xisto Community
deepod

Home Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

Hi,I have a wireless broadband connection that is being distributed around my house using a belkin adsl wireless router. I connect to the internet through 2 machines. One is a laptop with a wireless card running XP and the other is a PC running Vista and connecting with the Belkin Usb stick provided. I have no problems connecting but the internet is slow slow. I am on an up to 8mb package with virgin, but i have done several speed tests and im not even reaching a megabyte. Also on my laptop every so often the connection speed drops heavily, the internet hangs and then seems to pick up again and carry on. I have tried re-setting the router and speed still badAny suggestions ?:rolleyes:

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This is the last time a short topic title will be managed by a moderator. Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible.

I run a similar belkin and occasionally, the signal drops and needs a reset, too, but not a big deal. about once a week only.Also, I notice when there are two of us on the system together, there is a drop in speed, or when the neighbourhood kids are not in school, the speed lags a little, so, check that you have 'secured' the router from intrusions and also keep in mind that there are other considerations for the available speed on your system. Even though they may not be on your Router, other connections at the nearest Server could be having an impact on your speeds.

I am on an up to 8mb package with virgin, but i have done several speed tests and im not even reaching a megabyte.

This is often due to ISPs using misleading marketing, advertising and sales. The key phrase here is up to. If you live right next to their Internet backbone and use the best hardware in the business, you'll get 8mbps. However, most people are not in that situation. For example, I live around 2.5 miles from the nearest telephone exchange, which physically limits my connection to 1.2mbps due to deterioration in the quality of the signal over the distance. Check how far away from the nearest exchange you are, and you should be able to roughly work out what speed you'll get.

Also on my laptop every so often the connection speed drops heavily, the internet hangs and then seems to pick up again and carry on.

Check for interference. Any wireless device (DECT phones, mobile phones, radios, anything) could theoretically have an effect on the signal. Mobile phones check for new messages etc. every few minutes (depending on model and network). If you've got a mobile, try turning it off and see if the wireless connection is more reliable. The same goes for other wireless devices. Eventually you should be able to isolate which one is giving you grief. Alternatively check each wireless device for the frequencies it uses and make sure you have nothing using the same frequency as the wireless router.

Hummm, so it could be that Belkin networking system may be at fault?To test out, in any case, is to have a control system. And compare the control system to the testing system.Control system:Connect a computer to ADSL modem, bypassing any router. This will determine if the control system is delivering the "promised" bandwidth speed. Go to any speed test or bandwidth test sites and measure your speed. If at this point the speed fails to provide the "promised" bandwidth from your ISP, i.e. Virgin, then the problem is with your ISP.Testing system:Once you confirm that connecting directly to ADSL does not affect your bandwidth speed, connect ADSL to your Belkin router. Connect only ONE computer to this router using the network cable (not wireless). Repeat the speed test from the same site you visited with the control system. Note the difference. If it's not by much, at least you know that the Router is not the issue.And then test out the wireless connection by visiting the same speed test site. You can determine which is the single point of a failure, if not, multiple failures.

Hi,
I have a wireless broadband connection that is being distributed around my house using a belkin adsl wireless router. I connect to the internet through 2 machines. One is a laptop with a wireless card running XP and the other is a PC running Vista and connecting with the Belkin Usb stick provided. I have no problems connecting but the internet is slow slow. I am on an up to 8mb package with virgin, but i have done several speed tests and im not even reaching a megabyte. Also on my laptop every so often the connection speed drops heavily, the internet hangs and then seems to pick up again and carry on. I have tried re-setting the router and speed still bad

Any suggestions ?

:rolleyes:

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This is the last time a short topic title will be managed by a moderator. Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible.

the key words is "up to". buffalo help had the same idea i was going to recomend, but before you go to that trouble, i would call your provider and ask them. sometimes the slow connection is due to how far away you are from their base. the further your home is away, the slower the connection. so what it could possibly be is that they just didn't tell ya how fast exactly. i'm sure the homes closest to their base get that 8mb and hey may cover such a wide territory and you're just on the outskirts of it. check with them first. if you know any neighbors that have the same providors, ask them what their connection speed is too. but i would call them first before trying to diagnose the problem as suggested. could be a simple answer and you'd just be wasting your time. it will be a downer if you find out it's a distance thing and cannot be fixed so cross your fingers

AHA.The problem at stake is that your router is wireless. People living within a Wi-Fi range of your house may be connecting to your internet therefore slowing down the speeds. Why you ask? Well that's because the speed is now shared. For example:-I am running a 1MB internet connection.I have one of the best "Wireless" Routers.My internet is working fine but suddenly my internet speeds drop.I go to my neighbours house for dinner or something I see that they have no router for their laptop and thereore must be using a dial-up connectionTheir laptop has a Wireless Lan built-inTheir internet is quite fast for a dial-up Connection.And what's this you find out? Their connecting to your internet.So now the spped are shared 50/50 between the two of your'll. If another comes in haha say hello to dial-up. See even i have a wireless connection and my PSP was able to connect to my internet. I got a little scared so i went into my Routers specified Control panel and changed the security options to only allow certain MAC adresses that i input from the control Panel. SO now my PSP is the only Wi-Fi thing accesible to my internetHope i helped you

AHA.The problem at stake is that your router is wireless. People living within a Wi-Fi range of your house may be connecting to your internet therefore slowing down the speeds. Why you ask? Well that's because the speed is now shared. For example:-

I am running a 1MB internet connection.
I have one of the best "Wireless" Routers.
My internet is working fine but suddenly my internet speeds drop.
I go to my neighbours house for dinner or something
I see that they have no router for their laptop and thereore must be using a dial-up connection
Their laptop has a Wireless Lan built-in
Their internet is quite fast for a dial-up Connection.
And what's this you find out? Their connecting to your internet.

