xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DemonReaper

Hey I Am Having Problems With My Computer i think i need a new hard drive

Hi every body! I installed a liteon cd-dvd writer, and since then everytime i try to start my pci have to try at least 3 times (stays on asrock)When it finally boots bios screan appears and states:System failed to boot several times before you must enter setupto reconfigure system.I have no idea what to do so i exit system screen.Can somebody please help. thank in advance.i contacted my friend and he said *no a real quote i just summed it up*Either the hard drive is faulty or the BIOS is not setup to detect it.If you haven't changed any BIOS settings recently then I'd go with the faulty hard drive.That is why the post screen hangs longer than normal as it is having trouble reading the hard drive.i contacted hp and they said i should by a new hard drive. and i dont really have the money for it.can any1 help methanks again-demon

Try taking out the drive and booting. If it boots, then it sounds like something is wrong with the drive perhaps, or the BIOS isn't set up correct for it.

Hmm I would try removing the new cd drive you installed so pretty much reverting back to old setup. See if it still works if not try resetting bios to default setting. good luck.

interesting that a CD rom would fail the BIOS like that unless of course the BIOS didn't recognize the CD ROM drive and this case you have to do several things.First Remove the CD ROM drive and install it on a new computer, making sure that your connections are secured. Then run that computer and see if you get the same error, if so enter BIOS and see if it even recognizes the CD ROM drive. If not check your connections again and if you have to manually enter the CD ROM in depending on the motherboard and what.Then during that test put your old CD ROM drive back and run the computer to see if you get that error, if not then the problem lies in with the new CD ROM drive and its connection to the motherboard. So now if you don't get any problems with the first test then reinstall the CD ROM and make sure it is receiving power from the power supply and is connect to the motherboard and run it again. Usually motherboard will recognize the CD-ROM right away, of course it is helpful to make sure your motherboard drivers are updated as well, and so you want to FLASH your BIOS and that could correct the CD ROM drive from not installing.No you don't need a new hard drive as that is the ridiculous answer for a problem that is caused by the CD ROM drive. Remember CMOS has all the hardware information store on that chip and the only reason you would replace your hard drive would be if something is wrong with it.To sum up, check all your connections to make sure your CD ROM is connected properly, test the CD ROM drive on another computer to make sure its not your computer, and run your computer without that CD ROM drive to make sure no errors pop up.

Most likely cause of the situation is the jumper setting not set properly. One must be set to MASTER and the other as SLAVE, connecting the end of the cable to MASTER drive and the middle to SLAVE drive.Hence the suggestions: take out the newly installed drive and see if your computer boots up as normal.The alternative of setting to MASTER and SLAVE is to select both drives as CABLE SELECT. This may slow down the initial POST screen. This depends on which BIOS manufacture you have as your motherboard.

yes, buffaloHELP is correct. It must be the jumpers (nothing else could be causing the problem). Take the jumper out of the CD-ROM's IDE slot (Or SATA) and then plug it in, if it still doesn't work take it out and then see if it works. Also make sure that your BIOS is up to date and that your plugging t in the correct plug (Not floppy or something like that)also check to make sure their aren't too much dust that could of short-circuited some circuits...