xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AskAndrewD

Programmers Galore! Share your programming experience, etc...

I have been programming since I was 7. The real programming started at about 11-12. I have made hundreds of games and had thousands of failed game attempts. I mostly make games but I also like making other programs too. My favorite type of game to make is strategy.How long have you been programming?What types of games/programs do you like to make?What program do you use to make them?Do you plan on getting a career in computer software?If so, then in what areas? Engineering or another?

I've been programming since 7th grade (i'm in 12th now). I started out with my dad's old C++ book and then about a year later moved to OpenGL. I make games too, but mainly because I can't make anything else really; though, i am starting to get more into applications too now. I like more first person shooter games, but i'm working on a 2d scroller game for a contest just for time and ease. I've probably only completed 2 games (battleship and pong), but have incompleted about 3 dozen, I hope to finish this contest one though :rolleyes:. I'm also working on a hobby game that is FPS genre except without the shoot-em-up. It's actually a recreation of the harry potter quidditch game except instead of only being 2-player like the EA games version it is 14 player and you can play as everything, I'm trying to make it as real as possible. It's no where near done, but you can get the beta version of it here.

My compiler is microsoft visual C++ 6.0, i've been using it since I started. I do plan on getting a career in programming, but I'm not so hard set on game programming, I think i'd probably do better in application programming anyways. I think my biggest dream is to eventually work for Google, but I'm probably going to start out by working for IBM.

I have been programming since 5th grade but major programming since 7th. In that time i have learned C, C++, Java, OpenGL, GLSL, DirectX and HLSL and many other languages. Currently, I am a senior in college and will be persuing a career in programming. Right now it looks like i will be an applications developer for an investment bank. The types of programs i currently make are a broad range. I write games (including a counter-strike clone in java and opengl currently for a class project), applications, websites, and do research in new techniques. What i use to develop these programs all depend on the language and their application. I tend to use either Visual Studio or Eclipse.