So now the spped are shared 50/50 between the two of your'll. If another comes in haha say hello to dial-up. See even i have a wireless connection and my PSP was able to connect to my internet. I got a little scared so i went into my Routers specified Control panel and changed the security options to only allow certain MAC adresses that i input from the control Panel. SO now my PSP is the only Wi-Fi thing accesible to my internet

Hope i helped you

ahah! good call! yea, i don't know too much about wirless connection, but i love my laptop for it when i'm traveling. tapping off someone elses connection is easy. but does that explain the 8mb to less than a mb connection speed? that seems pretty drastic even when you're sharing a connection. you're gonna have to have several people sharing that connection all at once especially knowing that 99% of the people online pay for a provider. how far does wirless extend? 1/2 mile for a clear connection? i hadn't thought about that though. that's a high possibility to his problem....or part of his problem! good call!

this is where buffalohelp's help will come in handy. test your connection without wireless and see what your speed is. will give you some idea of what your speed should be depending on the distance factor....then you can do what ridwan suggested. i wouldn't know how specifically to limit ip addresses to only your two computers though. your isp should be able to help ya or maybe ridwan or someone else can tell ya how.

let us know what the problem was and how you fixed it. i'm curious now. i'm thinking of going wirless broadband through a company called embarq soon so it's usefull to know any unforeseen problems before they happen. let us know, bud!

hey all the above reasons are fine , but the thing is that ther are some other critical reasons that though you recieve sufficient bandwidth too some times the connection seems to be slow if your temprory files are over loaded. I have experienced this once, just follow this a and give a try , go to start ----->run--->in that type %temp% , now a window opens having all your temprory files related to the internet , just select all and give shift delete , now restart the computera nd try connecting to the internet , then you may feel a diffrence,,

A few months ago Virgin announced any site that doesnt support virgin eg GOOGLE.COM, they would make it slow down, even though your paying for an 8mb speed, they dont tell you it will only be that on Virgin supported sites. Try going on Virgin and see how quickly it loads compared to Google. Change to SKY Broadband or AOL, I hear that they are quite good. Good Luck!

why does my network run sooooooo slow/Home Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

I have 2 computers networked to the same dsl connection using a netgear router, it says its wireless but I don't understand how since it uses wires, but anyways, when I run just one without the router it runs fast, but when I network it runs slower than dial-up... Why is this? How can I fix it? 

-question by james

to beat the problem go with d-link network router and d-link usb wireless network I, only using a d-link dir-300 router and a d-link wireless g usb adapter  dwa-110 and both only designed to run 54mb I have no problem moving large files or video streaming best ever come across

speed issuesHome Network Connection Speed Is Very SlowReplying to deepodI think you may have misunderstood your 8Mb internt plan.8Mb (megabits) = 1MB (megabytes)In your first post you said you cant reach a megabyte when using speedtests, which sounds normal. Its always improbable for anyone to reach the maximum speed stated by the ISP which in your case is 8Mb or 1MB-reply by Brock

WRT54G Linksys router only disconnects when streaming video, all other connections status: stableHome Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

I have a WRT54G Linksys router set up to use the MAC ID for all wireless connected devices; IDell Inspiron E1505 laptop, 1.66MHertz, 1GB RAM, Dell 1394 wireless network card and a Brother MFC665CW built-in wireless multifunction printer. The entire WLAN home system works fine except for not being able to play streaming video without losing connectivity. I can sometimes repair the network connection using windows repair connection but sometimes not. I can always restore good connectivity by power cycling down the computer, router and modem and reconnecting and powering up each device in the reverse order. E-mail and browsing is never a problem; it is limited to streaming video.

I do not experience dropped wireless connections except when attempting to watch streaming video, mostly low def. The router broadcast speed almost always shows 54 MB/S. Rarely it will show 48 MB/S.

I thought my problem was due to my slow Clearwire.Net download speed which is supposed to be up to 768 kb/s. Speed tests results verified I was getting the full 768 kb/s speed and that was tested using the wireless router. I upgraded to the 2MB/s plan and speed test using the router verified I was receiving the promised speeds. I still lose my wireless connection when I try to play streaming video.

I bypassed the WRT54G Linksys router and used an ethernet connection from the Clearwire Modem to the Laptop and playing streaming video is no problem I also ran another speed test and the results were the same through the router directly connected to the modem. I am getting at least the 2 MB/S download speed.

I have read a lot about streaming video problems associated with wireless routers but I have not found any technical reason why I shold be having any problem with video only with verified adequate speed and why I should have router disconnecting only while playing on-line videos. Does anyone have any insights as to what if anything there is that I can do to be able to view videos using my wireless set up?

My simplest solution is to use a direct ethernet connection between the laptop and clearwire modem when I watch streaming video but plug the modem into the router for all other routine surfing.E-mail and wireless printing.

-reply by Larry Waybright

Good wireless with 2 out of 3 computers... and the same laptop is low hardwired.Home Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

I start up the laptop.  It says Very Good connection with wireless.  My worklappy is the same side by side.  After a half hour or less my personal laptop just goes into a low connection mode.  Originally I thought bad wireless card.  So I connected it up to my router... And it still had a low connection.  all settings on the laptop match my work laptop and my home computer.  I am thinking this could be some kind of problem with the software but I don't know where to begin.   Any suggestions?

-reply by James