xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

Talk About Girl Power... Ashley Qualls And Whateverlife.com how a girl took 8.00 she borrowed from her mother and turned it

Here is a link to an article about Ashley Qualls and her popular myspace goodie site http://whateverlife.com/

And a story about how she took $8.00 from her mom and turned it into over $1,000,000

https://www.fastcompany.com/60278/girl-power

I can honestly say I'm rather supprised. First of all, 17 year olds don't normally make that much money in less than two years... I don't think my parents make that much in two years... I'll have to ask. There is sooooooo much spam ads on her site... it takes forever to load, but let me tell you, she has LOADS of content. If you can't find something on her site to put on your myspace, than your either A.) a VERY small minority, b.) Picky, or C.) Like me and you got sick of putting up with spam.

I have seen some of her graphics, she has SO many... They are truly amazing.

I hope my website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ will measure up someday :rolleyes:

So they basically make myspace webpages? That really clever, myspace is constantly growing by the second. More and more people want to ahve their own myspace. They also want theirs to be the best. I know the people I meet would have almost contest like situations where they want to see who has the best designed . Also most friends, and most veiws and all that.

So they basically make myspace webpages? That really clever, myspace is constantly growing by the second. More and more people want to ahve their own myspace. They also want theirs to be the best. I know the people I meet would have almost contest like situations where they want to see who has the best designed . Also most friends, and most veiws and all that.

Hmmmmm Forbez, me thinks you have something!
I could hold "Best Myspace" contests on my website! Hahaha I'm genius!

Also, if you have an idea of what I should add to my site, feel free to fill me in!

The problem with Ashley's site is, infact, it has too many graphics and takes a longggggg time to load on a slower internet connection. . . I have DSL and it takes like 5 minutes to load completely without freezing the browser window. . . she needs to take some of those graphics off, or she will end up losing business and visitors.Otherwise, I don't think that girl has much of a social life, but hell, the girl made one-million dollars off of that site and I guess that makes up for it. . .

Ok so when I first heard about ashley qualls it just amazed me,I mean how can a girl at 17 years of age could have earned a miilion dollars with a little website.I think the myspace layouts helped that girl,but this is really amazing.
I too one day would want to earn a million dollar like ashley,but thats difficult,but there's no problem in trying it.Who knows I might one day become a millionaire.
But I also think the efforts of google are great,they provide adsense and if this service is used correctly,then there's no problem in earning money,although it may be not as high as $1,000,000.

The problem with Ashley's site is, infact, it has too many graphics and takes a longggggg time to load on a slower internet connection. . . I have DSL and it takes like 5 minutes to load completely without freezing the browser window. . . she needs to take some of those graphics off, or she will end up losing business and visitors.
Otherwise, I don't think that girl has much of a social life, but hell, the girl made one-million dollars off of that site and I guess that makes up for it. . .

yes I too think the are lot of graphics there and I am too having a slow net connection,mine is actually dialup connection.If I make my site then there would be surely less graphics there as I don't want the slow internet users to get distracted from my site.
Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)

Woah, she truly is an insipration.

I wish I could create a site like this. Infact, that's what I'm going to do *thinks of an idea*

Wow, her website is extremely laggy :o

But the content is there, I wish I wish I could make a content site like download or digg

I need a catchy phrase

Can you gnarfard this?

What the gnarfard?

--

What I see now is that resource-applying sites like her myspace layouts are what bring the visitors in and back to your site

Dropped out of high school, made a website at 17 with loads of content, rejected an offer close to 1.5million or more and a car of her choice can't get any better for her.

And the scary part is that the growth is there, but its limitless she could become an internet tycoon! Let's follow in her footsteps..

Edited by Reekun (see edit history)

At 17 going on 37 (at least), Ashley is very much an Internet professional. In the less than two years since Whateverlife took off, she has dropped out of high school, bought a house, helped launch artists such as Lily Allen, and rejected offers to buy her young company. Although Ashley was flattered to be offered $1.5 million and a car of her choice--as long as the price tag wasn't more than $100,000--she responded, in effect, Whatever. :o "I don't even have my license yet," she says.

This paragraph had made me speechless! Dropped out of high school, made a website at 17 with loads of content, rejected an offer close to 1.5million or more and a car of her choice can't get any better for her. Doing something like that had to get incredible luck just to do all of that. I wouldn't dropped out of high school just to do something like that, maybe a side-job while attending high school.

According to Google Analytics, Whateverlife attracts more than 7 million individuals and 60 million page views a month. That's a larger audience than the circulations of Seventeen, Teen Vogue, and CosmoGirl!

That's impressive stats to have in what how many years. It would probably taken me 5-10years to get something like that.

Overall, she's one impressive person to be -- that's a fact.

I wonder how long she spends making all those layouts....I love making layouts too and I totally understand her decision to drop out of school to work on her site. If only I have my own credit card...I'll immediately bought my own domain and start a proper graphics site :o

huh..that's cool, all you need is good photoshop skills and css knowledge ...it's a good idea but I really care more about the site's usability.it's a good idea to abandon school also.. :)thanks God there re enough stupid or with little time people otherwise this job can be done by everyone..

Edited by Sica-GURU (see edit history)

I would never drop out of school to make a website... In my eyes she has way to much ads. It is just plain annoying and her site is definitely not on my top list of "websites to visit." Sure she is pretty good with Photoshop, but those ads... If she truly was interested in graphics she would not put so many on her site. (Sure she can be into money and graphics, but there are too many of them!)She is good though.

Wow, it must be nice to be so lucky. I'm just thinking of how many people have tried things like that and not managed to make it very far like her. I wonder if she'd totally amazing (which she must be with the $1 million... ) or if she happened to be at the right place at the right time so to speak. A lot of times all it takes is for the right people to see your site, and then your set. Still, it's nice to see some young females striking gold :)