xisto Community
mrdee

Practice Needed Looking for exercises about PHP

Hi,Has anyone got any idea about where I could find some exercises related to PHP?I have already found some great books which taught me a lot in a short time, same for places on the net, but what I really need is something like (Be it a book or web site): 'We have now covered this topic, now, write a program that does this and that, using the material you have just studied'.What I have seems to lack that, and i think that would be the best help for me, learning by doing things.So, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.Thank you very much in advance.

Well, I don't know of any resources, but one thing you could do is think of any real world situation and then fix it. such as "a user comes up to me and asks for a page that users can use to send email to him without them finding out his email address". Or you could do something completely different. If that doesn't work you could go around the web and look at websites that are built with PHP and try and rebuild the PHP part of that website.

The best thing I can think of to help practice with PHP is to try and make your own forum. You can start out with a template, but only use it for ideas, and when you get completely stumped.It's a really hard project to start out with, so you might want to start out with a comments page or something to make sure you know how to do database connectivity, but if you can make a full, working forum, then you can pretty truthfully say you know a LOT about PHP. And making a forum isn't really about knowing a lot about PHP, it's about knowing programming in general, you just have to keep it organized, and you'll learn a lot about PHP and mySQL along the way.If you're into programming at all, it should be pretty fun, too.

Yes, a forum would indeed be difficult for a beginner like me.What exactly is a CMS? Does the MS stand for Messaging System?And, where can I find sort of templates or skeleton forms for those.By the way, thanks for the help so far, everyone.