finished with it.
But my PC (or is it Windows?) is not having it.
I have to reboot or switch the firewall off if I want to FTP.

Thanks for your help so far.

I seem to have solved my problem.
I simply dumped Windows firewall and installed Comodo instead,

Everything seems to work now.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Oops, had already posted that, that's why I edited.
please ignore this post, it was unintentional.
One thing to add though, Comodo Firewall Pro is freeware.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Merged Posts.
Board Rules
Please use the Edit feature to avoid double posting.

Well its seems that you fixed, interesting that windows firewall is caused the problem, but I still think its the easy hide program that is the cause of the problems though. So I would uninstall it and remove any trace of it, and of course turn your windows firewall back on and see whats up because I don't believe windows would intentionally mess around with your IP number.

However, I have an interesting idea that you could test out, and so here are the steps you should take to see what happens.

1. Open up a command prompt window.

2. then type this in ipconfig /release and press enter.

3. Then type ipconfig /renew and then press enter.

By doing this at the command level you could fix the problem your having, but of course you would have to do this every time you run ftp software and stuff. What this command line does is releases the IP address that your using, or rather it releases both IP addresses your using and then when you renew it, you will get the primary IP address for your connection. So try this out and see what happens and report back.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)